Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2022, 09:51 AM   #5761
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Also, we should try to get some vets from Arizona, heard from a reliable source that multiple vets are very unhappy with the situation and think it is a joke and want to leave (idk if this is common knowledge), while the young guys think it is awesome and are excited. No idea about specific players.
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Naitix For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 09:59 AM   #5762
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
There’s just not a lot of teams that could even take him now though. I’m fine with him staying, it’s one more year and he’s great for the room and adds some snarl. Could he Looch’s last hurrah so he might have an extra gear this year as well.
As per sureLoss' post, if we can get a winger for multiple years right now, whether by trade or signing and are willing to sign multiple years (e.g. Milano, Kessel), you have to consider moving Lucic still.

Yes, he may get more value at the trade deadline, but if we can improve our roster while predictably getting an asset in the fold (especially for the RW), it should be done. I also think Lucic endeared himself to at least a couple of teams with his play last year.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #5763
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitix View Post
Also, we should try to get some vets from Arizona, heard from a reliable source that multiple vets are very unhappy with the situation and think it is a joke and want to leave (idk if this is common knowledge), while the young guys think it is awesome and are excited. No idea about specific players.
What older players? Take a look at their roster. Their older players are Kassian, Ladd, and Bjustad. Everyone else is under 25 so not sure anyone can really say old.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:14 AM   #5764
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
What older players? Take a look at their roster. Their older players are Kassian, Ladd, and Bjustad. Everyone else is under 25 so not sure anyone can really say old.
He didn't say older players, he said "vets", so I'd imagine look at players with 3+ years of NHL experience? Guys like Keller, Schmaltz, Chychrun, Fischer?

I dunno
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:19 AM   #5765
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It’s 50/50 at this point whether Valimaki even sticks as an NHL regular. Every team has a couple Valimakis in their system. He has very little value.
I think Valimaki can still turn into an NHL regular, but I think he has been soured on the Flames. That being said, I don't have any reason to think some team will pay us based on what he might be at this point, so his value probably isn't much at the moment.
GhostCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:23 AM   #5766
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
As per sureLoss' post, if we can get a winger for multiple years right now, whether by trade or signing and are willing to sign multiple years (e.g. Milano, Kessel), you have to consider moving Lucic still.

Yes, he may get more value at the trade deadline, but if we can improve our roster while predictably getting an asset in the fold (especially for the RW), it should be done. I also think Lucic endeared himself to at least a couple of teams with his play last year.
Moving Lucic only opens up cap space for the 22/23 season. He is already off the books for the 23/24 season.

If you are bringing in a player for multiple years salary for 23/24 needs to be moved out.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:29 AM   #5767
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Moving Lucic only opens up cap space for the 22/23 season. He is already off the books for the 23/24 season.

If you are bringing in a player for multiple years salary for 23/24 needs to be moved out.
Yeah but if you can get a winger in the fold now, that would serve as some impetus to get rid of Lucic now too - or, at least, soon.

His salary is off the books in 23/24 but if you're Brad and predictability is your requirement, then getting rid of Lucic earlier isn't off the books IMO.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:37 AM   #5768
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see any more trades where we take on cap without equal or close to equal cap going out.

We either sign a winger with the $2M of cap we have remaining on a 1 year deal (think Kessel or Statsny)

Or we move a dman for a winger of a similar cap hit (Kylington and Hanifin would be the likely candidates IMO).
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:37 AM   #5769
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
He didn't say older players, he said "vets", so I'd imagine look at players with 3+ years of NHL experience? Guys like Keller, Schmaltz, Chychrun, Fischer?

I dunno
But those are the young players.

I can't imagine a guy like Bjugstad thinking it's a joke and wanting out — he just signed there. And guys like Ladd and Kassian probably can't get NHL minutes anywhere else.

The only guy I've heard about wanting out is Chychrun.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 10:39 AM   #5770
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Honestly I don’t think there is any reason to address the wing position before the trade deadline. With the current $2 million in cap space. It will allow the Flames to bring in what…. A 6+ million dollar player as a rental? This seems like a much better use of the cap space than trying to shoehorn in a lesser ufa winger right now.

The Flames, as currently constructed, should not only be a playoff team but a likely pacific division winner. Adding to that at the deadline would be my preference.

Given the above, I don’t like the idea of moving Lucic at all. He is a nuclear deterrent from both a fighting and hitting perspective. On top of that, his net-front presence directly resulted in a bunch of PP goals on PP2, even though his own personal goals and assists dried up in the second half of the season, he’s really hard to move when he set up in from of a goalie. Basically, he provides things that nobody else in the lineup can replicate.

Keep Lucic, keep all of our top 6 defensemen, and trade for a winger at the deadline
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HitterD For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 10:39 AM   #5771
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucic was the first (or one of the first?) guys to contact Huberdeau and has been one of the players who is most excited about the new additions according to Ryan Leslie. It doesn't sound like he is going anywhere.

He'll stay and fill the same role Maroon did the last few years for Tampa.

Cheapish 1-year deal on a UFA forward and re-signing Weegar and Stone are probably the last moves left.

Last edited by mile; 08-19-2022 at 10:57 AM. Reason: forgot Weegar
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #5772
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Deal Valimaki, sign Rodrigues.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli
Mangiapane-Kadri-Rodrigues
Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman
Dube-Rooney-Lewis

Hanifin-Anderson
Kylington-Weeger
Zadarov-Tanev
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #5773
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
He's scored every year he's been to the playoffs, even with some sorry Hawk teams of late. They only made the playoffs because of him those later years. I have little doubt the playoffs would fire him up again.
But they haven't made it in 5 years aside from the play-in. After the cup win they made it twice and got bounced and since then - no POs except when they got to play NoGood.

Don't get me wrong. He's an elite player, I was just pondering the bias towards old memories of 2015, since he hasn't had much PO to speak of since.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:30 AM   #5774
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
But they haven't made it in 5 years aside from the play-in. After the cup win they made it twice and got bounced and since then - no POs except when they got to play NoGood.

Don't get me wrong. He's an elite player, I was just pondering the bias towards old memories of 2015, since he hasn't had much PO to speak of since.
His play during the season has not decreased. No reason to think his playoff performance would be any different.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #5775
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

You worry about that later. The cap could go up 5 million or more next year
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:38 AM   #5776
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do we feel about the Flames Packaging Valimaki, Dube and Zary to get a top 6 RW?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:39 AM   #5777
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
How do we feel about the Flames Packaging Valimaki, Dube and Zary to get a top 6 RW?
Great but who is it and why do they want our assemblage of devalued assets?
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 11:52 AM   #5778
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
If they are cap controlled, I’m listening.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 02:03 PM   #5779
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel great about it. I doubt another team wants to give up a far better player for a poo poo platter of stuff.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 02:11 PM   #5780
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If the Flames stay patient over the next while there will be deals to be had out there. Even though they have very little cap space, $2.1m is more than most teams have at this point and there might be a player available that fits what they are looking for.

Part of me just wants them to go sign Rodrigues slot him in on the 2nd or 3rd line and call it a day.

That being said if they are patient there might be a better deal out there. I am pretty surprised at how much quality depth there is still available on the market, there just isn’t enough cap to fit all these players.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Calgary sign guys like Cody Eakin or Sam Steel to PTO’s.

Guys like Dekeyser, de Haan, Murray and even Cholowski are pretty solid defensive depth.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote