Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-03-2022, 01:48 PM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Educate me please:

Why is Jones' phone not already in evidence without a leak, and why would it be excluded from discovery?

If Jones loses, is the leak grounds for appeal or for him to recover his losses by suing the leaker?
I'm not sure about the process involved in this type of case because as I understand it is Civil, so I'm not sure they have the ability to demand that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:51 PM   #22
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was watching some clips this morning on Twitter. Jones looks terrible and under attack; he deserves everything he gets. He’s a vile POS for assaulting those poor families who lost children in the Sandy Hook attack. One tweet I saw said that this will bankrupt him; I hope it does. He’s already morally bankrupt.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:55 PM   #23
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have small kids and my oldest is about to start kindergarten. The mention of Sandy Hook (and Uvalde, and others) gives me shivers. I can't imagine the pain the parents go through, so I try not to.

This sack of #### clown show is the lowest of the low. These parents suffered literally the worst thing in the world, and he made money piling on their pain.

Rot in hell.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 01:55 PM   #24
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

those videos and tweets have certainly brightened my day. Absolutely disgusting human being and he deserves everything that's coming in those lawsuits.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:57 PM   #25
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
This is a civil action for defamation. The court will not impose a fine. It will, if it finds Jones liable, award damages to compensate the plaintiffs.
Ok, but the basis of my complaint remains. The court awards the victims 1 million each...Jones appeals to his grift base, and they pay it for him. He gets off, consequence-free.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:58 PM   #26
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On the admissibility of those texts, I am with Makarov (and also only deal with litigation tangentially) , I would think they would be producible unless privileged, so the plaintiffs should have those documents either way.

I also understand Jones, or perhaps the parent company of InfoWars filed for bankruptcy. My worry is that is simply a way of hiding his assets rather than an indication he is out of money, but I haven't read any of the details of what entities are involved.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 02:00 PM   #27
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Ok, but the basis of my complaint remains. The court awards the victims 1 million each...Jones appeals to his grift base, and they pay it for him. He gets off, consequence-free.
Well, yes, agree. Sorry, was just clarifying. If it makes anyone feel better, he will also be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal costs.

But yes, as usual, the real losers in all of this will be the vulnerable unsophisticated rubes who donate their money to charlatans like Jones.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:13 PM   #28
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Educate me please:

Why is Jones' phone not already in evidence without a leak, and why would it be excluded from discovery?

If Jones loses, is the leak grounds for appeal or for him to recover his losses by suing the leaker?
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the issue here is that during discovery Jones explicitly said he didn't have any text messages/info on his phone about Sandy Hook. I believe he has already pretty much been found guilty, partially because he refused/was unable to provide any evidence that could be used in his defense, and this is just to determine damages (that might not be correct).

This is a big deal because now that the prosecution/plaintiff's lawyers has the phone, they have proof that
A) he did in fact have the information that he claimed not to
B) They have him dead to rights on lying about it in the deposition, and again today in court, so now he has committed perjury at least twice

Not good developments for Jones.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the award in this case is in the hundreds of millions of dollars, meaning even with the best grifting, it'll be pretty tough for him to get out from under this one.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 08-03-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #29
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
On the admissibility of those texts, I am with Makarov (and also only deal with litigation tangentially) , I would think they would be producible unless privileged, so the plaintiffs should have those documents either way.

I also understand Jones, or perhaps the parent company of InfoWars filed for bankruptcy. My worry is that is simply a way of hiding his assets rather than an indication he is out of money, but I haven't read any of the details of what entities are involved.
I watched a bit of the video and the lawyer for the parents did say he reached out to Jones' lawyers after receipt of the phone information to determine if it was privileged, didn't hear anything back, and after a certain amount of time the information was fair game. Note that this is my non-legal smart interpretation but it sounded like they tried to give them an out.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 02:29 PM   #30
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As Shantz indicates, if he already denied the existence of said texts, he has likely perjured himself. Hopefully it keeps getting worse for him.

I wonder if perjury in a civil case could be a criminal act? So much better if he ends up in jail.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #31
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jones is a POS.

Unbelievable how, frankly, stupid people are to believe him... they just bought, lock, stock and barrel to whatever crazy idea that would validate their biases.

This guy started out talking about Lizard people and the 'shadow government/illuminati' 20 years ago - I remember listening to him on Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM, when they focused on paranormal and UFO stuff... slowly it turned into a cesspool about government conspiracies

I hope the bankrupt the ####er ... hopefully, Dominion will also get their day in court soon
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:55 PM   #32
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I recall he was found guilty because he didnt actually show up in court to defend himself, like any civil case if you dont present a defence you get a summery decision any way, its like not showing up in traffic court, what they are arguing about now and what he is trying to hide with the emails is how much he and the company are worth
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:57 PM   #33
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
As Shantz indicates, if he already denied the existence of said texts, he has likely perjured himself. Hopefully it keeps getting worse for him.

I wonder if perjury in a civil case could be a criminal act? So much better if he ends up in jail.
you can be charged criminally if you commit perjury in a civil case
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:11 PM   #34
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1554900118368813062
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:20 PM   #35
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^ such a great sketch. Had me in tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2k-BNySLI
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elkyiv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 04:01 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
That was hilarious!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-03-2022, 04:14 PM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-03-2022, 05:01 PM   #38
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Alex Jones in court?

NSFW!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:16 PM   #39
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I feel like this is a good time to mention that Alex Jones once claimed he was unable to remember "basic facts" about his children during a custody trial because he ate a "big bowl of chili for lunch."

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...oments-108404/

https://twitter.com/user/status/854350731415105537

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 05:46 PM   #40
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the very few who don't realize what a lunatics Alex Jones is here's a wonderful interview with Piers Morgan after Sandy Hook and when he created a petition to have Morgan deported.

If you haven't seen it, it's top entertainment

Somewhere in Britain Piers is laughing his ass off.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post: