Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #21
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLucPicard View Post
The Japanese take the high frequency of earthquakes (and typhoons) into consideration when constructing tall buildings. They make them more flexible. I was in Tokyo during a bad typhoon and the hotel was just rocking back and forth slightly.
Earthquakes isn't the major problem for them with the majority of their buildings built for it. It's the tsunami after.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #22
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...erta-1.5041580

The Alberta Energy Regulator said the earthquake was detected Monday morning about 12 kilometres south of Sylvan Lake. The seismic activity was reported at 6:20 a.m. by Calgary-based oil and gas operator Vesta Energy, the AER said.

"Vesta Energy was conducting hydraulic fracturing activities in the area, but has since stopped," said Natalie Brodych, a spokesperson with the AER.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #23
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by station View Post
We had one in the Shuswap Saturday night. Only 2.2 magnitude but it shook our whole house and was felt over the whole region. Earthquakes are crazy.
How could you even feel a 2.2? My wife’s sneezes register that.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #24
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
How could you even feel a 2.2? My wife’s sneezes register that.
Lol, I know right? They’re saying it was only 1km deep though and I’m probably a half km from where they said the epicentre was.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:10 AM   #25
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

saw a post on twitter of a picture of a snowman whose head had fallen off and was lying on the ground beside the torso with the caption "we will rebuild"
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #26
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Was the twitter handle @post#18

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 06:01 PM   #27
Futzee
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Family in Lacombe had a good shake. I thought we were free from worry from this kind of thing in Alberta. Central Alberta is odd... Tornadoes and all that jazz...
Futzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #28
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

In 2016 I arrived in Christchurch just in time for the 7.8 that hit. I had just flown in that night and was sleeping when the quake hit after midnight. Standing on the ground level it felt like being in a rowboat on wavy water with the whole house seeming to roll around me. Pretty surreal.

I was also in an airbnb house with nobody else there to talk to about what was going on. When I saw online that I was in the tsunami evacuation area I had to head out on my own with no data on my phone and no car to drive as I'd been planning just to use Uber. There was a stream of cars pouring out of the city, but nobody wanted to stop to give me a ride, so I just used the Google map I had downloaded and my GPS to head on foot in the direction of what I thought was higher ground. Having no data on my phone, I had no way of knowing what was going on or if there was some giant wave about to come flooding down the streets after me.

I eventually reached a gas station where I could get on wifi and be pretty sure it was at higher elevation, where I waited it out for several hours until it was declared safe to go back into the city. That was a weird and frightening night.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post: