Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #81
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

He looked so bad last year. I would take him for under a mil lol but even then yikes
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #82
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Ducks would be better off signing Knucklepuck Kenan Thompson over Corey Perry.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #83
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Greasers should pick him up and put him on a line with Lucic
Old 06-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #84
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Yes, so he gets 2/3 of his remaining salary. He doesn't get as much as originally promised. Unless I'm missing something here?
You are. You can't buy out bonus money and Corey had a lockout protection signing bonus for the 2020-2021 season. If he played for the ducks for the last two years of his contract he'd make 12M, as a result of the buyout the ducks will instead be paying him (real dollars)... 11M. If Corey Perry plays the next two years at league minimum he'll make more money then he would have had he not been bought out.

Corey Perry is an ass but he's an ass with a good agent.

Edit: https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-c...or/corey-perry
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #85
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Perry signed to a 1 year 1 million dollar contract. It is a low risk, medium/high reward signing. If he can get us 15/20 goals playing on the third/fourth line, it gives us more depth scoring.

The number of 4th liners who score 15/20 goals in the NHL is as follows:

Johnny No Such Person

If he could get that many goals with limited minutes and no PP time, he’d likely be good for 40 playing on the first line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #86
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
You are. You can't buy out bonus money and Corey had a lockout protection signing bonus for the 2020-2021 season. If he played for the ducks for the last two years of his contract he'd make 12M, as a result of the buyout the ducks will instead be paying him (real dollars)... 11M. If Corey Perry plays the next two years at league minimum he'll make more money then he would have had he not been bought out.

Corey Perry is an ass but he's an ass with a good agent.

Edit: https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-c...or/corey-perry
Not quite.

Including the signing bonus, Perry was going to make $15 million if the Ducks kept the contract.

After the buyout he is going to make $11 million including the signing bonus.

So Perry lost $4 million in the buyout.

Maybe Perry and his agent feel comfortable that they are going to get most if not all of that $4 million back in the next contract or Perry is comfortable in losing some of that money to choose where he plays.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #87
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Not quite.

Including the signing bonus, Perry was going to make $15 million if the Ducks kept the contract.

After the buyout he is going to make $11 million including the signing bonus.

So Perry lost $4 million in the buyout.

Maybe Perry and his agent feel comfortable that they are going to get most if not all of that $4 million back in the next contract or Perry is comfortable in losing some of that money to choose where he plays.
Okay, but it was my understanding that buyouts were not subject to Escrow, so he'd be losing that $4M less what he'd have had to put into Escrow on the full $15M.

Escrow is what, 15%? So $2.25M?

So really, is he not only losing $1.75M?

I mean, give or take and ignoring taxes from getting the lump sum all at once and its back-of-the-napkin stuff, but Perry isnt taking a terrible bath here or anything, at least if my understanding is correct.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #88
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Not quite.

D'oh. You're right, I read that wrong. He's going to make 73% of what he otherwise would (I'm not sure how escrow figures into that if at all).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #89
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Perry is going to retire unless a contending team in the SW states offers him a good opportunity or good money. Vegas or SJ on a cheap one year deal or the Coyotes on a more expensive deal. I heard on the fan yesterday he loves SoCal and doesn’t want to be elsewhere.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #90
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I'm actually surprised Perry chose to only give the Ducks 5 teams to go to. Why throw away 1/3rd of your millionaire salary just to be picky where you go? I find it hard to believe a player would rather be bought out and lose that guaranteed salary, then suck it up and get the full salary elsewhere.

There must be some kind of backdoor/secret handshake deal his agent has with a team elsewhere to make up for it during UFA period. It's not like his contract was front loaded either. He genuinely lost a ton of money.
He only gave up $4 million. I think he can make more in the next 3 years
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #91
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Sounds like the description of James Neal from last summer...
Difference is Corey Perry can still hold onto the puck to create time and space for his linemates while Neal handles the puck like a grenade. He already can't skate well, so at the very least he should be able to use his big frame to protect the puck, but he doens't have that ability either. That's why he ends up turning the puck over, or killing plays or rushing his shot that ends up being a muffin.

Also doesn't help that Neal makes $5.75M per season. The value for production per minute might be the worst in the entire NHL whereas Perry would at least come cheap.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #92
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The number of 4th liners who score 15/20 goals in the NHL is as follows:

Johnny No Such Person

If he could get that many goals with limited minutes and no PP time, he’d likely be good for 40 playing on the first line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hathaway had 11 goals last year playing a 4th line role with no PP time.
Derek Ryan was a 3rd/4th line player and is around a 13-15 goal scorer with some PP time.

If Perry signs, he would potentially be playing on the PP on top of his 3rd/4th line minutes. Calgary didn't have the best second Power play unit last year, so we can definitely use added scoring. I'm not saying he gets 15/20 goals, but I'm saying he definitely can.

Last year was an abysmal season for Perry, and he still had a 15 goal pace in an injury shortened season.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote