Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #41
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this is roughly 13.8% of the salary cap (if the cap hits 83M). This seems reasonable to me.

Jeff Skinner is a 10.8% cap-hit. John Tavares signed last year for 13.8% of the salary cap, and you could say that included a hometown discount for Toronto as San Jose was offering more money.

Last edited by ComixZone; 06-17-2019 at 09:14 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #42
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
This could be a #### deal by month 4
Such a great player but with the serious injuries in recent years, I don't think he can ever be 100% again.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #43
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they had to over pay to get him to stay. SJ really is depleted in assets going forward. It looks like they don't have a 1st rounder till 2021 and in that time frame only one 2nd rounder. For a team that have a window open right now it looks like they will not be able to add much more other than in FA, where you tend to over pay in term and dollars.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think they had to over pay to get him to stay. SJ really is depleted in assets going forward. It looks like they don't have a 1st rounder till 2021 and in that time frame only one 2nd rounder. For a team that have a window open right now it looks like they will not be able to add much more other than in FA, where you tend to over pay in term and dollars.
Good.

San Jose has gotten so many good players just because its San Jose its nice that they have to take it in the chops every now and then.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #45
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the plan is to leave him exposed for the expansion draft. Use him for another season then off load him sooner then later.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
People continue to predict the downfall of the Sharks and continue to be wrong every time.

When you draft, develop and trade the way they do you will have continued success.

Hertl - 24
Couture - 29
Meier - 21
Pavelski- 34 (UFA)
Kane - 27
Lebanc - 22

That's their top 6 scoring forwards in order last season and their ages ranging from 74 to 56 points. Now they have two Norris contending elite offensive Dmen who are both younger than Gio.

I want them to suck as much or more than anyone, but I will believe it when I see it.
We used to say the same thing about the Ducks and it finally caught up to them as it will catch up to the Sharks. Father time always wins.
Always! Those forwards you listed are nice players but without Pavelski isn't going to scare anyone. It's all about Brent Burns as he goes the Sharks go, so their fate is tied to how many years left he can perform at elite levels. I imagine he's got at minimum two years left at his current levels but if he drops off they are in trouble.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-17-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #47
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I wonder if the plan is to leave him exposed for the expansion draft. Use him for another season then off load him sooner then later.
I would be shocked if this deal didn't include a NMC for the expansion draft.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Wilson has been a very very good GM. But itrs just possible he is entering "oh crap, my team is on the decline" mode, and is doing a bunch of dumb long term stuff to try and extend the short term window.
It really looks like he's trying to win while Burns is still playing at a high level. I can understand the logic as if they win a cup in the next two years it will be worth the long term pains but they have no cups of yet and badly need to win in the next few years before the drop off starts.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #49
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm seeing some of these contracts and wondering if teams are banking on the LTIR loophole to end some of these deals?

What insurance company underwrites these contracts? If I were an actuary I'd be apoplectic.

Well...as much as an insurance actuary can be.

I am not so sure. We don't know the premiums.
The cost could be millions, and the team accepts that because it does not count against the cap. I doubt the insurance company is hurting.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #50
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

The San Jose Sharks really are an incredible organization. Since they've entered the league, they've made the playoffs 21 times in 27 years, and made it to at least the second round FOURTEEN TIMES! They've been to the conference finals five times since 2004. Since the Sharks have been in the league, the Flames have made it out of round 1 three times. Ouch.

They're in on every major free trade, whether they get the player or not. Thornton. Heatley. Burns. Kane. Karlsson.

They find players out of nowhere. Pavelski was an 8th round pick. There isn't even an 8th round anymore.

The highest draft pick they've had in the last twenty years is Milan Michalek at 6. Timo Meir and Logan Couture are the only other top ten picks they've made, both at nine.

They've never not had good goaltending. Annti Niemi was a Shark for three years and never had a save percentage below .913. NIEMI!!!!

There isn't a team in the sport that's tried harder to win a championship than the San Jose Sharks, and they have never been able to get over the finish line. It's unprecedented for them to have been as good as they have been for two decades and to have never cashed one in.

I'm only disappointed that all these dynamic UFAs are re-signing early and robbing us of our Canada Day.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #51
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that is a lot of cash and term for a guy who may have already played his best hockey...

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #52
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I strongly disagree. Tavares has been consistent whereas there's a HUGE difference between the Ottawa Karlsson and the San Jose Karlsson.
The sample size is far too small to say that.

Karlsson was junk in October and November, but was phenomenal in December and January. Then he got hurt. Came back and was their second leading scorer in the post-season, albeit also a minus player.

Sufficed to say, we still don't know what Karlsson will be in San Jose.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #53
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
The San Jose Sharks really are an incredible organization. Since they've entered the league, they've made the playoffs 21 times in 27 years, and made it to at least the second round FOURTEEN TIMES! They've been to the conference finals five times since 2004. Since the Sharks have been in the league, the Flames have made it out of round 1 three times. Ouch.

They're in on every major free trade, whether they get the player or not. Thornton. Heatley. Burns. Kane. Karlsson.

They find players out of nowhere. Pavelski was an 8th round pick. There isn't even an 8th round anymore.

The highest draft pick they've had in the last twenty years is Milan Michalek at 6. Timo Meir and Logan Couture are the only other top ten picks they've made, both at nine.

They've never not had good goaltending. Annti Niemi was a Shark for three years and never had a save percentage below .913. NIEMI!!!!

There isn't a team in the sport that's tried harder to win a championship than the San Jose Sharks, and they have never been able to get over the finish line. It's unprecedented for them to have been as good as they have been for two decades and to have never cashed one in.

I'm only disappointed that all these dynamic UFAs are re-signing early and robbing us of our Canada Day.
Closet Sharks fan.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:12 AM   #54
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have a chance to sign one of the best defenceman in the world, you do it and figure out the salary cap later. If Giordano can be a Norris finalist (winner) at 36, Karlsson can be too. Injuries are the only concern here, but I think everyone is making them a bigger deal than they actually are.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #55
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

This guy is perennially on crutches. Signing him for more than 4 years is insane
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #56
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
If you have a chance to sign one of the best defenceman in the world, you do it and figure out the salary cap later. If Giordano can be a Norris finalist (winner) at 36, Karlsson can be too.

Apart from the fact that they are nothing alike as players, you mean?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #57
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i like the guy, but man, that is a big contract for a guy with his injury history...

we'll revisit this at the halfway point and see whether its become a bargin or an anchor
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #58
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think its unreasonable, probably the price to be paid for an elite player entering UFA. People are acting like he's already 37...he's 29. Should have a lot of good hockey in front of him.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #59
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Closet Sharks fan.
He’s not wrong.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #60
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The best part of this signing is the fact that based off one dinner alone, some Canuck fans (on twitter) were looking at EK to Vancouver as a done deal, and already counting their Cups (I wish I was making that part up).

I’m just happy knowing that this contract made at least a few Canuck fans both surprised and sad.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote