Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-15-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Medical assistance in dying (MAID)

A review of the MAID law is under way and the Goevernment is asking for responses from the general public.

Since MAID has been legalized, more than 6,700 Canadians who were suffering unbearably chose to die peacefully with the help of a physician or nurse practitioner. Over the past four years, our health care systems have become more familiar and comfortable with providing MAID, and Canadians have also learned a lot about circumstances where MAID is not allowed.
As we prepare to launch the full review of the MAID law this summer, the Government of Canada is moving quickly in the shorter term to help inform our response to the recent Quebec court ruling. Updating Canada’s MAID law will expand eligibility for MAID beyond people who are nearing the end of life, and could possibly result in other changes once the review is complete. This questionnaire offers Canadians the opportunity to share their views with the Government of Canada on this deeply personal and very important issue.

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cons/ad-am/index.html
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 07:00 AM   #2
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went through this with my Dad a few months ago. He had pancreatic cancer, which made for a pretty cut and try approval process. I think the questions 1 and 2 on the last page are the key ones. I know he felt a lot of pressure to make sure he did it before it was too late. ie, if something happened to reduce his mental capacity or he had to take opiods for paid, he'd be ineligible and that seems like an unfair pressure to put on someone in that position. In his case, I don't think it ended up changing the timeline significantly, but definitely did give him thoughts to do it earlier than he did which would have cost him a few good days we had in between.

It's a very different experience for anyone who hasn't been through it before. Living in the US, I didn't even know about the law until my parent brought it up when my Dad got sick last year. I don't know that anything in my life prepared me for sitting around all day with my Dad waiting for the injection that day. It actually ended up being a pretty peaceful day though. The 6 months from when he got sick until that day were the much harder days. I think it was great for both he and for my mom he was able to go on his own terms, and think it is really great that Canada allows that.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 07:07 AM   #3
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

The questions on page 2 are very poorly formed and confusing. I imagine a lot of people would answer them thinking they meant the opposite. From my experience, the safeguards seem very adequate, and the things they are suggesting would just more burden on people and families at a time they really don't need that.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #4
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you off yourself if you're just old and bored in Canada? Like if I'm stuck in a seniors looney bin with a nurse wiping my butt and a roommate talking to the walls, can I call a family meeting and have everyone watch me enjoy the sweet release of death?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:14 AM   #5
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Can you off yourself if you're just old and bored in Canada? Like if I'm stuck in a seniors looney bin with a nurse wiping my butt and a roommate talking to the walls, can I call a family meeting and have everyone watch me enjoy the sweet release of death?

Sort of?

My grandmother opted for medically assisted dying at the age of 92. She was in constant pain and her body was done, but not quite done. She couldn’t bear with living any longer.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did anyone ever catch the special on PBS, probably ten years ago or so, about a group of people in the USA who "coach" people in how to kill themselves in such a situation? Their method is completely painless and inexpensive. The whole special was really interesting.

Still, I dont think it's common knowledge, and most people either suffer, or choose much worse ways to perform the act.

I think it's great Canada has, partially at least, legalized it.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Currently under Canadian law, you cannot say in a Personal Directive (living will) that you would be in favor or MAID in the future. This is a decision you can only make at the relevant time, assuming you are competent then and meet all the other criteria. Often though, people are not competent when they meet all the other criteria. I think the law will evolve in this direction, so you can direct MAID in the future.

Eligibility criteria:
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...-dying.html#a2

Quote:
In order to be eligible for medical assistance in dying, you must meet all of the following criteria. You must:
  • be eligible for health services funded by the federal government, or a province or territory (or during the applicable minimum period of residence or waiting period for eligibility)
    • generally, visitors to Canada are not eligible for medical assistance in dying
  • be at least 18 years old and mentally competent. This means being capable of making health care decisions for yourself.
  • have a grievous and irremediable medical condition
  • make a voluntary request for medical assistance in dying that is not the result of outside pressure or influence
  • give informed consent to receive medical assistance in dying

Last edited by troutman; 01-15-2020 at 11:01 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: