Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #61
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
Matthew Lombardi
If Lazar had Lombardi's skill and production, he'd be a bonafide NHLer.

Dube is the new Lombardi.

Poor Lombardi, if he were only born 10 years later, he'd be a 60 - 70 point guy in today's NHL and making $7 million a year.

Last edited by 868904; 03-08-2019 at 10:04 AM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #62
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobasew19 View Post
That’s Rico Fata.
Russ Courtnall
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #63
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Pretty interested to know what the plan is for Valimaki. Has he lost his NHL starter's job for this year, barring injury?
More or less, I would imagine so. There’s too much depth to justify bringing him up, even though I do think he would be an improvement on several of those players. If he was good this year, imagine how good he’ll be next year with another half season of AHL and summer of training. Will be a star. Can’t wait to have him in the lineup next year.

Even though we lost Hamilton and Fox last summer, I anticipate that one of our defencemen are traded this summer. Valimaki, Kylington, and Andersson are all performing in the upper end of expectations so far, when most of us were anticipating that at least one of them were likely to flounder in the higher leagues. My bet is for a goalie, but also for an RFA forward (aka BT’s obsession). It’s fine to have great defensive depth, but the team’s goaltending depth has not planned out as planned this year, and with Smith likely departing this summer, I expect Treleving will make a minor splash.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #64
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
If Lazar had Lombardi's skill and production, he'd be a bonafide NHLer.

Dube is the new Lombardi.

Poor Lombardi, if he were only born 10 years later, he'd be a 60 - 70 point guy in today's NHL and making $7 million a year.
He had hands of stone though, all the speed in the world and cinder block hands.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #65
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
He had hands of stone though, all the speed in the world and cinder block hands.
He was still a consistent 40 - 50 point guy in his prime in an era of heavy hockey.

Lombo might not have had a great shot, but he was real good on scoring on breakaways and on the fly with his speed.

In today's game, he'd get even more breakaways and in OT alone he'd be a serious weapon.

When that guy got going, he was Bure-esque in terms of speed.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #66
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He was still a consistent 40 - 50 point guy in his prime in an era of heavy hockey.

Lombo might not have had a great shot, but he was real good on scoring on breakaways and on the fly with his speed.

In today's game, he'd get even more breakaways and in OT alone he'd be a serious weapon.

When that guy got going, he was Bure-esque in terms of speed.
I still feel terrible for the guy after that Hatcher elbow.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #67
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Russ Courtnall
Yeah he only had 744 points in 1029 games, totally comparable to Rico Fata.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #68
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It wasn't the quantity of breakaways that held him back, it was his hands on the breakaways.

Also, we're talking about a guy who had one season before the full lockout. A guy who played until 2013, who's prime years where less than a decade ago. The game hasn't changed that much. It's not like he was playing in the 60s.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #69
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Yeah he only had 744 points in 1029 games, totally comparable to Rico Fata.
I'm actually surprised by his goal totals. I remember him missing so many breakaways for the Canadiens.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #70
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I'm actually surprised by his goal totals. I remember him missing so many breakaways for the Canadiens.
I just remember him well because of my age and I watched a lot of the Canadiens growing up. Today they call that child abuse (kidding obviously).
Old 03-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #71
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
It wasn't the quantity of breakaways that held him back, it was his hands on the breakaways.

Also, we're talking about a guy who had one season before the full lockout. A guy who played until 2013, who's prime years where less than a decade ago. The game hasn't changed that much. It's not like he was playing in the 60s.
Do you think Gaudreau puts up the production he does in the era that Lombardi played in?

If Lombardi was a 40-50 point guy in that era, I don't see how it's a stretch to say he could be a 60-70 point guy in today's game.

His scoring chances would be a lot higher in today's game.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #72
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think Gaudreau puts up the production he does in the era that Lombardi played in?

If Lombardi was a 40-50 point guy in that era, I don't see how it's a stretch to say he could be a 60-70 point guy in today's game.

His scoring chances would be a lot higher in today's game.
That and the fact Hatcher's style wouldn't transition to this era, so Lombardi would have entered his prime healthy. I don't think 60-70 points would have been a stretch.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #73
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. Because the era Gaudreau played in is the era that Lombardi played in. No one is going to convince me that things changed so much in the 2013 lockout that they are no longer the same era.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #74
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lomb went fivehole every single time he could. Goalies figured him out
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #75
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lombardi refused to sign with the Oilers, we should only speak highly of him.

On topic, I hope we see Lazar soon.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #76
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Paul Byron was pretty similar to Lombardi. He only makes 3.4M, but he's a big cog in a surprising Habs team this season.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #77
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seeing this thread had picked up, I expected some comments about Lazar. Why use the call-up if you aren't going to get him in? Not like the Flames are flying offensively right now. Feel bad for him. Not good for confidence or easy to break in when you haven't played a game at all in 2-3 weeks.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #78
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Seeing this thread had picked up, I expected some comments about Lazar. Why use the call-up if you aren't going to get him in? Not like the Flames are flying offensively right now. Feel bad for him. Not good for confidence or easy to break in when you haven't played a game at all in 2-3 weeks.
Anyone Lazar would draw into the lineup to replace is playing really well right now, but they aren't a fit further up the lineup.

With an Injury to Bennett maybe you move Mangiapane up and lazar slots in on the 4th line, but it will have to be based on an injury.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote