Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-28-2022, 04:57 PM   #21
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Earned Never Given View Post
53 goals more than needed equate to winning by 2.

Also the talk is about losing 13 and 19 production (82 goals) and replacing it with Huberdeau ( 30 goals) which is a loss of 52 goals net which would reduce their goal differential to +33 still good for around 100 points and hence making the playoffs.
Plus however many goals Weegar will score over Gudbranson.

Have to factor in offense gained on the back end.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 04:59 PM   #22
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

also have to factor in an improved defense with a better puck mover

And then there is the fact that someone will now be playing 1st line RW, so they will score more goals than they did before. Etc

Saying we lost 52 goals is wildly naive.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 05:01 PM   #23
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

To CLB: Monahan ($2M retained)
To CGY: Nyquist

To ANA: Lucic+5th
To CGY: 6th

To CGY: 2nd+4th
To ?: Dillon Dube

RFA: Mangiapane 5.5x5, Kylington 3x3
UFA: Kadri 7.2x5

This should fit under the cap with a bit to spare

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Kadri-Nyquist
Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman
Lewis-Ruzicka-Rooney

Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Kylington-Tanev

Markstrom
Vladar
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 05:01 PM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Need either a top 6 winger or top 6 center.

Kadri/Rodriguez/Milano/Stastny/whoever, Brad needs to work through these extensions so that he can evaluate the feasibility of adding something else and what dough has to be moved around to make it happen, if required.

Don't like the idea of letting the negotiations bleed into September and then being left with pro tryout fodder. The forward group is a bit of a mess in terms of structure and I don't think you want to go into the season as it is currently.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 05:04 PM   #25
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
also have to factor in an improved defense with a better puck mover

And then there is the fact that someone will now be playing 1st line RW, so they will score more goals than they did before. Etc

Saying we lost 52 goals is wildly naive.
Better than saying that we lost 200 points like some posters claimed since 13 and 19 left.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:40 PM   #26
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Unless Treliving finds a solid top 6 forward, Toffoli and Monahan need to step up big time
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:55 PM   #27
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Key moves are done. There may be some PTOs for competition's sake. And a spot near the bottom of the 13 forwards and 7 defencemen to be won. What we see is what we get.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:33 PM   #28
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

I appreciate the proposed lineups that include players from last year’s Stockton team.

Personally I think Ruzicka and Mackey should push for a spot on the roster coming out of camp and possibly one other forward might surprise as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2022, 11:19 PM   #29
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Imagining just re-signing RFAs but no UFA signings or trades…

F
Huberdeau - Lindholm - Toffoli
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Pelletier - Monahan - Dube
Lucic - Rooney - Lewis
- Ruzicka - Phillips/Duehr
D
Kylington - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Zadorov - Weegar
Valimaki -
G
Markstrom
Vladar

At F, I’m keeping Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman together from the playoffs. As such, Backland is my number 2 centre, and Monahan is my number 3 centre. I don’t think Toffoli can play with Monahan because neither player is fast. So, I have Toffoli with Lindholm, and I gave Monahan quicker wingers. My 4th line makes me nervous, but it seems like the Flames want Rooney to play because they are paying him $1.3M?

My D-pairings will be controversial, but I basically don’t want any liability pairings, and I think Kylington with Zadorov could be a liability, especially if one of them is playing his off-side.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 11:22 PM   #30
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just want Pelletier breaking in similar to how Mangi/Dube did

Ruzicka could very well be a full time 3C. Hopefully he gets a fair crack.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 11:25 PM   #31
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I just want Pelletier breaking in similar to how Mangi/Dube did

Ruzicka could very well be a full time 3C. Hopefully he gets a fair crack.
Do you mean Pelletier should play with Backlund and Coleman? I had that thought, but I was reluctant to break up that line.

F
Pelletier - Backlund - Coleman
Mangiapane - Monahan - Dube
Lucic - Rooney - Lewis
- Ruzicka - Phillips
D
Kylington - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Zadorov - Weegar
Valimaki -
G
Markstrom
Vladar
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:30 PM   #32
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn’t it be nice if Pelletier could come in and actually fit on the top line? Or at the very least, fit well enough with Backlund to bump Mangiapane up one rung and once again allow us to run three 30-goal scorers on the top unit.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:33 PM   #33
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would just be nice to have a horse in the Calder race again. It's been a while.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 11:40 PM   #34
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
D
Kylington - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Zadorov - Weegar
Valimaki -
G
Markstrom
Vladar
I’ve been wondering how the D slot since this trade happened.

I don’t think you can play Zadorov with Weegar. Weegar plays too much.

Hanifin-Weegar - the two best defensemen on the roster are the top pair. Sounds logical.

Kylington-Andersson - the two 2nd round picks, always connected, now get the chance to be quite dynamic together.

Zadorov-Tanev - shelter Tanev a bit coming off a major injury. This is a better version of Zadorov-Gudbranson.

This is my 13,000th post. How about that.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2022, 03:19 AM   #35
Higginson03
Draft Pick

-Huberdeau had 115 points playing with Bennett and Duclair ( Obviously first power play unit too) but he makes players he plays with better.
-Lindholm gets a lot of disrespect around the league and even here like he had 42 tap ins from the “gods” Jonny and Chucky but he has a far better shot then either of those guys and Huberdeau is gunna find him in his sweat spots as good as anyone in the league possibly could, i project he hits 50 and top 3 in Selke voting again (hopefully wins it)
-Toffoli had a weird end of season and playoffs with us but I watched MTL’s playoff run and he was an animal and a great player, he’s a proud player and you knows he’s been working his ass off for his coach Sutter this off season getting back to that player, I can see him hitting 30-35 easy on top line, and we are so fortunate last season we forgot how 30 goal scorers don’t just grow on tress and that’s still pretty good for top line RW.

Mangipane - Backlund - Coleman
2nd line isn’t ideal 2nd line (best third line in league if they were 3rd) but none the less a great line, they are play 100% every shift and other teams probably hate playing against this line.
-Backlund-would be awesome to see Backlund get the C on chest and hit 50 points while playing Selke like defence all season as per usual —Mangipane keep progressing forward and hit the 40 mark
-Coleman just do what he does playing like a grown ass man all season.

Pelletier - Monahan/Ruzicka - Dube
Third line is where is gets a little iffy and ugly if Monahan hips still making it hard for a already slow player slower, I love Money Hands, so many clutch goals when he was heathy (we’d be an absolute tank last season if we had heathy monahan scoring all those clutch game winners he used to do) but I’d be happy with 20 goals, 10 assist from him.

Dube I can see being a 20-20 guy easy, he’s getting better and better every year and finished off regular season great. (Love how hard he plays for a smaller guy)

Pelletier I don’t know everything about this kid but watched some highlights from last season and 62 points in 66 games as a rookie in first professional season is amazing, he’s a highly skilled small guy that gives it his all every shift and I really hope he becomes a NHL player this season and gets his feet wet, a lot of potential and I doubt anybody thought this small guy with huge engine would be this good this fast. Sutter loves vets tho, im sure Brad is out looking to make this 3rd line better (possibly by trading/signing a 1st or 2nd line forward and who ever spot that person takes moves to 3rd line to strengthen it)

Lucic - Ruzicka/Monahan - Lewis
Lucic just be tough and hopefully chip in 7–10 goals and kick the #### outta anyone who crosses the line with our top players (can’t wait to free up that cap but also hope to re sign to league min.

Ruzicka might not even be on roster because of Rooney but comp is always good and healthy but I for one hope he makes it, sure he was inconsistent that year but super effective when he was on his game and confident, I hope he comes that 6’4 220 with skill he can be (Sutter will coach him to play more of a man game hopefully and use that big body for effectively on both sides of ice) would be great if he pans out and Monahan body is too broken, Ruzicka might take a bit but one day he’ll be our 3rd line centre.

