Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2022, 12:44 PM   #4081
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
If you don't see signing a UFA star like Johnny to a long-term contract under $10M as knocking it out of the park for a franchise like the Blue Jackets then let's just agree to disagree.
You say they are substantially improved and knocked it out of the park yet won't even answer the question where they will finish

Gudbranson 4x4 lol
Gaudreau I will give you
Bjokstrad traded for nothing

so 10th place again? By the time they MIGHT be good Gaudreau will be making 10M in his mid 30s. They will be bad for the "good" years of the contract

Exact opposite if he signed with the Flames who would have been a divisional playoff team at least for the prime years.

Last edited by dino7c; 08-17-2022 at 12:47 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:46 PM   #4082
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody is arguing CBJ is a playoff team this year (though it's not impossible).

It's just silly to suggest their future is any worse than NJD/OTT/BUF/DET.

Everyone seems high on OTT's moves...which is fine, but they haven't come cheap:
Spoiler!
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:50 PM   #4083
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Everyone seems high on OTT's moves...which is fine, but they haven't come cheap:
Spoiler!
Exactly my point, they are not "substantially improved"

Its hilarious to suggest they are and then say they will likely finish in the exact same spot they did last year

Sens will have a bigger year over year bump IMO
Old 08-17-2022, 12:57 PM   #4084
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Two things can be true at once:

-Johnny makes the Jackers a much better team than they were last year
-They probably still aren’t good enough to make the playoffs
Awesome. I'm calling them the jackers from now on.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:01 PM   #4085
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You say they are substantially improved and knocked it out of the park yet won't even answer the question where they will finish

Gudbranson 4x4 lol
Gaudreau I will give you
Bjokstrad traded for nothing

so 10th place again? By the time they MIGHT be good Gaudreau will be making 10M in his mid 30s. They will be bad for the "good" years of the contract
Edit: Nevermind. I see no point in going on with this

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:09 PM   #4086
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly my point, they are not "substantially improved"

Its hilarious to suggest they are and then say they will likely finish in the exact same spot they did last year

Sens will have a bigger year over year bump IMO
OTT may jump all the way to 81 pts! And then they'll have the privilege of giving raises to DeBrincat and Stutzle while needing to replace a goalie and three D-men (expiring value 10.5M)
Old 08-17-2022, 01:20 PM   #4087
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Awesome. I'm calling them the jackers from now on.
LOL how did I not catch that spelling mistake
Old 08-17-2022, 01:28 PM   #4088
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OTT may jump all the way to 81 pts! And then they'll have the privilege of giving raises to DeBrincat and Stutzle while needing to replace a goalie and three D-men (expiring value 10.5M)
I'm not saying they are great either fyi...these teams all suck

I'm question how much if a win it is for a rebuilding 81 point team to sign a 29 year old coming off a career season to a long term/ high cash deal. I think there is a reason teams like Philly said no thanks.

Calgary was coming off a 111 point season when they offered similar, makes far more sense for a team in win now mode. Personally I would rather have 65 points than 85 this season considering the draft.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:12 PM   #4089
GUnit
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm not too overly bummed out that he left of course I would have preferred he stayed but thats the privilege of becoming a UFA.

What gets me is that blowhard Francis was right
GUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:25 PM   #4090
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!
Yes, I think it is silly to compare the Jackets future to the Devils, the Devils are going to be a ridiculously strong team in the near future. They are not comparable at all.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:48 PM   #4091
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Yes, I think it is silly to compare the Jackets future to the Devils, the Devils are going to be a ridiculously strong team in the near future. They are not comparable at all.
Because their going to suck again this year and get Bedard?

Their D and G are every bit as questionable as CBJ.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:47 PM   #4092
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because their going to suck again this year and get Bedard?

Their D and G are every bit as questionable as CBJ.
I would he happy to bet you that the Devils don't finish last to draft Bedard. The Devils have a much better forward group than Columbus, especially down the middle.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 12:00 AM   #4093
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
To be fair though the Flames have been a high end regular season team, not finishing 9th or 10th
They just had 111 points, you might be right about playoffs though

Gaudreau's comments and actions of late show that winning isn't a very high priority, not sure how anyone can argue....and yeah every bad team has intriguing prospects. Sens, Detroit, ect...its hard not to when you rarely make the playoffs. There is zero chance Gaudreau is there on the foresight he thinks they will be a contender when his career is winding down, he is in his absolute prime...if he wanted to win he would have gone to a playoff team at the very least. (or stayed with one)
Thats the thing though, the Flames have repeatedly shown they can bring it during the season, but when its playoff time, they can't hack it. Two completely brands of hockey. Gaudreau walking and Tkachuk wanting out might be the best thing to happen to this franchise, they failed miserably every year during prime time. I was hoping the Dallas series might be the turning point in the cores playoff trajectory but in the end it didn't do a damn thing.

I agree with you on your assessment of Columbus, in many respects though they are like Calgary because they aren't top of mind when it comes to places to play and have to rely heavily on the draft. From a hockey perspective Gaudreau made a terrible decision but we've come to realize I don't think that really matters to him.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 12:05 AM   #4094
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
From the Jackets’ perspective, I suspect they view Gaudreau the way we view Huberdeau.

He legitimizes them. He’s the biggest free agent signing in team history. We think Canadian teams have a hard time getting players to stay, but they really don’t.

The noteworthy players Columbus has either lost for nothing or who’ve demanded trades is worse than ours.

Panarin, Bobrovsky, Duchene, Jones, Dubois, Nash, Carter, I’m sure I’m leaving some guys out.

That’s so tough.

They signed Gaudreau, and immediately signed Laine for another four years. Laine could well score 60 with Gaudreau setting him up, and Gaudreau honestly could win an MVP if that Jackets team makes the playoffs and he’s got another 100+ points with 70 assists.

It has given them a huge boost in season ticket sales.

And if they get into the playoffs, they might win a round or two. Maybe more, if the goaltending comes together and some other guys develop.

Making the playoffs, Winning even one round, does so much in a market to create long term fans, which is what a place like Columbus needs to do.

They can’t be stuck as a bottom-5 or bottom-10 team in perpetuity, or they’ll dry up and blow away, precisely because they’re not a Canadian team.
I don't see the Jackets as currently constructed winning anything in the playoffs. If you are relying on Gaudreau and Laine as your playoff horses you are in real trouble IMO.

I agree that with the Huberdeau outlook but even with him, the Flames are nowhere near good enough upfront to get it done in the playoffs IMO. I think we are two legit top 6 forwards away from being a true threat in the playoffs (1st line RW & 2nd line C).

Hopefully Brad still has a couple moves up his sleeve.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:10 AM   #4095
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
Thats the thing though, the Flames have repeatedly shown they can bring it during the season, but when its playoff time, they can't hack it. Two completely brands of hockey. Gaudreau walking and Tkachuk wanting out might be the best thing to happen to this franchise, they failed miserably every year during prime time. I was hoping the Dallas series might be the turning point in the cores playoff trajectory but in the end it didn't do a damn thing.

I agree with you on your assessment of Columbus, in many respects though they are like Calgary because they aren't top of mind when it comes to places to play and have to rely heavily on the draft. From a hockey perspective Gaudreau made a terrible decision but we've come to realize I don't think that really matters to him.
The Flames have been up and down during the regular seasons also

They have never been the favorite really
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:48 AM   #4096
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post

I will say this on the Flames and the playoffs - another team that looked like they couldn't hack it and always disappointed come playoffs was the Washington Capitals. They flamed out in the playoffs for like a decade - never making it to even the conference finals - then they won a cup - and then went back to flaming out every year. So it can happen.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:30 AM   #4097
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any evidence the strength of the roster is an important factor in where UFAs sign?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:19 AM   #4098
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Is there any evidence the strength of the roster is an important factor in where UFAs sign?
Maybe for older guys looking for a cup. Not 7 year contract guys IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 12:51 PM   #4099
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I would he happy to bet you that the Devils don't finish last to draft Bedard. The Devils have a much better forward group than Columbus, especially down the middle.
And despite those C's coming into their own (last year being years 3 and 5), a great rookie year for Mercer (age 20), and huge steps forward for Bratt and Sharangovich, they managed only 63 pts.

I'm sure you'll mention Hughes injury. In the 49 gp he did play the team was 15-32-2 (0.327).

Of course they still have room to improve and more guys coming, but a lot of the potential is becoming realized with weak results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I will say this on the Flames and the playoffs - another team that looked like they couldn't hack it and always disappointed come playoffs was the Washington Capitals. They flamed out in the playoffs for like a decade - never making it to even the conference finals - then they won a cup - and then went back to flaming out every year. So it can happen.
Except WAS was very competitive in every single reg season and playoffs except one:

Spoiler!
Old 08-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #4100
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

how do you like them apples Johnny?? lol

suck it in CBJ!

Tags
incels outing themselves