Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2022, 10:19 AM   #421
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

If Lucic was going to retire wouldn't he have to pay back that bonus he's already been paid since he will not have played in the final year of the contract? So really his wage for this year is 4 million and not 1. So it's not like these deals where the total compensation for the final year was 1 million hence the player retiring. The overall compensation is still significant.

If thats the case, no chance he retires and he intends to play. He might have value to a team with lots of cap space as they can get him cheap and sell for a profit at the deadline. But I don't see a fit with the Bruins at this point unless you take back more problem money off their cap this year and next type of thing.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:23 AM   #422
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
If Lucic was going to retire wouldn't he have to pay back that bonus he's already been paid since he will not have played in the final year of the contract? So really his wage for this year is 4 million and not 1. So it's not like these deals where the total compensation for the final year was 1 million hence the player retiring. The overall compensation is still significant.

If thats the case, no chance he retires and he intends to play. He might have value to a team with lots of cap space as they can get him cheap and sell for a profit at the deadline. But I don't see a fit with the Bruins at this point unless you take back more problem money off their cap this year and next type of thing.
No.

The bonus was to be paid on July 1st 2022. He was paid on that day, and that's done and over.

He's now just owed $1M between now and the end of this contract. If he retires, he forgoes the $1M in salary that he's contractually owed to earn throughout the season...he's not retiring though, so there's no point in discussing it. I'd also be somewhat surprised if he retires after this coming season as well. I'd bet he gets another year with somewhere he wants to be on a cheap salary (Boston? Calgary?)
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:52 AM   #423
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
No.

The bonus was to be paid on July 1st 2022. He was paid on that day, and that's done and over.

He's now just owed $1M between now and the end of this contract. If he retires, he forgoes the $1M in salary that he's contractually owed to earn throughout the season...he's not retiring though, so there's no point in discussing it. I'd also be somewhat surprised if he retires after this coming season as well. I'd bet he gets another year with somewhere he wants to be on a cheap salary (Boston? Calgary?)
They wouldn’t, but there are legal grounds for the Flames to insist on all or a portion of the signing bonus back if Lucic doesn’t play out the season due to retirement.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:55 AM   #424
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why'd the Flames sue for the signing bonus, would be dumb lol
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:56 AM   #425
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
They wouldn’t, but there are legal grounds for the Flames to insist on all or a portion of the signing bonus back if Lucic doesn’t play out the season due to retirement.
It is doubtful they would though because Lucic retiring helps the team and their cap situation immensely and Looch could easily decide to come back and play if it could potentially cost him millions if he didn’t.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:04 AM   #426
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Why'd the Flames sue for the signing bonus, would be dumb lol
…right

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #427
rollie619
Backup Goalie

Exp:

A question was asked earlier in the thread. The flames could agree to mutually terminate the contract, but it's unlikely Looch would agree to that as he would have to clear waivers and I doubt he wants to play in Arizona or Chicago this year.
rollie619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:23 AM   #428
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If Lucic retired would Edmonton get a salary recapture penalty similar to Luongo?

If I'm reading the CBA right, Calgary wouldn't get one since the salary paid and AAV both work out to $18M. Edmonton has paid him $23M but only received $18M in cap hits so they would get a penalty of $5M?
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:27 AM   #429
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltlineFan View Post
If Lucic retired would Edmonton get a salary recapture penalty similar to Luongo?

If I'm reading the CBA right, Calgary wouldn't get one since the salary paid and AAV both work out to $18M. Edmonton has paid him $23M but only received $18M in cap hits so they would get a penalty of $5M?
No, because of his age when he signed the deal
Old 08-15-2022, 11:28 AM   #430
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltlineFan View Post

I do not believe so as the Lucic contract was signed under the CBA where contract term limits were put in place
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 11:29 AM   #431
Jethro Choicebro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
No, because of his age when he signed the deal
Too bad.

That would have been hilarious.
Jethro Choicebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jethro Choicebro For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #432
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Lucic is not a useless player by any means, especially during the playoffs, but with a $5.75M cap hit, he's a luxury we may well not be able to afford.
Good thing his cap hit to us is only $5.25MM then...
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:01 PM   #433
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

So do we think the Lucic rumors were another avenue to get the space for Kadri but once they made the deal with Monahan and Montreal Looch will remain a flame?
Old 08-18-2022, 08:12 PM   #434
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to Leslie, Lucic is pretty pumped about all the moves the team has made.

I don’t think he goes anywhere. I’m happy he’s staying
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 08:37 PM   #435
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
According to Leslie, Lucic is pretty pumped about all the moves the team has made.

I’m glad Looch is staying. He’s valuable to the team in many ways, salary aside.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 08:46 PM   #436
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you watched Treliving’s presser from this evening, you would wager that Looch is definitely staying.

His comments were extremely complimentary and present team related.

Can’t see him being moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2022, 09:00 PM   #437
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Lucic stays, and has a decent year, would consider giving him another year or two at a low number.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 09:01 PM   #438
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
If Lucic stays, and has a decent year, would consider giving him another year or two at a low number.
League minimum if he wanted to perhaps
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sofa GM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 09:08 PM   #439
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post

I want him to stay too. With Gubranson gone we need Lucic. You can't forget Looches intangibles he brings. Kadri may want a little backup when he gets his revenge on Kane for the playoff injury.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:49 PM   #440
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

If Lucic going is the key to another top 6 forward pick up? Then no I don't even think about keeping Lucic. But if the next top 6 forward pick up comes from a trade from our defence at even salaries? Then yeah, I'd love to keep Lucic for what he brings to the dressing room and ice.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote