Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2022, 06:10 AM   #41
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I can't speculate, and truly feel sorry for anyone being let go, but when a person makes a buttload of money, and gets a severance package that is fair (or in this case, probably more than fair as it was resolved so quickly), I don't care too much. I only see her when I'm over at my parents' place so there's little outrage from me. Bell being Bell. Are there any news anchors who are untouchable right now? And what's so grand about being an anchor when they sit and read from the teleprompter?
I don’t feel too bad either. Rumour on the internet was that she was making North of 300k annually

She was vacationing at her cottage when she heard the news
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:17 AM   #42
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The last sentence is bang on. I did laugh when people were calling her a journalist yesterday. It was the same with Lloyd Robertson. They're reading the news but they're not out doing stories or investigating things.
She is also a journalist. She was a foreign corespondent before the anchor job.

Quote:
LaFlamme joined CTV National News in 2003 as a foreign correspondent[7] as well as back-up anchor to Lloyd Robertson.[9] She covered many international events and conflicts:[3] the September 11 attacks and the subsequent Iraq War, the War in Afghanistan, the Arab Spring in Cairo, Hurricane Katrina, the 2010 Haiti earthquake, the death of Pope John Paul II in 2005 and the election of Pope Francis in 2013. LaFlamme has also covered every Canadian federal election since 1997, and every Olympic Games since 2006, most recently, the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics and the London 2012 Summer Olympics. Also from London, she covered the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II in 2012,[10] the Platinum Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II,[11] and the royal weddings of both Prince William and Catherine Middleton[12] and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.[13] After Robertson's departure in September 2011, LaFlamme was promoted to sole anchor in his place.[14] In June 2022, LaFlamme was informed her position had been eliminated by Bell Media, the parent company of CTV.[15]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_LaFlamme
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 06:31 AM   #43
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
She is also a journalist. She was a foreign corespondent before the anchor job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_LaFlamme
Ok, so she was a journalist at one time. I stand corrected. The anchor is not a journalist though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:35 AM   #44
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you are being overly pedantic.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 06:53 AM   #45
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

It’s like saying an ex-player wasn’t an ex-player because they coach now.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:57 AM   #46
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It’s like saying an ex-player wasn’t an ex-player because they coach now.
Lol, I was a pretty usable rugby player back in the day. To say that I am today is a pretty significant overstatement. It's ok for people to live along to different things as they age.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:11 AM   #47
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, I was a pretty usable rugby player back in the day. To say that I am today is a pretty significant overstatement. It's ok for people to live along to different things as they age.
But let’s say all that experience landed you a specific position. She got it because she was a journalist for years.

Mansbridge on the other hand, was a voice hire. He had host roles because of his voice.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 08-16-2022 at 07:14 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:16 AM   #48
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default CTV News Lisa LaFlamme has been let go

Oh god - she is a journalist. This is like the top gig journalists work for and they themselves recognize it as a journalist position.

They have a voice in what news gets said, what gets cut and they have a say in how it is framed to an audience

This is critical journalist scope.

A journalist isn’t the same as sports and your skill and ability degrade when your over 35

Sports is a very poor analogy and doesn’t fit

Last edited by Mull; 08-16-2022 at 08:19 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 07:46 AM   #49
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The last sentence is bang on. I did laugh when people were calling her a journalist yesterday. It was the same with Lloyd Robertson. They're reading the news but they're not out doing stories or investigating things.
I distinctly recall tuning into LaFlamme’s coverage of the Middle East events from 911 to the Arab Spring. She’s also covered some of the other major events in our lifetime, not from behind a news desk reading a teleprompter but from boots on the ground.

To claim she’s not a journalist because she’s hit the pinnacle of journalistic success in the Canadian marketplace? Come on now.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:50 AM   #50
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
From a Canadaland article with some possible background and animosity between LaFlamme and Bell exec Michael Melling

https://www.canadaland.com/bell-exec...ays-colleague/
Interesting, although an under an alternate interpretation of events that headline could read "insubordinate employee terminated with severance."

People are acting as if CTV News is a pillar of quality journalism, when in reality they provide the same crappy coverage typical of north American news media (waterskiing squirrels, imported stories from the US that aren't particulary relevant to Canada, lack of foreign coverage etc.).
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #51
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I can't speculate, and truly feel sorry for anyone being let go, but when a person makes a buttload of money, and gets a severance package that is fair (or in this case, probably more than fair as it was resolved so quickly), I don't care too much. I only see her when I'm over at my parents' place so there's little outrage from me. Bell being Bell. Are there any news anchors who are untouchable right now? And what's so grand about being an anchor when they sit and read from the teleprompter?
It's always tough.

Sure she made money, and probably got a good package on her way out, but what does she do now?

She's 58, probably doesnt want or can retire and there are extremely limited positions available for her that arent a huge step down.

It's easy to sit back and say, sure she made cash and got packaged out, but it sucks for anyone in that position - especially a (likely) Type-A individual with massive ambition.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:16 AM   #52
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Interesting, although an under an alternate interpretation of events that headline could read "insubordinate employee terminated with severance."

People are acting as if CTV News is a pillar of quality journalism, when in reality they provide the same crappy coverage typical of north American news media (waterskiing squirrels, imported stories from the US that aren't particulary relevant to Canada, lack of foreign coverage etc.).
Or Michael Melling is a total ####### to work with if you're a woman, according to multiple sources. And regardless of whether she was insubordinate or not, after 35 years she was entitled to a proper send off. Lloyd Robertson had like three weeks of send-off and a tribute for his final sign off. This is not how you do it, and her peers in the industry agree.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559245440255926272

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559246093677993984
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #53
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1559545578157137920
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:36 AM   #54
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post

I don’t understand what this means
Old 08-16-2022, 09:36 AM   #55
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Lloyd Robertson had like three weeks of send-off and a tribute for his final sign off.
Lloyd Robertson retired.

Here’s my experience in 35 years in the workforce.

* Retire after long tenure: Lunch where company bigwig makes a speech, cake, gift.

* Voluntarily leave: 10-20 colleagues go for drinks and appetizers at pub. Manager picks up the tab.

* Laid off or fired (regardless of tenure): Here’s your severance. Get out.

So is my experience atypical? Or do we just expect these things to work differently with a high-profile media personality?
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:39 AM   #56
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default CTV News Lisa LaFlamme has been let go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Lloyd Robertson retired.

* Retire after long tenure: Lunch where company bigwig makes a speech, cake, gift.

* Voluntarily leave: 10-20 colleagues go for drinks and appetizers at pub. Manager picks up the tab.

* Laid off or fired (regardless of tenure): Here’s your severance. Get out.

So is my experience atypical? Or do we just expect these things to work differently with a high-profile media personality?

I think yes, a public figures image represents the company they work for. CTV marketing is tied up with her. So yes it’s very different then most gigs.

But the kicker here is - she was the top rated news anchor they let go
Old 08-16-2022, 09:54 AM   #57
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're male you basically have to assault someone to get fired or go full Cuomo. A woman in their late 50's? Bye bye
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:56 AM   #58
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

So is my experience atypical?
Cliff, I appreciate your opinions on things even when I don't agree with them...but you have a tendency to assume your experience or opinion on something is always the correct one. Step back a bit before posting and consider that we can experience things differently than you and those experiences are valid. There's a reason you tend to get pushback on your posts and it's not just being a contrarian.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 10:47 AM   #59
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Cliff, I appreciate your opinions on things even when I don't agree with them...but you have a tendency to assume your experience or opinion on something is always the correct one. Step back a bit before posting and consider that we can experience things differently than you and those experiences are valid. There's a reason you tend to get pushback on your posts and it's not just being a contrarian.
I didn’t assume my experiences are universal. That why I asked if my experiences were atypical.

Sounds like your experiences are different. How so? Can you be specific?

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-16-2022 at 10:51 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:50 AM   #60
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I don’t understand what this means

There's a bunch of these on local CTV feeds as well.

Basically that all CTV local branches had to setup a talk interview with Omar to congratulate him as new chief news anchor, and read verbatim exactly as told and any mentions of Lisa or asking about Lisa can be grounds to be fired.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post: