Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #41
jaydub74
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Gaudreau and Monahan had better show up tonight.
By Gaudreau and Monahan you really mean Monahan right. If Monahan isn't scoring, the guy is invisible. He has an incredible shot no doubt, but his game is so one dimensional its frustrating. I wish he'd realize his size, and add a little bite to his game, he could learn something from Bennett.
jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaydub74 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #42
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'm not sure that's fair to Monahan. Against Toronto he made 3 great plays I can remember to set teammates up for Grade A chances.

He outworked 3 Leafs trying to leave their zone, striping them of the puck and setting Lindholm and Gaudreau up for a 2 on 1. Lindholm shot it through Anderson who caught a piece with his heel deflecting it just wide.

He also made the great breakaway pass to Czarnik.

And he stripped a Leafs Dman of the puck trying to rush the puck up the ice in the 2nd, creating a 3 on 1.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #43
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub74 View Post
By Gaudreau and Monahan you really mean Monahan right. If Monahan isn't scoring, the guy is invisible. He has an incredible shot no doubt, but his game is so one dimensional its frustrating. I wish he'd realize his size, and add a little bite to his game, he could learn something from Bennett.
Yeah, there's a lot more disparity in the quality of Monahan's game. But I'd like to see Gaudreau get back to his pre-ASG levels, too. He's overdue for a three-point night.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #44
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a good feeling about tonight's game. Think it's going to be a 5-2 victory for the Flames if the goaltending bounces back. I actually don't think the Flames team as a whole played bad in their two losses. Just some bad breaks and mediocre goaltending.

And it's not like Vegas has been lights out. Yah, they've won 4 in a row, but they weren't against strong opponents either. I think the team is very beatable.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #45
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind the late start, and I'd even go as far as to say I prefer it. Get the kid in bed, open a beer, and enjoy. I usually avoid the score and watch the games on my PVR anyway and play catch-up by skipping ads and intermissions, so I guess I'll just catch up to "live" sooner than usual.

A friend (and I later found out, also a CP member) and I have actually been waiting for a late weeknight one when we are both available to watch a game.

This will be a big test for the Flames. Although I didn't think that they played as badly as the scores were vs. Minnesota and Toronto, they'll need to be firing on all cylinders tonight. I'd expect it to be closer and tidier than the last two games. Hopefully with a solid and confidence-building goaltending performance.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #46
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK gang, so on my actual 40th, the flames beat the ducks 2-1. Now I'm in Vegas with 3 other buddies celebrating my 40th for the week. Super pumped to go to the game tonight. So it's 4-0 good guys tonight. Hoping that Golden Knights fans are pretty friendly!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #47
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary has a few issues of late...but they are hopefully just lulls in a long season...

the big concern for me is and remains goaltending...but that's something they'll have to ride out this year and address in the off season if it is still an issue.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #48
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Marsh View Post
I think posters have every right to be concerned about the way the team has been playing lately, and I'm not just referring to the last two games.

I also think that posters who simply point to the standings, and proclaim "1st in the West, nothing to see here!" while ignoring the last number of games and how the team has been tending lately, and who are dismissing the concerns of others who have noticed those trends as "crap like this", are completely off-side.

I'm stealing/quoting from Flash Walken here, but please consider the following:

PP is 23rd in the league since Feb 1. 3rd in PP opportunities.

19th in PK%

17th in the league in goals for since Feb 1.

12th in the league in goals against since Feb 1.

19th in Even Strength goals for since Feb 1.

None of this screams "1st place team" to me. There are lots of reasons to be concerned about the teams' recent play, and about their game in Las Vegas. The team is struggling right now and has been for a while.

Hopefully they come out with something to prove tonight. Go Flames Go!!
There is some hair on the numbers if you dig in a bit though.

Powerplay:
- shot attempts way up in February and March compared to the previous months
- Scoring chance rates way up compared to Jan and before
- high danger rates at least comparable in February, way up in two March games
- the shooting percentage plummeted in February and took the powerplay with it, the chances were there.

Penalty Kill:
- giving up way too much in February, season highs in scoring chances and high danger rates against
- overall consistent in goals against per month

Five Five:
- new season high marks in shot attempts for (Feb/Mar)
- Feb was the second lowest months in shot attempts against (rate)
- average in terms of scoring chances against (Dec and Oct worse)
- shooting percentage five on five went from 10+ in Dec and Jan to 8.7% in Feb and only 4.5% in March to date.

They're not playing all that bad, but their goal scorers are no longer putting the puck in the net.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #49
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man would it be great to get a statement win tonight, whatever that looks like (even if it means a loss in AZ tomorrow).
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #50
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Are we still awaiting the game day skate? It seems late today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #51
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't care who's in net tonight as long as they allow two goals or fewer. Both guys have something to prove, hope they can make the most of it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #52
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Are we still awaiting the game day skate? It seems late today.
Boys pulled a late one at Hakkasan?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #53
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Only 10:00 right now in Vegas. What time do they normally skate? 11?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #54
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Flames are scheduled to skate this morning at 11:00 AM Pacific. So, in an hour.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #55
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

This game is so important in many areas. I am concerned however tonight could be a huge statement
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #56
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
"None of this screams "1st place team" to me."

You know what does scream first place team to me? The standings.

Also, since Feb. the Flames have the second best record in the west. And SJ and AZ have exactly one more win. Goals for - they are 4th in the west and two of the teams ahead are well out of the POs. Goals against they are 4th, but only two teams in the POs ahead, and with a difference of 4 goals behind the leader. PPG - they are 2 goals behind the leader.
Remember when the argument was that the Flames' underlying numbers showed they should be better than they were? Some screamed "Standings!"

Now, standings show we're 2nd best in the NHL, best in the west. 2 losses where the team played pretty well for the most part that followed 7 straight wins. But that number is no longer good enough

Parts of the fanbase are becoming overly reactive. Don't get too low, don't get too high.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #57
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Flames are gonna take a beating tonight if they don’t refocus on defence. I expect a good thumping by Vegas which is what the team needs to wake them up hopefully. This week with Vegas twice will make or break the team.

We said the same thing after Minny and TO. I hope they got the message.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #58
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub74 View Post

He gets injured almost every year though so I dont know if this type of game would be a good idea for him.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #59
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Marsh View Post
I think posters have every right to be concerned about the way the team has been playing lately, and I'm not just referring to the last two games.

I also think that posters who simply point to the standings, and proclaim "1st in the West, nothing to see here!" while ignoring the last number of games and how the team has been tending lately, and who are dismissing the concerns of others who have noticed those trends as "crap like this", are completely off-side.

I'm stealing/quoting from Flash Walken here, but please consider the following:

PP is 23rd in the league since Feb 1. 3rd in PP opportunities.

19th in PK%

17th in the league in goals for since Feb 1.

12th in the league in goals against since Feb 1.

19th in Even Strength goals for since Feb 1.

None of this screams "1st place team" to me. There are lots of reasons to be concerned about the teams' recent play, and about their game in Las Vegas. The team is struggling right now and has been for a while.

Hopefully they come out with something to prove tonight. Go Flames Go!!
Since having the worst travel schedule in NHL history for a month you mean
Old 03-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #60
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Flames are gonna take a beating tonight if they don’t refocus on defence. I expect a good thumping by Vegas which is what the team needs to wake them up hopefully. This week with Vegas twice will make or break the team.
Tonight is an important game and I hope the Flames win. More importantly, I hope they look great playing in a building where they have yet to experience success.

But declarations like these are silly. The Flames could lose both tonight and again at home on Sunday and still end up having a terrific season. They could get blown out in both games and still go on to win multiple playoff rounds. When coaches and management talk about the importance of not getting too high or too low based on results, I think that this is part of what they are getting at.

With all that said, I look forward to a demoralizing home ice loos for VGK tonight.

GFG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote