Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #21
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
The protestors aren't all terrible people. They have some legitimate gripes in many cases. The problem is that they are falling in line behind documented racists and white nationalists using the mandate protests as cover for their own gross agenda. Their leaders have been shown to be extremists and yet the Karens and Kevins at the protests aren't morally strong enough to walk away from these lunatics.
I’m against Kevin being used as a male Karen. I hope that’s not becoming a thing lol.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #22
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
A large (majority?) of the population thinks that our current restriction policies are now no longer necessary or wanted.
Source?

Have the local health services come out and said they want them lifted? That there's no need for them any more?

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #23
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
A large (majority?) of the population thinks that our current restriction policies are now no longer necessary or wanted. Trudeau may disagree with this, and he may do so based on his advisors. But his big mistake was taking an approach that outright refused discussion and open-ness. He basically took an approach that created a binary: either you were with his decisions or you were a racist, misogynist with unacceptable views.

I think a lot of Canadians are looking at themselves and saying: wait a second, I think the trucker vaccine mandate is a bad policy and I'm not a racist.

Our government's approach will be a case study in how not to carry on a national debate/discussion in a democracy.
The perpetuation of the trucker vaccine mandate fallacy is in itself divisive. Why do you do this?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #24
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I’m against Kevin being used as a male Karen. I hope that’s not becoming a thing lol.
Settle down, there, Kevin. We don't want a scene.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A large (majority?) of the population thinks that our current restriction policies are now no longer necessary or wanted. Trudeau may disagree with this, and he may do so based on his advisors. But his big mistake was taking an approach that outright refused discussion and open-ness. He basically took an approach that created a binary: either you were with his decisions or you were a racist, misogynist with unacceptable views.

I think a lot of Canadians are looking at themselves and saying: wait a second, I think the trucker vaccine mandate is a bad policy and I'm not a racist.

Our government's approach will be a case study in how not to carry on a national debate/discussion in a democracy.
There is no trucker vaccinate mandate. Fake news, BoLevi.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:59 PM   #26
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I endorse the title of this thread!
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #27
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole 'this is divisive' meme is weak sauce. These people may have extended our pandemic restrictions by not getting vaccinated, impacted our economy by blocking our busiest border crossing, impacting people lives by honking their horns and forcing business to close in Ottawa. They have flags and goals of having our elected government overthrown. They drive around in cars essentially calling other sheep and idiots for taking a vaccine - yet its the people annoyed by them and calling them names who are divisive.

Honestly - get lost with that.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:06 PM   #28
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Agreed. I’d like to speak to whoever manages these decisions.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:10 PM   #29
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
You’re wondering why the government didn’t have dialogue, with experts in the field of trucking, regarding emergency public health restrictions? And at precisely the peak of covid hospitalizations across the country?
It makes sense for a gov't to have dialogue with people who disagree with them. They could have done this WAY before the word convoy even became part of our nation lexicon.

Instead, Trudeau doubled down, started firehosing labels, pretended that a valid difference of opinion can't exist, and then disappeared.

Meanwhile every other jurisdiction on earth is signalling that they intend an orderly deconstruction of covid restrictions.

Trudeau has painted himself into a corner now, of course.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:12 PM   #30
DevilsAdvocate
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It makes sense for a gov't to have dialogue with people who disagree with them. They could have done this WAY before the word convoy even became part of our nation lexicon.
So, therefore, my friends have to suffer. Makes perfect sense.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:16 PM   #31
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Source?

Have the local health services come out and said they want them lifted? That there's no need for them any more?
https://angusreid.org/omicron-incidence-restrictions/
Old 02-13-2022, 02:24 PM   #32
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not a local health service.

I want restrictions to end too but I'm willing to wait until the health authorities feel it is safe to do so to the point they won't be overwhelmed. Follow their directions.

I repeat my question.

Quote:

Old 02-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #33
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:

Damn it, I'm so freaking mad. The potholes on my street are out of control. Sure the weather here next to the Atlantic Ocean has been crazy, with the ground freezing and thawing on a weekly basis.

Why the bloody hell won't Jason Kenny pave my street?!?!?!?!

I'm going to set up a convoy to protest the fact Jason Kenney isn't paving municipal streets in Nova Scotia!

(That makes about as much sense as blaming Trudeau for provincial covid mandates)

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #34
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's not a local health service.

I want restrictions to end too but I'm willing to wait until the health authorities feel it is safe to do so to the point they won't be overwhelmed. Follow their directions.

I repeat my question.
I said that the majority of Canadians want the restrictions lifted. You asked for a source, and I gave it.

You can disagree with that majority, that's a perfectly reasonable discussion. Frankly it's a topic upon which reasonable people can disagree. I understand that your position is that the local health authorities should be defining all policy. However, that does not appear to be the position of the majority of Canadians. I think it is a sign of a healthy democracy if the citizenry can disagree on these things in a meaningful healthy way. Isn't dialogue better than the alternative?
Old 02-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #35
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Instead, Trudeau doubled down, started firehosing labels, pretended that a valid difference of opinion can't exist, and then disappeared.
Is this your opinion or a fact?

Quote:
Meanwhile every other jurisdiction on earth is signalling that they intend an orderly deconstruction of covid restrictions.
The bolded means they aren’t actually doing anything but you’re trying to convince people that they are.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:38 PM   #36
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What was not decisive about removing the restrictions?

They have decided that the time isn't yet right to do so based on their scientific advisors.

Can you show me where they were indecisive?
Do you have a source for this?
Old 02-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #37
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I understand that your position is that the local health authorities should be defining all policy. However, that does not appear to be the position of the majority of Canadians. I think it is a sign of a healthy democracy if the citizenry can disagree on these things in a meaningful healthy way. Isn't dialogue better than the alternative?
My position is that the appropriate health authorities should be strongly listened to with regards to when it is safe to lift restrictions.

Why would I or anyone want to or be forced to take directions on health related matters from a trucker?

Can you explain how costing thousands of people their jobs and the economy millions is disagreeing in a "meaningful healthy way".

And finally again. Can you answer the question.

Quote:

Old 02-13-2022, 03:04 PM   #38
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My position is that the appropriate health authorities should be strongly listened to with regards to when it is safe to lift restrictions.

Why would I or anyone want to or be forced to take directions on health related matters from a trucker?

Can you explain how costing thousands of people their jobs and the economy millions is disagreeing in a "meaningful healthy way".

And finally again. Can you answer the question.
54 percent of the population is much larger than just truckers. Should you not engage with those that disagree with your position?
Old 02-13-2022, 03:07 PM   #39
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read that an American who was part of the Trump administration (resigned in 2020) is in Ottawa talking to people and plans to organize something similar but much bigger in the US in the near future (according to him).
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #40
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1492977437478735875
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote