Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2022, 11:22 AM   #6161
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-...berg-1.6554683

Quote:
A top executive at former U.S. president Donald Trump's family business pleaded guilty Thursday to evading taxes in a deal that could potentially make him a star witness against the company at a fall trial.

Trump Organization chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg pleaded guilty to all 15 of the charges he faced in the case, which included charges of tax fraud, grand larceny and falsifying business records. He was accused of dodging taxes on lavish fringe benefits he got from the company, including lease payments for a luxury car, rent for a Manhattan apartment and private school tuition for his grandchildren.

Seen as one of Trump's most loyal business associates, Weisselberg was arrested in July 2021. He is the only person to face criminal charges so far in the Manhattan district attorney's long-running investigation of the company's business practices.

Judge Juan Manuel Merchan agreed to sentence Weisselberg, 75, to five months incarceration and five years probation at New York City's Rikers Island jail complex, although he will be eligible for release much earlier if he behaves well behind bars. The judge said Weisselberg will have to pay nearly $2 million US in taxes, penalties and interest.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 12:04 PM   #6162
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
This is interesting, in that it unravels the core of Trump's family scheme to live their lavish life. If Weisselberg was taking millions of tax evading perks, you can bet Trump's family was taking 10s of millions. It's basically the same scheme that took down the Bluth family!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 08:50 AM   #6163
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If you're right, and the GOP takes the house and senate as predicted, then the US will 100% go full Handmaid's Tale

Democrats are now favoured to maintain control of the Senate and the house.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 08:57 AM   #6164
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
That's been quite the surprising development and the real X factor of the next few months. The democrats love to underperform their expectations, so I am wondering exactly where this all lands.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 09:55 AM   #6165
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

538 still has Republicans favoured to take the house:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 11:03 AM   #6166
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

That senate forecast is lovely.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:11 AM   #6167
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, it’s good that the Dems are projected (currently) to control the Senate, but how does it impair them if they lose the House? I find the U.S. system confusing.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #6168
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

If different parties control one of each it’s simply gridlock. Nothing more nothing less
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #6169
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
So, it’s good that the Dems are projected (currently) to control the Senate, but how does it impair them if they lose the House? I find the U.S. system confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
If different parties control one of each it’s simply gridlock. Nothing more nothing less
That. Legislation needs both the house and senate to pass, so if they're split then absolutely nothing gets done. The senate is the more important branch though as that controls judicial confirmations
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:30 AM   #6170
photon

Exp:

Basically it would make Republicans able to block anything.. any legislation has to pass through both the House and the Senate before it can be signed into law by the President.

To get most things through the Senate requires 60 votes anyway, so that's usually where legislation dies.. the exception being reconciliation bills can get through the Senate with a bare majority (or the VP being a tie breaker).

"Budget reconciliation bills can deal with spending, revenue, and the federal debt limit, and the Senate can pass one bill per year affecting each subject." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconc...tates_Congress)

The House only requires a majority to pass legislation.

So any legislation that isn't reconciliation requires Republican votes anyway, so doing something like putting access to abortion or same sex marriage into law requires a majority in the House and a super majority in the Senate (60 votes).

Which means even now doing anything except reconciliation that doesn't have support from Republicans is impossible.

Losing the House would mean more Republican support would be needed to do anything, but that's a barrier to almost everything as it is so not much would change for non-reconciliation legislation.

Reconciliation type legislation would be harder to pass but they would still do it since it's stuff like budget to make sure the government stays in operation.

Increased chance of government shutdowns when they can't all agree, Republicans will suddenly become debt hawks again, etc.

EDIT: Good point about judicial confirmations.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:43 AM   #6171
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, in some sense it renders the government impotent. I haven’t read this yet but found this which will help me better understand how the U.S. government works.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/about-the...lative-branch/

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 08-19-2022 at 12:19 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:07 PM   #6172
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Senate requires 60 votes to end debate and a simple majority to pass a bill. It's weird.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:59 PM   #6173
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Betting odds, maybe.

But 538 still has a clear Republican victory even though I think Trump is hurting the GOP right now.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:32 PM   #6174
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bottom line is, odds are indicating a Republican majority in the House and a narrow win for the Dems in the Senate. Meaning a bunch if crazy things being ideated in the House that end up being blocked by the Dems in the Senate and in general, a whole lot of nothing getting done, which the GOP will use to their advantage in 2024...
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:26 PM   #6175
photon

Exp:

Basically back to Obama years where Republicans considered like 100 different bills to repeal or defund or gut the ACA (and actually passed like a dozen of them).

Easy to pass a bill to do something unpopular but virtue signals to your base when you know it isn't going to become law.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:45 PM   #6176
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I'm surprised to hear this opinion. I think he's the exact opposite of Cruz in that he has a killer instinct and is plenty charismatic enough for a politician. People tolerate Cruz, but they love DeSantis.

I like DeSantis. He seems like the kind of conservatives that most old school republicans can get behind and definitely more palatable than someone like Trump, Palin, or Tom Cotton.

Dems might be in trouble because Biden is basically a corpse and I don't know who takes over. Harris doesn't poll well and isn't likeable and Gavin Newsome is definitely not the answer either.

I wonder if a DeSantis/Haley ticket is how the republicans would go in 2024.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:51 PM   #6177
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I like DeSantis. He seems like the kind of conservatives that most old school republicans can get behind and definitely more palatable than someone like Trump, Palin, or Tom Cotton.

Dems might be in trouble because Biden is basically a corpse and I don't know who takes over. Harris doesn't poll well and isn't likeable and Gavin Newsome is definitely not the answer either.

I kind am starting to suspect DeSantis is following into the trap democrats generally fall into - push on moral issues you think your base cares about when its only a fringe % of the electorate.

I think he is so surrounded by yes people he doesn't realize how little people care about his social issues, yet some of these social issues have opponents in masses who do care.

The opposite of the left's sometimes over zealous 'wokeness' the right hammers them on

Last edited by Mull; 08-20-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2022, 12:11 AM   #6178
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post

Curious on why you think Newsom isn't the answer?

I think Newsom would wipe the floor with DeSantis who daily now is looking like a crazy mini-me from the Trump world, Newsom would shred him apart in debates and in policy.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:38 AM   #6179
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I really don't understand why they continue to idolize Trump. He's a loser. He lost to Joe Biden. Who lines up behind a loser? Giant losers, that's who.

Because they’re compromised. The GOP are a Russian asset.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:09 AM   #6180
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I really don't understand why they continue to idolize Trump. He's a loser. He lost to Joe Biden. Who lines up behind a loser? Giant losers, that's who.
The GOP is more concerned with holding onto power. They will happily spout Trumps big lie if it helps them win a Primary and then the Midterms.