A kid line of Pelletier - Ruzicka - Dube would be fun to watch

Defence is stacked so not gunna get into it much

Weegar - Tanev (our two best shut down defenders togther would make for a great pair)

Hanifin - Andersson (great together last season, let these guys grow into a first pairing together, it’s more like a 1A, 1B first two pairings)

Zadorov - Kylington ( could be good, could be bad, guess we’ll see but if all else fails, throw Kylington back with Tanev and big Z with Weegar for 3 great well rounded pairings, give Weegar top PK and power play mins to get him around 23 min mark again.

I’m also hoping Valimaki has a great off season and comes into camp demanding a NHL look and allows us to trade Kylington ( falls too much a terrible times) for a top 6 forward but I doubt that happens and I’m with keeping Kylington but I know if Valimaki don’t make a huge jump this season he’s pretty much a waste of 1st rd pick and probably couldn’t get a 3rd for him.

Sorry for spell check errors or wording it weird or anything, im super new here (kinda, been lurking in the shadows for 5+ years just reading, but decided to make a account last week)

Last edited by Higginson03; 07-29-2022 at 03:22 AM.
Higginson03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Higginson03 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2022, 04:28 AM   #36
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Earned Never Given View Post
53 goals more than needed equate to winning by 2.

Also the talk is about losing 13 and 19 production (82 goals) and replacing it with Huberdeau ( 30 goals) which is a loss of 52 goals net which would reduce their goal differential to +33 still good for around 100 points and hence making the playoffs.
Whoever is playing right wing, assuming Toffoli, is going to score some goals too. 20-30 probably. So probably not a loss of 52.
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:40 AM   #37
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think we are still 2 top 6 forwards away from being a legit contender. If it was up to me I would try and do the following;

Lucic to Anaheim, Monahan for picks, Hanifin for Kyrou (or similar) and Kadri at a reasonable contract (5/6 years @ 7.5/8)

Huberdeau - Lindholm- UFA/Trade (Kyrou?)

Mangiapne - UFA/Trade (Kadri?)- Toffoli

Dube - Backlund - Coleman

Lewis - Ruzicka - Pelletier

Kylington - Tanev

Weegar - Andresson

Valamaki - Zadorov

Markstrom

Vlada

If Markstrom can bounce back from the playoff experience, we add 2 legit top 6 forwards (I know its not easy), we have one of the best D cores in the league, this team can do some damage.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2022, 05:12 AM   #38
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
I appreciate the proposed lineups that include players from last year’s Stockton team.

Personally I think Ruzicka and Mackey should push for a spot on the roster coming out of camp and possibly one other forward might surprise as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pelletier
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 11:01 AM   #39
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has there been any updates on how Monahan's offseason going (my guess is no and perhaps kept under wraps for the time being...)
Old 07-29-2022, 11:03 AM   #40
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I think we are still 2 top 6 forwards away from being a legit contender. If it was up to me I would try and do the following;

Lucic to Anaheim, Monahan for picks, Hanifin for Kyrou (or similar) and Kadri at a reasonable contract (5/6 years @ 7.5/8)

Huberdeau - Lindholm- UFA/Trade (Kyrou?)

Mangiapne - UFA/Trade (Kadri?)- Toffoli

Dube - Backlund - Coleman

Lewis - Ruzicka - Pelletier

Kylington - Tanev

Weegar - Andresson

Valamaki - Zadorov

Markstrom

Vlada

If Markstrom can bounce back from the playoff experience, we add 2 legit top 6 forwards (I know its not easy), we have one of the best D cores in the league, this team can do some damage.
I like this line of thinking...

Don't think Rooney will be left off 4th line though; DarrSutt likely won't trust 2 young guns on his 4th line.