Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2020, 12:47 PM   #641
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
So name a player that fits your bill as a replacement in that Kari deal that Treliving could obviously have easily made a deal for. On a team that needed a return that Calgary could do like that one.
I wish I knew what was available at that time but I don’t have the inside info that others on this site have. If kadri was open to coming to yyc and he pulled the plug, then I accept that at face value and it’s bad on kadri for getting cold feet and nixing the deal. Makes treliving look bad from a fan perspective as he’s left holding the bag.

Would Toronto have subbed Kapanen for Kadri? I don’t know but that would have helped the rh shot imbalance.

Again, if a player has trade restrictions that include Calgary that is something from my perspective I’d shy away from as a similar situation like kadri could happen again. I’d focus on players that lack that trade protection and if it means targeting players that haven’t popped yet in their organization and are buried (such as the bracco example), that would be something I would look at.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #642
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This is what I remember hearing as well. He was looking to nix getting traded, not specifically nix Calgary and then a second trade was built that he couldn't nix and off he went.
Yup, that's why the Leafs leaked the deal. Pretty much letting the public know they wanted to trade him but he nixed the deal. The Leafs were moving him no matter what.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #643
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
I wish I knew what was available at that time but I don’t have the inside info that others on this site have. If kadri was open to coming to yyc and he pulled the plug, then I accept that at face value and it’s bad on kadri for getting cold feet and nixing the deal. Makes treliving look bad from a fan perspective as he’s left holding the bag.

Would Toronto have subbed Kapanen for Kadri? I don’t know but that would have helped the rh shot imbalance.

Again, if a player has trade restrictions that include Calgary that is something from my perspective I’d shy away from as a similar situation like kadri could happen again. I’d focus on players that lack that trade protection and if it means targeting players that haven’t popped yet in their organization and are buried (such as the bracco example), that would be something I would look at.
Wonder if Stastny or Hayes had trade protection before being dealt to Winnipeg. I don't begrudge Treliving at all for not letting a NMC stand in the way of attempting to improve the team.

I think a lot of players are amenable to at least discussing going to a team they may have on their NMC list. And as for Trelivin, if he's dismissing players who may have Calgary as a no-trade destination, he's not doing his job. awfully easy for fans who have no idea what the actual conversations were to criticize Treliving after the fact.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #644
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Cold feet? None of the usual insiders have reported that. Some suggested Flames players like Gio called Kadri to try and convince him to waive.

I genuinely believe the teams came to a deal with Treliving convinced he could get Kadri to waive. He didn't because Kadri didn't want to leave Toronto despite the Flames best efforts.

So yes, he targeted a player that didn't want to be here and tried swinging for the fence.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #645
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This season must be incredibly frustrating for Treliving.

He knew the team needed additions. He worked his ass off to get these deals done, but ultimately had them nixed by things out of his control, despite the GMs he was dealing with agreeing to the terms of those deals.

Then Kadri gets dealt to the team that knocked his out in the playoffs in dominating fashion. Plus the leaked failed deal potentially hurts players morale, especially the ones who were headed the other way.

Eventually Zucker is dealt for a much larger return than what he had agreed to.

And now the teams struggles continue.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #646
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Cold feet? None of the usual insiders have reported that. Some suggested Flames players like Gio called Kadri to try and convince him to waive.

I genuinely believe the teams came to a deal with Treliving convinced he could get Kadri to waive. He didn't because Kadri didn't want to leave Toronto despite the Flames best efforts.

So yes, he targeted a player that didn't want to be here and tried swinging for the fence.
https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...rade-to-flames
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:18 PM   #647
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yep. They had a deal in place prior to asking him. He said no. The suggestion earlier was that he said yes but then backed out because of cold feet.

My story seems to line up with your link, no?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #648
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
This season must be incredibly frustrating for Treliving.

He knew the team needed additions. He worked his ass off to get these deals done, but ultimately had them nixed by things out of his control, despite the GMs he was dealing with agreeing to the terms of those deals.

Then Kadri gets dealt to the team that knocked his out in the playoffs in dominating fashion. Plus the leaked failed deal potentially hurts players morale, especially the ones who were headed the other way.

Eventually Zucker is dealt for a much larger return than what he had agreed to.

And now the teams struggles continue.
Agreed. I have a hard time pointing the finger at Treliving. Has he made mistakes? Of course he has. Show me a GM who doesn't have a few blemishes on the record and I'll show you manbearpig.

I tend to think it is only a matter of time before Treliving connects. I would also say his track record that when he does connect. It's going to work out well for the Flames.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #649
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Yep. They had a deal in place prior to asking him. He said no. The suggestion earlier was that he said yes but then backed out because of cold feet.

My story seems to line up with your link, no?
I never said he said yes, I said he was open to the idea before the deal was in place.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote