Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #541
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those look counterfeit.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:07 PM   #542
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

People are trash on Kijiji. I literally replied a minute after their message saying it's mine and they went and gave it away on me because they don't know how to operate within their own time crunch. SMH.

Edit - was my reply too snarky or the perfect level of snark?

Last edited by Reneeee; 04-25-2020 at 08:26 PM. Reason: New msgs
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reneeee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #543
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So whats the scam here?:

Trying to sell a bed frame on Kijiji, have it listed for $150. Guy texts me right after posting and says he'll take it. Guy says he is out of town so he'll have his 'movers' pick it up (already right here I know it's gonna be a scam). Asks for my email address and full name so he can send me the money. I give him my email address (which is pretty much my name), and what does he do instead of a simple etransfer? He sends me a PDF version of a cheque in the amount of $350, that he tells me to print off, then mobile deposit on my phone. Obviously I told him to F off.

So all in all here, whats the scam? If I mobile deposited this cheque, I'm sure I'd just get in trouble from the bank, and I'm not sure he would have anything to take money from me. Also, it didn't seem like he had anyone lined up to pick up the bed frame, so I'm not sure what the deal was here?
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #544
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

He would likely just ask you to send him $200 back because he over paid you..$350 for a $150 item.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #545
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He'll try to pressure you to send him the difference before the cheque clears.
ZedMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #546
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Then cancel the cheque, and you are out all the money.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #547
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Off the top of my head, its just a loser who needs a bed frame and doesn't want to pay for it.

If someone is stupid enough to print off a pdf of a cheque and mobile deposit it, the scam would probably work. I think the mobile deposit would work right away, you would see the money in your account and give him the frame. A month or so later when the bank has audited or processed the cheque, it would get flagged, and you would have given your frame away for free.

EDIT: Yeah I guess he could try and ask you to send the difference, which would be more of a classic scam. It just makes me wonder who the biggest moron is in these cases, the guy trying it, or the suckers that fall for it.

Printing off a pdf cheque is a giant red flag, but then over paying and asking for money back introduces another giant red flag. I guess they're all hail marys but asking for money back is breaching Nigerian prince territory.

Last edited by sa226; 08-18-2020 at 11:07 AM.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #548
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should have a sacrifice accounts set up and see if you catch the same scammers.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #549
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I guess that makes sense.

you really have to wonder what the scammers success rate is on some of these things..
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #550
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
I guess that makes sense.

you really have to wonder what the scammers success rate is on some of these things..
As long as it's one a day, you are making good money. Keep the amount small enough that you don't seem worth pursuing, and it probably works out OK for them.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:14 PM   #551
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't you report something like that to the bank the cheque is drawn from? I'm sure they don't appreciate being used in a scam like this...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #552
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Besides, I think the correct response is to send him a pdf of your bed, ask him to print it off, and then send him a pdf of a nightstand as well.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #553
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Can't you report something like that to the bank the cheque is drawn from? I'm sure they don't appreciate being used in a scam like this...
I'm actually curious what this pdf cheque would look like. I assume they have photoshopped one that doesn't use their real name, or anything that can be traced back.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #554
zztim81
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
So whats the scam here?:

Trying to sell a bed frame on Kijiji, have it listed for $150. Guy texts me right after posting and says he'll take it. Guy says he is out of town so he'll have his 'movers' pick it up (already right here I know it's gonna be a scam). Asks for my email address and full name so he can send me the money. I give him my email address (which is pretty much my name), and what does he do instead of a simple etransfer? He sends me a PDF version of a cheque in the amount of $350, that he tells me to print off, then mobile deposit on my phone. Obviously I told him to F off.

So all in all here, whats the scam? If I mobile deposited this cheque, I'm sure I'd just get in trouble from the bank, and I'm not sure he would have anything to take money from me. Also, it didn't seem like he had anyone lined up to pick up the bed frame, so I'm not sure what the deal was here?
I had this happen to a friend of mine, everything actually sounded legit until he had a check mailed to him in a different name and higher amount. They didnt ask for the balance or any money back, but instead were trying to get his bank account information. They wanted him to screenshot the deposit and send it to them through email to "confirm". Its identity fraud, and they get as much info as they need to clean your accounts out. The RCMP and bank both said this is a very common scam and they get reports of something similar all the time.
zztim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zztim81 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #555
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For me Kijiji is cash only and in person, if it’s anything else I go to Ebay, where there are more buyers and buyers pay a lot more money.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 08-18-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #556
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Facebook Marketplace has been better for me than Kijiji. A lot better. But still get ghosted and stood up occasionally. But also found some really great people. Then again I just had a great weekend with selling high demand stuff: bike, two kinds PFD's, 26" mountain bike tires. Now for old pet things...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:52 PM   #557
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been using FB Marketplace almost exclusively alongside the occasional CP post. I've had mostly good experiences, except for high-demand, high-exposure items like Apple products where people lowball the hell out of you and get angry when you don't sell to them amongst the dozens and dozens of messages you receive.

For that kind of stuff I'll use Ebay from now on. The problem I have with Ebay in general is that you lose a pretty big chunk of your final sale price between all the fees and cuts Ebay and Paypal take. But it's a hell of a lot easier for things you know will sell, you just package it up and send it on its way without having to deal with all the stress of local sales.

I pretty much don't use Kijiji or Craigslist at all anymore.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #558
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kijiji doesn’t compare to Facebook marketplace these days. Listed my motorcycle on both, zero hits on kijiji over 3 weeks, a few hundred views. FB marketplace was where all the action was, thousands of views, plenty of inquiries. Sold for asking price and all it took was a little patience.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #559
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

This is a sad realization for me as I am always cruising Kijiji for deals on things. I have nothing to sell though so I have no idea what that’s like. I just put free curb stuff on Kijiji and it’s always gone within hours.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #560
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah Facebook has been better for me though some more obscure stuff seems to do better on Kijiji

The worst so far is the constant people that are ready to buy it and then "Oh you're in Chestermere I didn't know"