Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2019, 12:20 AM   #41
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think there’s absolutely a way. Several maybe.

Neal was bad, but it was one bad year. I’m sure there are teams out there that think it’s an anomaly and teams out there that need to get to the cap floor.

I’m not yet convinced it’s a garbage out/garbage in scenario. I think the value is low, but I think he has value. One more season like last? Then yeah, we’d be screwed. Best to move on from him now.
Do you remember when I asked you “ If a team offered the flames a conditional 7th round draft pick for James Neal, would you take it? ”

...and you said...

Quote:
Absolutely not. He’s had a rough start, but his career to date makes me believe he’ll turn it around.
Would your answer still be the same now?

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...169131&page=41
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:37 AM   #42
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Do you remember when I asked you “ If a team offered the flames a conditional 7th round draft pick for James Neal, would you take it? ”

...and you said...

Would your answer still be the same now?

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...169131&page=41
Do I remember what you asked me 7 months ago? No, so thanks for having it ready. Would I take the conditional 7th now? Probably. I still think there’s a good chance Neal bounces back, but I have no problem moving on from the player after a full season of work (as opposed to a month and a half).

Would I touch this hot turd of a proposal with a 100 foot pole?:
Quote:
To Flames: 7th round draft pick

To <Team>: Neal, Kylington, 2nd Round pick
lol. Still no.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 AM   #43
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Do I remember what you asked me 7 months ago? No, so thanks for having it ready. Would I take the conditional 7th now? Probably. I still think there’s a good chance Neal bounces back, but I have no problem moving on from the player after a full season of work (as opposed to a month and a half).

Would I touch this hot turd of a proposal with a 100 foot pole?:

lol. Still no.
Post a link to that quote...It wasn’t a proposal, it was a stake in the sand to see if we could figure out where the consensus of trade value was. As I stated in the thread.

Look, i understand it’s uncomfortable when your opinions are proven wrong...but to selectively quote somebody else to pettifog the situation...well, that’s just disappointing.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:13 AM   #44
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Post a link to that quote...It wasn’t a proposal, it was a stake in the sand to see if we could figure out where the consensus of trade value was. As I stated in the thread.

Look, i understand it’s uncomfortable when your opinions are proven wrong...but to selectively quote somebody else to pettifog the situation...well, that’s just disappointing.
Proven wrong? How? People change their minds over 7 months, that’s most of the season and the playoffs. There was nothing to be “wrong” about (unless you mean my hope that Neal would turn it around, which was absolutely wrong). But if you put me right back there 7 months ago I would have said the same thing: absolutely not. You never know.

The “link” to that quote is right there beside your name, little red button. Same thread you just quoted. Call it a proposal or a stake in the sand, point being, where you put that stake was embarrassingly bad even as a starting point. It’s brutal.

But do you man. Pull posts you’ve been harbouring for over half a year hoping for that “gotcha” moment. Live your truth baby! You can be right and I’ll be wrong if that helps you get over it, I’m cool with that.

It’s a hockey forum. Having my hopes and dreams proven wrong over the course of a season is far from uncomfortable, it’s par for the course. It’s a sad little warm blanket.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 06-19-2019 at 01:15 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 01:18 AM   #45
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Proven wrong? How? People change their minds over 7 months, that’s most of the season and the playoffs. There was nothing to be “wrong” about (unless you mean my hope that Neal would turn it around, which was absolutely wrong). But if you put me right back there 7 months ago I would have said the same thing: absolutely not. You never know.

The “link” to that quote is right there beside your name, little red button. Same thread you just quoted. Call it a proposal or a stake in the sand, point being, where you put that stake was embarrassingly bad even as a starting point. It’s brutal.

But do you man. Pull posts you’ve been harbouring for over half a year hoping for that “gotcha” moment. Live your truth baby! You can be right and I’ll be wrong if that helps you get over it, I’m cool with that.
It would have been quicker and easier just to post my entire quote...but you deliberately took the additional time to edit the quote to remove the context.

I was clearly asking what package another team would accept for this salary dump...not what we would entertain.

How odd?

Quote:
What would it take to move Neal out? (probably to a team struggling to get to the cap floor)

To Flames: 7th round draft pick

To <Team>: Neal, Kylington, 2nd Round pick

Would this entice a team to take the 5.75mm cap hit?

Not saying I’d like to see Kylington go as I think he has solid 2nd pair potential. Just trying to figure out what the consensus price to move Neal would be. Too much, too little?

Last edited by CanadaMatt; 06-19-2019 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:48 AM   #46
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s weird that some people wanted to see Neal suck just to say “I told you so” to strangers on the internet instead of seeing him succeed and helping the Flames.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:26 AM   #47
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Today I learned the word Pettifog
Old 06-19-2019, 06:39 AM   #48
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Man, if they could deal Neal, Brodie and Frolik they could take a real shot at Duchene.
Zero chance they move all 3 without taking salary back. Adding a 9-10M player from free agency is a pipe dream this off-season.

Ideally they can trade Neal for a lower cap hit player and someone with less term. Pearson/Spooner would be an example.

If Frolik can be moved for a pick then perhaps the Flames could take back a bigger cap hit in the Brodie trade?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #49
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
It would have been quicker and easier just to edit the quote to remove the context.

I was clearly odd
You said it! People who shorten quoted posts are monsters.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #50
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Today I learned the word Pettifog
I'm going to try to work it into a sentence today (once I look up what it means).
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:38 AM   #51
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
It’s weird that some people wanted to see Neal suck just to say “I told you so” to strangers on the internet instead of seeing him succeed and helping the Flames.
I will never understand the type of fans that actively cheer against players on the team they follow just because they have decided they don't like them. I see it here and on football forums where fans have it in for the QB and would rather see him fail than go out and win games for his team. It's utterly bizarre and makes absolutely no sense but given fanatic by definition is grouped in with zealot, extremist, etc I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that some fans take things a little too far.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #52
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Zero chance they move all 3 without taking salary back. Adding a 9-10M player from free agency is a pipe dream this off-season.

Ideally they can trade Neal for a lower cap hit player and someone with less term. Pearson/Spooner would be an example.

If Frolik can be moved for a pick then perhaps the Flames could take back a bigger cap hit in the Brodie trade?
Brodie and frolik can both easily be traded for draft picks in separate trades.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #53
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Told you that would happen.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #54
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
Brodie and frolik can both easily be traded for draft picks in separate trades.
Brodie yes, Frolik hopefully but that still doesn’t give the Flames money to sign Duchene. Treliving also won’t make his big move via free agency and pretty much said as much at the STH event. Maybe those moves allow him to trade for a $6M player but I can’t see him going to the free agent market after trading roster players to fill the holes.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #55
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Neil isn't coming off one bad year, he wasn't good in Vegas either. How he managed to score just 44 points with everyone around him having career years is pretty bad.

I'm not expecting a rebound from him scoring wise but at minimum I want to see effort and grit. Otherwise he can take a hike.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #56
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Brodie yes, Frolik hopefully but that still doesn’t give the Flames money to sign Duchene. Treliving also won’t make his big move via free agency and pretty much said as much at the STH event. Maybe those moves allow him to trade for a $6M player but I can’t see him going to the free agent market after trading roster players to fill the holes.
Im only saying Brodie and Frolik can be traded without taking salary back. I also doubt BT signs any big fish via FA. But I also think Stone can be traded for a 5th or 6th to free up more room.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #57
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Im only saying Brodie and Frolik can be traded without taking salary back. I also doubt BT signs any big fish via FA. But I also think Stone can be traded for a 5th or 6th to free up more room.
A little too optimistic in my opinion. I 100% agree on Brodie but not sure a team will give assets and not send back salary in a Frolik or Stone deal.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Neil isn't coming off one bad year, he wasn't good in Vegas either. How he managed to score just 44 points with everyone around him having career years is pretty bad.

I'm not expecting a rebound from him scoring wise but at minimum I want to see effort and grit. Otherwise he can take a hike.
He scored at about his career normal rate in Vegas, I think. He was .62 ppg and his previous four years were 2 above and 2 below that rate. His team did have career years, but I'm not so sure that has to correlate. It wasn't Tuch's career year, nor Eakin's (who was Neal's third most common linemate after Perron and Haula).

The extreme drop from his previous career low PPG is what some find most concerning but others find most positive, oddly.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #59
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
A little too optimistic in my opinion. I 100% agree on Brodie but not sure a team will give assets and not send back salary in a Frolik or Stone deal.
Frolik and Stone both only have one year and are good adds to any team needing solid depth in middle six FWD or 4-6 Dman. Plenty of teams have the cap space to do it too.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #60
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Frolik and Stone both only have one year and are good adds to any team needing solid depth in middle six FWD or 4-6 Dman. Plenty of teams have the cap space to do it too.
Plus if you are a team like Ottawa and can buy low on a Frolik, Stone, or Brodie you can probably sell them for more at the trade deadline. A fourth for Stone now is a second in February. Two seconds for Brodie is a first and second at the deadline. Rebuilding teams should be looking for pending UFA's that teams are looking to move, if they can acquire them for a reasonable price and think that they will have a great value in eight months time.