Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2022, 06:46 PM   #921
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

CapFriendly has the Flames at $10.1 million in cap space (based on this year's cap number) for 2023-24, with 16 players under contract. If I understand the escrow repayment deal with the PA, the cap will go up another $1 million next summer. If Weegar is re-signed at 6.5, that leaves a touch over 4.6 for five skaters and a backup goalie. With the league minimum salary going up to $775,000, they can just about do it, but there wouldn't be a penny left over.

Someone is obviously going to have to be moved between now and October of '23, but really it could be at any position. I expect Plan A is to see which prospects push their way onto the roster in the coming year, making a vet expendable via trade.

For all we know, the '23-24 roster might have Pelletier, Coronato, and Wolf in place of Coleman, Toffoli, and Markstrom, and there will be oodles of cap space. It's simply too early to tell what possibilities the team will be facing.

Last edited by Jay Random; 08-18-2022 at 06:51 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 06:49 PM   #922
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
is Weegar signed yet? now?? when??
Soon. It's happening.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:55 PM   #923
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
CapFriendly has the Flames at $10.1 million in cap space (based on this year's cap number) for 2023-24, with 16 players under contract. If I understand the escrow repayment deal with the PA, the cap will go up another $1 million next summer. If Weegar is re-signed at 6.5, that leaves a touch over 4.6 for five skaters and a backup goalie. With the league minimum salary going up to $775,000, they can just about do it, but there wouldn't be a penny left over.

Someone is obviously going to have to be moved between now and October of '23, but really it could be at any position. I expect Plan A is to see which prospects push their way onto the roster in the coming year, making a vet expendable via trade.

For all we know, the '23-24 roster might have Pelletier, Coronato, and Wolf in place of Coleman, Toffoli, and Markstrom, and there will be oodles of cap space. It's simply too early to tell what possibilities the team will be facing.
I'd expect a Hanifin trade for a younger player as he nears the end of his contract.

Whichever way they go, it looks far from an impossible situation. They should be able to maneuver their way around it and hopefully get Lindholm re-signed in 2 years, with some young players on ELCs helping fill out the middle six.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-18-2022 at 06:57 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:05 PM   #924
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I was looking earlier and if they re-sign Weegar, they have 10 F and 6 D signed with Valimaki being the only notable RFA. So they need a 7th D, two 4th liners, a 13th forward (so only 4 skaters) and a backup goalie, for 4.6 million total.

I'd imagine the hope is Wolf has another AHL season like last year and is the backup for 23/24 ($813k). That leaves an average of $946,750 for the remaining 4 skaters. Easily doable given the roles they are looking to fill.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:13 PM   #925
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No chance of Markstrom being replaced by Wolf when they are in win now mode. I expect Vladar will be traded for a draft pick after next season to make room for Wolf. Doesn't save any salary but gives the Flames another asset.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:27 PM   #926
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If vladar continues to progress this season. A team may look at him as a future #1. Reasonably young and cost controlled RFA. For a 1st round draft pick.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:34 PM   #927
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

We can trade hit to Montreal for Florida from
Flames 1st rd pick🤪
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 03:39 PM   #928
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1561102681992822784
https://twitter.com/user/status/1561102870912479232

Weegar is in town, extension coming soon?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 03:53 PM   #929
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on, Leslie... Eyeballs time!

Old 08-21-2022, 09:33 AM   #930
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Weegar looking a little grumpy, is it the dressing room?
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:19 AM   #931
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I swear I know his GF/SO. Can't place from where though.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:22 AM   #932
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I swear I know his GF/SO. Can't place from where though.
Ermmm she looks like nearly every other hockey wife or G/F??

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 10:27 AM   #933
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Every rich guy has the same type lol
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 10:42 AM   #934
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Weegar looking a little grumpy, is it the dressing room?
If you look really closely, you can see tension in his jaw, and his pupils appear dilated. He looks like a guy harboring significant anxiety about the situation, but doing his best to cover for how upset he truly is. There is no question about it: Weegar clearly appears to hate being in Calgary. No doubt that dressing room is pushing him over the edge—he looks like he is on the verge of bursting into tears, and it is all he can do to hold it together.

*sarcasm*

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 10:43 AM   #935
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1561390171471462400
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:45 AM   #936
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:45 AM   #937
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weegar is a very well spoken guy.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:18 PM   #938
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really looking forward to this guy on the Flames.
Burning Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:41 PM   #939
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping he signs here long term. His answer regarding Huby's contract extension seemed a bit distant though. He doesn't sound like he's all that interested in staying beyond this season. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

Last edited by Mathgod; 08-21-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:51 PM   #940
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Hoping he signs here long term. His answer regarding Huby's contract extension seemed a bit distant though. He doesn't sound like he's all that interested in staying beyond this season. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.
Yeah and Johnny and Matthew both stated multiple times that they loved the city and the team and wanted to sign long term. Interviews mean squat. Reading into body language and tone means even less.
Burning Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post: