Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Default Rep. John Lewis dead at 80

https://twitter.com/user/status/1284326141352914944

One of the most important civil rights activists of all time. A legend.

Representative Lewis had been battling pancreatic cancer.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Waiting for Trump tweet.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Statue worthy
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #4
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fare well to a good man.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:15 PM   #5
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bravery beyond words, what it's supposed to mean to be an American
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 01:07 AM   #6
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obama's statement on Lewis' passing. Such eloquent and heartfelt words as always.

https://www.facebook.com/barackobama...749?__tn__=K-R

Quote:
America is a constant work in progress. What gives each new generation purpose is to take up the unfinished work of the last and carry it further - to speak out for what's right, to challenge an unjust status quo, and to imagine a better world.

John Lewis - one of the original Freedom Riders, chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, the youngest speaker at the March on Washington, leader of the march from Selma to Montgomery, Member of Congress representing the people of Georgia for 33 years - not only assumed that responsibility, he made it his life's work.

He loved this country so much that he risked his life and his blood so that it might live up to its promise. And through the decades, he not only gave all of himself to the cause of freedom and justice, but inspired generations that followed to try to live up to his example.

Considering his enormous impact on the history of this country, what always struck those who met John was his gentleness and humility. Born into modest means in the heart of the Jim Crow South, he understood that he was just one of a long line of heroes in the struggle for racial justice. Early on, he embraced the principles of nonviolent resistance and civil disobedience as the means to bring about real change in this country, understanding that such tactics had the power not only to change laws, but to change hearts and minds as well.

In so many ways, John's life was exceptional. But he never believed that what he did was more than any citizen of this country might do. He believed that in all of us, there exists the capacity for great courage, a longing to do what's right, a willingness to love all people, and to extend to them their God-given rights to dignity and respect. And it's because he saw the best in all of us that he will continue, even in his passing, to serve as a beacon in that long journey towards a more perfect union.

I first met John when I was in law school, and I told him then that he was one of my heroes. Years later, when I was elected a U.S. Senator, I told him that I stood on his shoulders. When I was elected President of the United States, I hugged him on the inauguration stand before I was sworn in and told him I was only there because of the sacrifices he made. And through all those years, he never stopped providing wisdom and encouragement to me and Michelle and our family. We will miss him dearly.

It's fitting that the last time John and I shared a public forum was at a virtual town hall with a gathering of young activists who were helping to lead this summer's demonstrations in the wake of George Floyd's death. Afterwards, I spoke to him privately, and he could not have been prouder of their efforts - of a new generation standing up for freedom and equality, a new generation intent on voting and protecting the right to vote, a new generation running for political office.

I told him that all those young people - of every race, from every background and gender and sexual orientation - they were his children. They had learned from his example, even if they didn't know it. They had understood through him what American citizenship requires, even if they had heard of his courage only through history books.

Not many of us get to live to see our own legacy play out in such a meaningful, remarkable way. John Lewis did. And thanks to him, we now all have our marching orders - to keep believing in the possibility of remaking this country we love until it lives up to its full promise.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 02:07 AM   #7
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

100 years from now Lewis will be remembered in close to the same breath as MLK, such an amazing tough man full of purpose his whole life.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #8
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlysports View Post
waiting for trump tweet.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1284509634301251584
Acey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #9
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Loss of a great man, advocate and fighter with an indomitable spirit and no compromise where there should be no compromise.

RIP.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #11
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Around 30 years ago, John Lewis got my family tickets to visit the White House and to take a private tour of the Congress.

My mom had asked our local representative for the tickets, but couldn’t get anything, and was about to give up but called Lewis’ office and he was willing and able to help.

I remember sitting in his office in DC with my parents to get the tickets and a I vaguely remember meeting him. I don’t remember what he said (it was a very brief visit, but that he took the time to meet with us and give us tickets when we weren’t even in his district struck me as being noteworthy), but I do recall him also giving us a few bags of peanuts and cans of coke.

That’s my John Lewis story. It isn’t much, but it has stayed with me for decades. And I really did appreciate the tickets and getting to see the White House.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Electorial reform

https://twitter.com/user/status/1284599933610242049

Some of this is a bit out there, and would not be feasible cost-wise. And a version of this is already sitting on Moscow Mitch's desk. Overall, it's the right idea as voting in the US is insane with the lack of polling stations, voting hours, and the amount of things one has to vote for in one day.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote