Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-16-2022, 10:48 PM   #641
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrick Reed suing Brandel Chamblee (and Golf Channel) blaming him for being labeled a cheater.

Maybe Patrick it’s because you cheat?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:52 PM   #642
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd sue Chamblee just because.

That guy is a complete ahole. How he has a job on TV is beyond me.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:54 AM   #643
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrick Reed's lawsuit is for 750 mill... lol.

Cameron Smith being assessed a penalty a day late on the weekend was not suspicious at all. The Tour had to do absolutely everything to prevent him from winning the fed ex cup, as his defection to LIV is certainly happening. He has responded with a WD this coming weekend, citing hip pain or something. The 100 million or so he is getting must be nice, but he is basically taking himself out of the majors right during his peak. And as we have seen with so many golfers over the last 10 years, peaking in golf is so short for most players.

Seems like the formula for Norman is going to be immediately going after the major winners right after they win- which definitely shows this is a grudge match for him. Won't be surprised if he immediately goes after the Fed Ex cup champ.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:26 AM   #644
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

What is the root cause of Norman's bitterness? Is it all those blown final rounds in majors that he wants 54 hole formats?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 10:48 AM   #645
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The theory about Norman's bitterness (and it clearly is at this point IMO) is that he came up with the idea for the WGC events as a completely separate tour, and is bitter the PGA eventually just rolled it into the tour. Like they stole his baby or some ####. He's also (allegedly) just an incredibly greedy and selfish prick, so there's that.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:36 PM   #646
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

These two tours need to find a way to co-exist. All this posturing and bickering is wasted effort.

The PGA Tour doesn't control the majors and doesn't control professional golf, yet they think they do.

The sooner they figure that out, the better off pro golf will be.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:08 AM   #647
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I've already said I think the PGA needs to tread lightly as far as being too militant in going after LIV, let's not act like LIV really wants to co-exist. You aren't spending the money they've spent to be the AFL to the PGA's NFL. They ultimately want to be the only major professional golf tour, and Norman's bitterness is driving a fair amount of that. It's also worth pointing out, kinda crucially, that there still at this point does not appear to be any demand for LIV Golf, short of being some extension of MAGA. The irony of it all though, the Saudis wanting to sportswash and their current biggest foothold is with a group who hates Muslims.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 08-18-2022 at 06:11 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:04 AM   #648
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
While I've already said I think the PGA needs to tread lightly as far as being too militant in going after LIV, let's not act like LIV really wants to co-exist. You aren't spending the money they've spent to be the AFL to the PGA's NFL. They ultimately want to be the only major professional golf tour, and Norman's bitterness is driving a fair amount of that. It's also worth pointing out, kinda crucially, that there still at this point does not appear to be any demand for LIV Golf, short of being some extension of MAGA. The irony of it all though, the Saudis wanting to sportswash and their current biggest foothold is with a group who hates Muslims.
It's hard to see what a co-existence would even look like. I agree that LIV's only path to success is to take down the PGA tour. If both tours continue down the road of requiring at least 14 or so tournaments, then players aren't going to play both. If the two tours cut a deal for 4 or so LIV tournaments that PGA players could play and not lose eligibility, then that's just 4 tournaments on top of a busy schedule that no one is going to care about, and LIV isn't giving players 100 million plus to come play 4 tournaments a year.

One side needs to win. If liv somehow got the majority of top 15 players on their tour, then it's pretty much game over for the PGA tour as it is now. It can't exist as a big money tour without the best golfers. If LIV did win out and got all the good players, how do they succeed in the long run? Where are their new stars coming from? Will people watch if they are the top tour? So many golf fans detest their format and the invite only/guaranteed money aspect of it.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #649
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keegan Bradley out in 29
Old 08-18-2022, 05:56 PM   #650
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Anecdotally, I talk to lots of people about golf and liv comes up a lot in the context of this battle between the leagues. But what hasn't come up is a single word about their tournaments - the players, scores, highlights, shots, rounds. Nothing, not a single mention.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:42 PM   #651
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conners with a solid round and continues to look good for East Lake. Hughes almost DFL and that's probably the season for him.

Sloan and Gligic with good rounds in Boise and are positioned to make the cut.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:27 PM   #652
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve watched some of the US Amateur this week. Pretty good stuff, nice course. I’ll watch that before I’ll watch an exhibition with nothing on the line, no matter who’s playing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2022, 01:00 PM   #653
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Anecdotally, I talk to lots of people about golf and liv comes up a lot in the context of this battle between the leagues. But what hasn't come up is a single word about their tournaments - the players, scores, highlights, shots, rounds. Nothing, not a single mention.
Same.
I have a couple golf whatsapp groups and not a single guy has even watched any Liv.
Plenty of talk about the drama though.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:02 PM   #654
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I expect that after the FedEx is finished and more players leave the PGA that people will start to pay attention to the action on the Liv tour. It will take a while for Liv events to gain some traction but it will happen.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #655
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I expect that after the FedEx is finished and more players leave the PGA that people will start to pay attention to the action on the Liv tour. It will take a while for Liv events to gain some traction but it will happen.
One problem they'll run into is the constant shuffle of top players in the game these days.
Right now Cam Smith gets the big payday but a year ago they would have been chasing Rahm, maybe Morikawa the year before.
Maybe Zallitoris or someone is the Cam Smith of 2023, are they just going to offer out $100 million contracts all the time?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2022, 04:49 PM   #656
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Will it? They are just exhibitions, I just don’t know that any golfer is enough of a draw for that. Do people really want to watch Cam Smith play a round of golf? I guess we’ll see but there has to be something on the line to get fans excited IMO.
Old 08-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #657
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paying more attention to LIV might require it to actually be on TV first. You can have the greatest field in history and if you have to stream it on YouTube it's gonna struggle to find a big audience. But it's the format that ensures no one cares, it's just not something to take seriously. If it ultimately comes down to a choice between LIV in it's current format or not watching televised golf at all, I will find something else to watch. In a lot of ways that's ultimately the fatal flaw of LIV, who really asked for this other than players who want ####loads of money? There is no organic demand from fans for this.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:04 AM   #658
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Paying more attention to LIV might require it to actually be on TV first. You can have the greatest field in history and if you have to stream it on YouTube it's gonna struggle to find a big audience. But it's the format that ensures no one cares, it's just not something to take seriously. If it ultimately comes down to a choice between LIV in it's current format or not watching televised golf at all, I will find something else to watch. In a lot of ways that's ultimately the fatal flaw of LIV, who really asked for this other than players who want ####loads of money? There is no organic demand from fans for this.
Yep, TV is the toughest hurdle... US has already stated it won't broadcast LIV
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #659
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

54 hole golf tournamnents should be reserved for age 50 plus. The best professional tournaments have always been 72 holes and always should be. The whole making the cut, moving day and Sunday are what make it entertaining for the fans and grueling for the athletes.

Liv is just a golf exhibition of has-beens and the golf world's most unlikable personalities.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:39 PM   #660
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion until they get on tv regularly it seems they will have a hard time resonating with the average golf fan.

And it seems that they will have a hard time finding a tv partner given how each major network has a piece of the action in terms of nbc/the golf channel, abc- the open and cbs - the masters.

Does tsn/sn even broadcast highlights of liv tour events?