Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #2481
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Any good Vegas golf suggestions. Heading down in march. Would like to hit up a couple courses in the under 150 price range.

Not sure about the prices as I will play under that price as a local pretty each anywhere.

Avoid Rhodes Ranch atm. They are doing some major hole changes on the front nine. The Revere course are pretty challenging and a tad gimicky but for some reason I still had fun on them. Wolf course @ Paiute is a good staple, and Bears best is decent. Lots of beautiful houses to gawk at. Angel Park is good value or since it’s in the same area TPC LV could work too.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 05:00 AM   #2482
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Paiute has a decent deal for 36 holes, somewhere around $250US for 2 rounds and lunch. All 3 are nice tracks, the Wolf is the toughest. However, if you don’t have a vehicle, it is a bit costly to get out there ($80-90 each way in an Uber).

I always enjoy Bali Hai, especially if time is a concern. Rounds are about $180, but it’s just past Mandelay Bay, so you will save some cash on an Uber/taxi, if that’s the way to go. And you’ll be back at the hotel in 5 hours.

Avoid Las Vegas National. Great history, good breakfast (with $2 martini add-ones!), but the course has not been maintained, and is not a good value at all.

Last edited by Voodooman; 01-27-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #2483
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, got my bucket list golf trip to Scotland mostly booked. 5 or 6 rounds over 10 days is the plan.

Heading to Inverness area first.
- Boat of Garten (warm up round)
- Royal Dornoch
- Castle Stuart

Then head over to St Andrews.
- missed out on public ballot for the old course but have leveraged entry on the members daily ballot for a couple days.
- tee time booked at the castle course
- One more tee time maybe pending how we feel or if we get on the old course

Can’t wait!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #2484
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Well, got my bucket list golf trip to Scotland mostly booked. 5 or 6 rounds over 10 days is the plan.

- Royal Dornoch
- Castle Stuart

- missed out on public ballot for the old course but have leveraged entry on the members daily ballot for a couple days.

Can’t wait!
When you going Weitz?

I've got 14 days in St Andrews in June. Going to buy the weekly pass and play at least once a day. Done the Old Course a few times but never the Castle so pretty excited to see what its all about. The reviews are great.

I'm biased but the town itself is the best place in the world.

Dornoch is a beast. Your index should jump a point by the time you hit St Andrews.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #2485
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For those of you that have used it. Is golfavenue the best website right now for not paying an arm and a leg for new clubs? I am looking for a new putter and wondering how the "Like New" really does.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:29 PM   #2486
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
When you going Weitz?

I've got 14 days in St Andrews in June. Going to buy the weekly pass and play at least once a day. Done the Old Course a few times but never the Castle so pretty excited to see what its all about. The reviews are great.

I'm biased but the town itself is the best place in the world.

Dornoch is a beast. Your index should jump a point by the time you hit St Andrews.
We’re going in Mid-May.

Why spend 2 weeks in St. Andrews?? I’m having a hard enough time booking 3 days in the area to be honest.

If I had to wager we will likely play Castle and the old course. Then either glen eagles or gullane. I’d like to slide elsewhere but I don’t want to drive too much. (Has a good planning session tonight since my Last post)

Last edited by Weitz; 02-06-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #2487
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
We’re going in Mid-May.

Why spend 2 weeks in St. Andrews?? I’m having a hard enough time booking 3 days in the area to be honest.

If I had to wager we will likely play Castle and the old course. Then either glen eagles or gullane. I’d like to slide elsewhere but I don’t want to drive too much. (Has a good planning session tonight since my Last post)
I've been going to St Andrews / Elie for 2 weeks every summer since I was a boy. Could happily just wake up every day and walk to the starters box, play 18 then spend the rest of the day in any one of the pubs in the old town.

If going as a tourist you could consider Muirfield as that would make for an easy night out in Edinburgh afterwards.

Loch Lomond GC is spectacular but about 90 mins drive from the east coast.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #2488
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's fair. I'm thinking as a tourist there is so many courses I wanted to play all over Scotland, but I would like to limit travel as much as possible.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #2489
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
For those of you that have used it. Is golfavenue the best website right now for not paying an arm and a leg for new clubs? I am looking for a new putter and wondering how the "Like New" really does.
Golfavenue sells new old stock and used clubs.

I've used them when looking for a very specific club that I don't want used.

I bought new irons this year through my Club Pro Guy, because I wanted some different specs. My current set was 10 years old.

Otherwise I buy almost all my gear off GolfWRX classifieds or eBay.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #2490
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
We’re going in Mid-May.

Check out the Balcomie Links at Crail. Old school cool experience - not far from St Andrews
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:36 PM   #2491
gonzo29
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

- Royal Dornoch
- Castle Stuart

Can’t wait!
Royal Dornoch is, in my opinion, the best golf course in Scotland. Have a blast man.
gonzo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gonzo29 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 10:51 PM   #2492
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Golf is thankfully one of the activities that is extremely pandemic friendly with all the open space and small groups. Switch up the end of the round handshake with the elbow bump or foot shake and it's all good.

But while that's all good for the everyday hacker and weekend warriors, for the pros like like any big event people are worried, and I really, really got a good laugh out of this tweet.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1235310608410718216
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #2493
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Golf is thankfully one of the activities that is extremely pandemic friendly with all the open space and small groups. Switch up the end of the round handshake with the elbow bump or foot shake and it's all good.
I really hope you are right. One NBA player got it and the whole league shuts down. This wouldn't have happened 10 years ago but this is what we are dealing with now.

I don't think the golf season will be cancelled. But I wouldn't be surprised if one golfer is confirmed then the several group of players before and after that person will need to be self-isolated this sort of thing.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #2494
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

last night they said they were going to finish the Players Championship with no public at the course. today they shut down the tournament, + for the next 3 weeks.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:27 PM   #2495
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1120886301366947840
Old 03-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #2496
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I really hope you are right. One NBA player got it and the whole league shuts down. This wouldn't have happened 10 years ago but this is what we are dealing with now.

I don't think the golf season will be cancelled. But I wouldn't be surprised if one golfer is confirmed then the several group of players before and after that person will need to be self-isolated this sort of thing.

It'll definitely be the concern.

Right now looking at courses around the States and on the coast, pulling all accessories is the first step for reducing potential risk (no coolers, no bunker rakes, no ballwashers, some courses even no flagsticks). The courses that have kept handcarts and ride-on carts have pretty strict disinfection standards but the courses that don't need them have been stopping them altogether unless you have your own.

Hopefully the no coolers and ballwashers thing stays, such a waste of maintenance time (and coolers have always been a health risk independent of coronavirus).

It won't be good for golf courses with the loss of cart rentals and F+B operations (and their core demographic being the most deterred by going out because of this), but still the potential for golf for people. The optimistic outlook is that it will get some people used to a more sustainable golf model. Though it will likely mean the death blow to courses that were already only just hanging on.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #2497
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hopefully the no coolers and ballwashers thing stays, such a waste of maintenance time (and coolers have always been a health risk independent of coronavirus).
Thanks, Roughneck. Where did you find out the measures the US courses are taking?
Old 03-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #2498
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It'll definitely be the concern.

It won't be good for golf courses with the loss of cart rentals and F+B operations (and their core demographic being the most deterred by going out because of this), but still the potential for golf for people. The optimistic outlook is that it will get some people used to a more sustainable golf model. Though it will likely mean the death blow to courses that were already only just hanging on.
Its the right thing for now but walking 18 holes on a humid 95 degree day without water will kill your faster than a disease. When I play in the summer here, I typically start with a Gatorade bottle and refill it at least 7-8 times during a round and still am a bit dehydrated. It would be tough to bring enough water around the course to stay safe in summer in warmer states.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:18 AM   #2499
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Its the right thing for now but walking 18 holes on a humid 95 degree day without water will kill your faster than a disease. When I play in the summer here, I typically start with a Gatorade bottle and refill it at least 7-8 times during a round and still am a bit dehydrated. It would be tough to bring enough water around the course to stay safe in summer in warmer states.
Most of our summer days are mild in comparison so walking 18 holes. I really hope the courses won't be too cautious. Golf is the best sports in this environment and with a little non-invasive measures, golfers can still enjoy the game.

Nobody wants to be cooped up in a house in the summer and golfing is better than going to the pubs or things like that.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #2500
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Just drink American beer as a substitute

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow