Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #1
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Car Stereos

I have an older car which has a CD player which has recently died. I am looking to move into the new millennium and get a new system and I was wondering if someone could recommend a good place to get it installed. I have heard places like Visions do not have a good reputation? I just want to get an idea of a good installer that I can trust isn't going to mess it up? any suggestions?
dirk diggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #2
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't worry too much. It's an easy job, pretty much impossible to mess it up. A place like visions would be fine but I'd recommend just doing it yourself. If you buy the car specific wiring harness it's extremely simple, no cutting your factory wiring just wire the stereo wires to your new adaptor harness and plug it in. I'd offer to help but I'm away for 3 weeks.

What kind of car?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

At btimbit said, it's quite straightforward to change out a car stereo. Just did one myself recently. A poster here directed me to www.crutchfield.ca. Enter you car and it shows compatible decks. If you don't have steering wheel controls to worry about, it's shocking how easy it is do do. They even include instructions and a wiring harness specific for your vehicle.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #4
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Visions will charge $200-400 for labor. They did mine on collecting day for $200. That included about $50 in parts. I'd recommend getting your speakers replaced too. Even entry level speakers will be vastly better than what's likely in your car stock. Speaker technology has come a long way.

The advantage to using a professional is that they can help you match up the right package for your vehicle.

After you include the cost of parts, I paid an extra $300 or so for installation at visions. Wasn't willing to take apart and rewire components in the door. I'm sure others with more experience would consider this easy though.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah speakers are even easier. Most of the time it's just a matter of 4 bolts and and a plug, no wiring at all. Door panels are really easy to remove especially on older cars.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
I have an older car which has a CD player which has recently died. I am looking to move into the new millennium and get a new system and I was wondering if someone could recommend a good place to get it installed. I have heard places like Visions do not have a good reputation? I just want to get an idea of a good installer that I can trust isn't going to mess it up? any suggestions?
Getting great sound in an older car is an adventure. A lot of different things to consider:

The speaker drivers themselves and their passband and out-of-passband characteristics as well as dispersion profile

The crossover between those drivers (sub -> midwoofers -> midranges -> tweeters) at the multiple listening positions.

The interaction of the drivers with the vehicle's acoustics due to very early reflections.

recreating a believable stereo image given the limitations of the seating configuration

The reduction of road noise (a lowered noise floor is a huge contributor to sound quality and keeping volume within the limitations of the system).

Even most professional installers don't really have a clue about these above things. They can install them, but they can't necessarily design a high-end system tailored to your car. DIY is a path I would recommend but it's not "easy".

"Easy" is getting a new car where real pros from real audio companies like Mark Levinson have built the entire system from total scratch. I don't think picking up a so-called "system" from Visions comes close to that so I really gotta ask what your expectations are.

If you just want to replace the head unit (CD Player), that's something anyone can do themself in a couple of hours on the weekend. But if it's sound quality that compares or betters a modern car, that's a different animal.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 03-01-2019 at 06:34 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is there a reason why you specifically need to upgrade?

-Do you play CD's all the time? if yes then upgrade
-Are you looking just to add bluetooth / aux to the car? There are ways to do this through FM transmitters if you are not crazy about sound quality

I recently added an FM bluetooth transmitter. I hardwired it so it starts / offs with the car. Cost me $35 total.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #8
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
which has recently died.
Getting back to the OP's question and I am going to go against the "DIY" sentiment. I'm at a point in my life where I realize that there are lots of things I can do "alright", but there's a reason why you have professionals doing it for a living. Especially if the quality of work and time spent offsets the cost.

I had recently looked into upgrading the stereo of my previous vehicle. I had gone into Auto Temp and was happy with what they were showing me, and their professionalism. Now, I didn't buy from them; however they would be a place I would turn to again if the need comes up.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post

-Do you play CD's all the time? if yes then upgrade
-Are you looking just to add bluetooth / aux to the car? There are ways to do this through FM transmitters if you are not crazy about sound quality

I recently added an FM bluetooth transmitter. I hardwired it so it starts / offs with the car. Cost me $35 total.
my Cd player doesnt work anymore and it would be nice to have bluetooth. That is why i am upgrading. As i am not handy, i dont want to take this on myself. dont trust i wouldnt screw it up.
dirk diggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:27 PM   #10
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a complete overhaul on my car stereo done at Visions in Red Deer. Turns out their shop Manager is an MECP Master certifies technition and was voted top 12V installer and most trusted installer in North America in 2018.

They did a great job and am planning on taking the ‘10 BMW 535GT I just bought in for an upgrade next month.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote