Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-23-2022, 10:40 AM   #1
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2022 NCAA Football thread

Didn’t see a new thread for this year, so I figured I’d get it started.

Big news today. Kind of surprised on the choice.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1540008218138746880
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:35 AM   #2
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Didn’t see a new thread for this year, so I figured I’d get it started.

Big news today. Kind of surprised on the choice.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1540008218138746880
Gotta think it's NIL, I'll bet Texas threw a boatload of money his way.
NIL is out of control now.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Texas has some of the biggest boosters with there oil money. It's gonna be even funnier when they go 7-5.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:00 PM   #4
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not yet comfortable with the new landscape of college football, with NIL deals and the number of “student athletes” transferring each year. I know it’s still early but everything seems like a total crapshoot from one year to the next.

As for Texas, they just landed Quinn Ewers from OSU and he was supposed to be the next can’t miss QB prospect. Now they have two.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:21 PM   #5
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Arch is a bust
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:08 AM   #6
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I’m not yet comfortable with the new landscape of college football, with NIL deals and the number of “student athletes” transferring each year. I know it’s still early but everything seems like a total crapshoot from one year to the next.

As for Texas, they just landed Quinn Ewers from OSU and he was supposed to be the next can’t miss QB prospect. Now they have two.
The double whammy of NIL and the transfer portal has completely changed college sports and I'm not sure I am okay with it either. I don't think anyone predicted it would evolve into what it has so quickly. The NCAA really needs to bring in some guidance on this or things will get out of control to the detriment of all college sport.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 10:23 AM   #7
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose technically this is for the 2023 season....

I really like this format (3-5-5) for the bigger conferences. The only downside is there are only 8 conference games but provided the non conference games are vs. Power 5 schools this is a pretty good model. Would love for the SEC to do something similar, they are going to have to change something up anyhow when Texas and OU come over.

https://theacc.com/news/2022/6/28/ac...r-2023-26.aspx
Old 06-30-2022, 11:58 AM   #8
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

USC and UCLA are reportedly headed to the Big Ten. Oregon and Washington next?

Old 06-30-2022, 03:33 PM   #9
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Looks like a done deal
https://twitter.com/user/status/1542621304691384320
Old 06-30-2022, 05:07 PM   #10
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow, didn't expect it to go so quickly from the Big 12 being done and dead to the Pac-12 now looking like a conference that's not going to survive.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:33 PM   #11
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lincoln Riley left Oklahoma because he’s scared of the SEC now only to wind up in the Big 10. How long till he bolts form USC?

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 08:25 PM   #12
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Sounds like they want to get into a pod structure, most likely 4 pods of 5: West, Central, NE, East.

Just gotta pick up Oregon, Wash, Notre Dame and one more
Old 06-30-2022, 08:28 PM   #13
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

College football is becoming less appealing by the day. Between the constant transfers and now the mega conferences, it’s losing a lot of its lustre.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 09:48 PM   #14
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
College football is becoming less appealing by the day. Between the constant transfers and now the mega conferences, it’s losing a lot of its lustre.
Yeah, as someone who grew up following the Pac-10, this is getting out of control and not in a good way IMO. Blah.

Don’t even bother making the kids go to school anymore, it’s all about the money now and getting your piece of the billion dollar pie it seems…
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:04 PM   #15
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Lincoln Riley left Oklahoma because he’s scared of the SEC now only to wind up in the Big 10. How long till he bolts form USC?
I think he left for money and a better program
Old 07-01-2022, 09:01 AM   #16
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
These next couple years where teams are playing in conferences they'll leave the next year and other moves announced monthly makes for a big mess. At least go ahead and figure out what the final landscape looks like and get something stable. It's going to be hard to care too much while in such a limbo state.

Is it just going to be a power 2, with ACC, Big 12, and PAC 12 looking more like group of 5 than power conferences?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:29 AM   #17
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I hope this leads to the destruction of the NCAA. Let the schools police themselves, get three NIL deals in line, and pay the labour that creates their product. It’s a minor league system that feeds the NFL so construct and compensate it as such.

PAC12 is going to be in a rough way if Oregon jumps ship next. May as well become the mountain west. I think the four 16 team megaconferences will become a new reality sooner rather than later
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:42 AM   #18
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I hope this leads to the destruction of the NCAA. Let the schools police themselves, get three NIL deals in line, and pay the labour that creates their product. It’s a minor league system that feeds the NFL so construct and compensate it as such.

PAC12 is going to be in a rough way if Oregon jumps ship next. May as well become the mountain west. I think the four 16 team megaconferences will become a new reality sooner rather than later
The trick is always balancing the 20 or so teams that actually make profits with the hundred that already lose money. And the 2% of players who are there to try to go pro with the 98% hopefully there for school. And all the other athletes from the no/low revenue sports.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:07 PM   #19
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

its going to be the super conference era for sure.

ND is the key. If they join the B1G, the ACC will start to implode with Clemson and FSU looking to join the SEC.

I would there's actually profitability or break even at least for all the teams in the B1G and SEC. Both distribute 50 +/- million per year in TV revenue alone to each member, this doesn't include season tix, mech etc... that's the reason teams are scrambling now to get their foot in the door.

The B1G, imo, would be perfect to add Oregon, Stanford, Washington and ND. Add AAU schools (except ND, but its academics are beyond reproach). That would allow for a west division.

the new B1G and SEC conferences are due for new TV contracts. Speculation is that those contracts will get to 100 million per school payout in 10 years. That would more than double the monies being paid to the PAC12 currently, with USC and UCLA, where they get about 36 million per school

Sucks for traditional college football fans though...I wish it would go back to the way it was before, but the genie is out of the bottle; there's no going back
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:57 PM   #20
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The ACC is a curious situation though because of the grant of rights for like 13 more years. That’s going to be an interesting legal situation when it inevitably unfolds.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote