Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #81
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Let's hire everyone who is fired"

Vegas has a solid roster...at least as good as Calgary and they have done worse
Old 01-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #82
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Except Rick Bowness doesn't want to be a head coach, he's an *actual* interim coach, whereas Ward wants to be a head coach and his interim title has more to do with the Team than what Coach wants.
Where are you getting this information? You know what both Ward and Bowness want?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #83
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you're looking at it the wrong way here.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a 'name'. On one hand it just has to be a body, because now Gelinas is down on the bench instead of the eye in the sky. They lost a coaching body and I don't think have replaced it (i'm not sure about that). That says to me, whether a name was available or not, the Flames didn't have anyone even as a candidate in a process.

For instance, this announcement isn't that Gallant has been fired. It's that him and another coach have been fired because the Knights have already hired his replacement. Nothing ambiguous about it, the Knights were actively recruiting DeBoer before this.

The Flames I don't think had any such intention which is why Ward is still the interim guy, and the flames are paying him more to be head coach.

So even if Toe Blake or Scotty Bowman were available, the Flames wouldn't be in that market, presumably because they don't want to pay the cost for a top tier coach anyway. So whether DeBoer/Gallant/Laviolette were available or not, the Flames weren't going to be crossing that bridge I don't think. In fact, I think if the peters allegations hadn't come out, they would've let Peters coach out the year even if the team was in danger of missing the playoffs.

That's just how things have rolled previously.
Different circumstances for sure. Flames were forced to make a change. Vegas decided to make a change - so of course they were going to have a guy lined up.

And agree I think that they would have likely given Peters the season, and I would have been okay with that.

Quote:
Except Rick Bowness doesn't want to be a head coach, he's an *actual* interim coach, whereas Ward wants to be a head coach and his interim title has more to do with the Team than what Coach wants.
I disagree about this though.

Bowness was talking about how he has interviewed for head coach jobs in recent seasons but hasn't been giving the opportunity since 15 years ago in Phoenix. And how he's so grateful for the opporunity to be head coach again.

Much like the Flames I don't think the Stars have brought in another coach yet either. Both these teams were forced to make a move they didn't want to make and now they are just assessing what they have here.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #84
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gallant and Laviolette are two excellent coaches who are now available, in a situation where there's quite a few interim coaches, and coaches on the hot seat. There will be a bidding war by those teams plus Seattle is in the mix.

I think this is a pretty crappy move by Vegas tbh. Gallant has a great record there, took the team to the finals, and lost the next year in round one on a bad call. They are in the mix this year, and would be probably easily in the POs if they had a better backup goalie and had Tuch and Schmidt the entire year (though injuries happen). Is Vegas trying to get a "new coach" bump?

I'm also surprised that it's DeBoer. If they'd hired Laviolette the move makes more sense.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #85
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

It's possible they believe DeBoer is an upgrade.

Just because the Flames sit on their hands doesn't mean other teams will, or should. I'd bet this works out for VGK, just like their expansion draft did when all the "experts" said they were tanking.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #86
Scooter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Babcock

[QUOTE=Erick Estrada;7339340]Also maybe noteworthy that Babcock hasn't been an option for several teams now that have replaced their coach since he was fired by the Leafs. Wasn't long ago there was a bidding war for his services. I expect teams are going to want to wait until the offseason at least to see if the smoke has cleared around him.[/QUOTE

Babcock's salary is probably the main reason he has not been re-
hired and plus the fact he needs a release from the Leafs.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #87
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post

Thanks, and yup, blown call on that play. I forgot about this.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #88
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

That's irrelevant.

The question is, would a guy like Gallant or Laviolette be better for us?

IMO, yes.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #89
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think the key with Gallant is that this season's struggles look to be very much shooting percentage and save percentage based. Not something where he's "lost" the team or not getting them to play a complete style of play anymore.

Looking at the big picture here's Gallant's performance in Vegas with an expansion team.

118-75-20
Point %: .601 (9th)
Goals For: 662 (10th)
Goals Agasint: 602 (10th)

GF%: 52.37 (8th)
CF%: 53.12 (2nd)
HDCF%: 52.86 (7th)
xGF%: 53.5% (2nd)

Shooting Percentage: 9.23 (17th)
Save Percentage: .906 (16th)

Top 10 results while not getting top 10 shooting percentage or goaltending. That's pretty strong for a coach if you ask me.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 10:45 AM   #90
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hasn't it been like -30 something the last few days in Calgary? Probably not a good week to try to entice someone to move there...
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #91
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Different circumstances for sure. Flames were forced to make a change. Vegas decided to make a change - so of course they were going to have a guy lined up.

And agree I think that they would have likely given Peters the season, and I would have been okay with that.

I disagree about this though.

Bowness was talking about how he has interviewed for head coach jobs in recent seasons but hasn't been giving the opportunity since 15 years ago in Phoenix. And how he's so grateful for the opporunity to be head coach again.

Much like the Flames I don't think the Stars have brought in another coach yet either. Both these teams were forced to make a move they didn't want to make and now they are just assessing what they have here.
I'm sure Bowness is very happy being a head coach, but what I've heard for years is that he enjoys being part of a coaching staff and working with the players. Maybe that's saying all the right things in one or both situations, maybe in his heart Bowness really does want to be a head coach, but I don't think any team in the league is seriously considering him for that role and he must realize that by now if he hasn't gotten a shot as a head coach in 15 years until the interim role now.

I'm happy for him though, players all seem to love Rick Bowness which might be one reason the Stars are performing for him right now.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #92
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
Hasn't it been like -30 something the last few days in Calgary? Probably not a good week to try to entice someone to move there...
Yeah but a hockey coach is a like a race horse. If the race horse ain't racing, he gets antsy.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #93
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there a taxi involved in this firing?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #94
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure Bowness is very happy being a head coach, but what I've heard for years is that he enjoys being part of a coaching staff and working with the players. Maybe that's saying all the right things in one or both situations, maybe in his heart Bowness really does want to be a head coach, but I don't think any team in the league is seriously considering him for that role and he must realize that by now if he hasn't gotten a shot as a head coach in 15 years until the interim role now.

I'm happy for him though, players all seem to love Rick Bowness which might be one reason the Stars are performing for him right now.
The point was more about how is that any different then Geoff Ward?

Guy has been an assistant coach for 14 years in the NHL now, has never really been out there as a guy who's politicking for a head coach job, and seemed 100% content to just be an assistant here prior to the Peters incident.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about what the Flames leadership team and coaching staff want to do and their plan for this year.

Fact of the matter is at the time of the Peters incident there really were no clear names that were more qualified than Ward to step into an interim role, and no names the Flames should have rushed out to hire.

That's changed since then and their are now some great proven NHL coaches out there, but from all accounts Ward ha also done a really good job in that place.

Those are the only facts we really know from this. Personally I would love for the Flames to go out and get Gallant (or Boudreau if he becomes available as rumors may suggest) but I'm going to fault them for putting Ward in the interim role when they did - these coaches weren't available then.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-15-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #95
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Was there a taxi involved in this firing?

I bet there was, and I bet you the Vegas taxi took him the “fast way” too. God I hate Vegas taxis
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:53 AM   #96
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Where are you getting this information? You know what both Ward and Bowness want?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
I was wondering the same. I have never seen it mentioned what Ward wants to do. He seems to have been an assistant/associate for so long I was wondering if he was content in that role. I wondered if this is his big break to finally be a head coach and build from there, or is he willing to take over for the end of the season or when the Flames find a new coach - whichever comes first. We just don't know.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #97
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
It's possible they believe DeBoer is an upgrade.

Just because the Flames sit on their hands doesn't mean other teams will, or should. I'd bet this works out for VGK, just like their expansion draft did when all the "experts" said they were tanking.
Flames have gained 10+ points on Vegas since Ward came in...I think he has earned a shot at the rest of the season. It's hardly sitting on their hands.

Can't just pass around the same coaches forever... everyone is a new coach at some point.

Have your opinion but I will disagree

As for Tre...geography has been holding back his big moves. Funny how the great GMs usually work for teams in the south.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #98
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a weird move. Vegas is a team that was very dependent on how Fleury is doing. I don't think that there is a coincidence that their struggles are linked to him not playing well. His GAA has gone up a full goal compared to November. His SV% since December is .879.

I guess a new coach could help Fleury get back to his old self, but DeBoer didn't have much luck with Jones.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:04 AM   #99
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, what a weird move, has to be a personality conflict as his record speaks for itself. Sure feel like his system turned some cast offs into a very good team. Treliving should definitely be talking to him.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #100
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Then Brad needs to ask himself whether the Flames' play has actually gotten better since Peters was fired or if the bounces are finally going our way.

I don't see a significant jump in performance. And consistency has never been worse.
It's been a little smoke and mirrors as Darren Haynes has an article today about how to improve the Flames and since Ward took over and you can argue the win/loss record is a little flattering when you consider the Flames are giving up the 5th most shots in the league and the recent 5 game winning streak consisted of winning every game by a single goal. I do think the team has been a little better under Ward but they are still a trainwreck defensively, are nearing team record pace for getting shut out in a season, and Gaudreau and Monahan have yet to get back on track. I'm all for giving him the rest of the season but if the team's overall play overall doesn't get any better than this then I don't think he's done a good enough job to be handed the permanent title without interviewing other candidates.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: