Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #241
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I honestly don't think Czarnik moves the needle at the NHL level.

It's good he's helping the AHL team, but he was a tweener in Boston, and he's a tweener here. Guys that put up numbers in the AHL at 27 aren't always transferable to the next level.
He was producing and playing very well with the Flames before he got injured. That's what I was getting at. I think he does move the needle a bit more than what we have playing right now.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #242
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
He was producing and playing very well with the Flames before he got injured. That's what I was getting at. I think he does move the needle a bit more than what we have playing right now.
Hard to argue that given the production.

But most of Czarnik's individual rate stats suggest he's 15th to 16th on the team when it comes to creating. If he was bigger and better in his own zone I'd be all for him getting a turn on the third and fourth line, but no way he sees top six ... even with the Flames plugging a player in now that doesn't belong.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #243
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No but I think it is rather obvious LA is not asking nor expecting that price. And if they are, make a deal for something else to help the club. Just do something.
'Just do something'

'His ass needs to be fired'

You're on fire today. Once again, good stuff.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #244
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
“Just do something” is exactly the type of dangerous mentalityy that worries me about mid season deals
I’d rather play the season out and make the right moves this summer with a broader and longer view in mind
Yeah that's me too.

I just don't like this team enough to invest in it as it stands. Honestly part of me wishes Treliving would shock the market and move both Brodie and Hamonic for futures, use some of that to plug the holes, and then look at the core in the summer.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:30 AM   #245
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
'Just do something'

'His ass needs to be fired'

You're on fire today. Once again, good stuff.
Oh look, it is our resident Leafs troll. Slow day for you?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #246
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's me too.

I just don't like this team enough to invest in it as it stands. Honestly part of me wishes Treliving would shock the market and move both Brodie and Hamonic for futures, use some of that to plug the holes, and then look at the core in the summer.
Not sure why, but apart from Gio's Norris nothing about this team (even last year's standings) has excited me since the GG era started. Flames are a wet blanket most nights.

The year Hartley's team made the playoffs, with all the amazing come backs and Johnny carrying the team some nights, win or lose those were some edge of the seat games.

I've started thinking that maybe it was the lowered expectations of rebuilding that made it so easy to support them. The likely re-load that follows this season (unless the results improve dramatically) or even the rebuild that comes after that, is appealing.

You guys are right that the sort of changes this team needs will require a lot of planning, and mid-season is probably not the right time. There will probably be a bunch of other 'good on paper' teams looking to do the same (re-load or even rebuild) so the prospect of hockey trades in the off season looks pretty good.

Last edited by Badgers Nose; 01-19-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #247
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's me too.

I agree with this, the idea of picking up Toffoli for anything significant is absurd. They need to trade for the future and see if the remaining younger players can make the playoffs.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #248
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Not sure why, but apart from Gio's Norris nothing about this team (even last year's standings) has excited me about the Flames since the GG era started. This team is a wet blanket most nights.

The year Hartley's team made the playoffs, with all the amazing come backs and Johnny carrying the team some nights, win or lose those were some edge of the seat games.

I've started thinking that maybe it was the lowered expectations of rebuilding that made it so easy to support them. I'm starting to look forward to the likely re-load that follows this season (unless the results improve dramatically) or even the rebuild that comes after that.

You guys are right that the sort of changes this team needs will require a lot of time and planning, and mid-season is probably not the right time. There will probably be a bunch of other teams looking to do the same so the prospect of hockey trades in the off season looks pretty good.
I think its the lack of a game changing centre that has made the team very dull. The Flames are a team that play like they are missing their #1 centre every game. We just need some game breaking talent.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #249
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Leafs got spanked by Chicago and aren’t even in a playoff spot. If anything they seriously need to make a trade and potentially upgrade their coach as much as us if not more.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #250
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
I think its the lack of a game changing centre that has made the team very dull. The Flames are a team that play like they are missing their #1 centre every game. We just need some game breaking talent.
This is my thought too. The Flames have some nice pieces and decent depth. But without a true star or two they’re not going to make much noise. At the moment they’re in that dreaded middle ground - not good enough to win a Cup and not bad enough to get immediate impact blue chip draft picks. Unfortunately true number one centres are almost never available so I don’t know what they can do. Adding one more decent top 6 player isn’t going to move the needle enough in my opinion.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madmike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #251
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly part of me wishes Treliving would shock the market and move both Brodie and Hamonic for futures, use some of that to plug the holes, and then look at the core in the summer.
If you’re going to do that you may as well move Giordano, Backlund, Ryan, and Stone for maximum return. You don’t dump two top four defensemen and think you’re going to be competitive by plugging holes. None of those players will be around when this team is ready to compete again. If you’re going to throw the towel in, throw in the water bottle and bucket as well and get on with rebuilding. Don’t do things half-assed, commit and get it done.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #252
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Something I battle with though ...

How many fan bases feel differently about their teams? The bottom ten all want and expect change, the Blues are still in the cup honeymoon and having a solid season.

Washington has had a great season, the Bruins ... I'd imagine Pens fans are pretty happy given their injuries.

But Tampa up and down. Toronto up and down.

Are there 15-17 teams in the middle that have fans that feel the same way? Important to try and be level headed about this stuff I suppose.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #253
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So 4-5 weeks ago, you basically said Treliving would be a idiot for trading for Taylor Hall. Today you're saying if he doesn't do something he should be fired.

Fascinating....
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #254
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which is why you make a low cost trade for some offensive help and see if that kick starts things. If it doesn’t then become a seller at the deadline. But something needs to change now, either from inside the organization or from outside. I don’t believe there is any help on the farm, so they have to look elsewhere. They need to get something done. Another lost season is the last thing this team needs. If it gets to that, then I am for cleaning house, and I mean everyone. Scorched earth in the front office, break up the core, fire the concession workers and the greeters. Big changes needed if they can’t right the ship quickly.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #255
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If you’re going to do that you may as well move Giordano, Backlund, Ryan, and Stone for maximum return. You don’t dump two top four defensemen and think you’re going to be competitive by plugging holes. None of those players will be around when this team is ready to compete again. If you’re going to throw the towel in, throw in the water bottle and bucket as well and get on with rebuilding. Don’t do things half-assed, commit and get it done.
I don't see it as throwing the towel in though.

I'm happy to look at moving any one on the roster, but I'd wait until the summer to do so.

There's a macro time line and a micro. The micro is how you feel about this team this year. I don't like it. With that I'd prefer not to spend futures adding to it, but that's not to say you need to move guys with term in January when the market for those things come in June.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #256
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Which is why you make a low cost trade for some offensive help and see if that kick starts things. If it doesn’t then become a seller at the deadline. But something needs to change now, either from inside the organization or from outside. I don’t believe there is any help on the farm, so they have to look elsewhere. They need to get something done. Another lost season is the last thing this team needs. If it gets to that, then I am for cleaning house, and I mean everyone. Scorched earth in the front office, break up the core, fire the concession workers and the greeters. Big changes needed if they can’t right the ship quickly.
He wouldn't have freed up cap space if he didn't see something coming, and likely in the top six.

This isn't us figuring something out and Treliving just arriving at it now.

It's a matter of costs on targets and what trigger he pulls.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #257
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the amount of revenue generated for the city and team for even one playoff round, I think those of you wishing the Flames would be sellers are in for a disappointment.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #258
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
So 4-5 weeks ago, you basically said Treliving would be a idiot for trading for Taylor Hall. Today you're saying if he doesn't do something he should be fired.

Fascinating....
You do realize there is a difference between getting Hall and making any other deal right? The two are not exclusive lol. Cast your line again if you like, I have nothing better to do.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #259
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's me too.

Generally agreed, though part of me worries about moving on from Brodie. I think he'll be missed and if there's a real chance of re-signing him - I would keep him and try to do that.
I think assessing dmen is always tough, and I don't pretend to be great at that, but Hamonic is not someone who seems to be making this team better, and I'd definitely look to move him. I'd also like to see what Hanifin does with a different partner.

Hamonic I'd move for whatever you can get
Brodie I'd move if the value returned is enough to make it worth it.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #260
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
With the amount of revenue generated for the city and team for even one playoff round, I think those of you wishing the Flames would be sellers are in for a disappointment.
For sure, and I'm even fine with it.

There are more than enough examples of teams getting hot at the right time and doing more than expected. There is some logic with just making the "tournament" as Treliving says.

But maybe don't add to the problem by moving futures for an unlikely event.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: