Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #2781
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Incorrect.

Notley/NDP were never ahead of the UCP in polling. In fact have trailed badly since its inception pretty much.

Trudeau/Liberals are behind the PC's pretty solidly now.

Long long way to election time, but to suggest there is 0% chance Scheer cannot win in October is patently and totally false, and completely made up in your very narrow scope of political views.

These are just the facts, not some rah rah cheerleading shake those pom pom talking points/opinions either.

http://338canada.com/index.htm
When it comes to the federal election, Andrew Scheer isn’t the Conservative party leader with whom people should be concerned.

Right or wrong, elections are won and lost in Ontario, and Doug Ford’s poll numbers are in the toilet less than a year into his stint as Premier. If he gets himself involved on behalf of the federal Tories in the fall, and he will, it won’t be good news for Scheer.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #2782
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Yeah I was under the impression that if you advance voted in your own riding that those votes would be counted on election day.

People (presumably brain-dead idiots) on twitter had suggested pre-counting the advance votes but I'm glad that they don't. This way might build in a little drama for the week if there are a few ridings that are close.
Actually i dont understand why they didnt pre-count the ballots yesterday (though this seems to be the law at this point but one that could easily be changed) and then release the results after todays ballots have been tabulated.

Really do not understand the need to wait til tomorrow...seems ridiculous as a matter of fact.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #2783
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

During the Olympic vote they used the same sheets as at the advanced polls but instead of dropping them into a ballot box you walked over and fed it into a scanner. This seems like a no brainer to me, if there is any discrepancy or possible fraud you still have the paper ballots to go back to if needed. The only downside is that they use a full sheet of paper for every ballot when a 1/4 page would have worked. If they had done this the advanced voting results would be available immediately after the polls closed and before they even did any manual counting. As long as there is the paper backup they shouldn't even be doing manual counts anymore unless the ballot is marked improperly and the machine can't understand it.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #2784
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually i dont understand why they didnt pre-count the ballots yesterday (though this seems to be the law at this point but one that could easily be changed) and then release the results after todays ballots have been tabulated.

Really do not understand the need to wait til tomorrow...seems ridiculous as a matter of fact.
Humans can't be trusted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #2785
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
not sure how to imbed but in April 2 as part of discussion you followed up with -

"Human rights will always come before economic prosperity for me. It's the fundamental core of why we exist and do things freely, and why we are privileged to enjoy that. Even playing field for all. Worse comes to worse you just live minimalist, learn how to be frugal, or move elsewhere for economic opportunity, at least in my opinion."

thought things like this are easy for you to say as you've commented you're doing quite well for yourself.

not saying people should be denied human rights, that's not where I'm coming from.

also matters what human rights you're referring to. some people on this site have stated a decent living wage is a human right, as one example.

but I can't give any more than I already am. the loss of much income in my family and the increase in the cost of everything has my family at the end of a thin rope.

economic prosperity is at the forefront of my existence right now. I do believe in human rights but it's hard to rage against anyone when you worry every single day about losing your house or even putting healthy food on the table, or something as simple as your kid asking why the only stores we seem to go to are the dollar store or a thrift shop.

the answer to helping the disadvantaged can't be taking more from people who may not have more to give. doesn't help that you think the answer is to be more frugal or just move.

anyway, after all that I will say that I did NOT vote UCP.
Gordon, thank you for finding the quote and sharing your opinion.

You may not agree, but I stand by what I say.

I do place human rights first and foremost. If we are not all equal in a democratic, Western country, free to practice what we want, what we say and how we live our lives - and with ensuring those protections are met - then what are we as a society? A right to a decent living wage is very much a thing, but that wage is dependent upon the individual - no one is handing out wages for free, that's what social programs are for if people qualify for that situations. In Canada, we have access to those social programs. I don't expect these to change whether it's NDP or UCP, and if they do, it's not significant. People need help, and we are lucky to live in a society where we can guarantee that help and have the luxury of ensuring rights are met. So when governments rollback progressive policy to support rights - even if they are minor to some - I oppose it. The LGBTQ community is still marginalized, and I suppor their right to exist and make decisions on their own without having the threat of others to make for them.

Regarding the economy, this is an economy that waits for no one and doesn't have an "end game" for fixing itself. It is ruthless, and it is ugly - something we weren't prepared for as a province. THis is an economy where people have to fight harder than before to earn a living and live a particular lifestyle that we have become accustomed to for many years prior; the boom times became normal place, and the expectations with it. Once the recession hit, it was the first real check on those expectations that many of us had seen, and hopefully during the good times prepared for.

This is an economy where there is nothing wrong in saying that you have to adjust your lifestyle to fit your circumstances. Being frugal, living more simply with less material things, and having to move around for work are not unnatural reactions to changing circumstances. Many people are already doing it. Our parents and grandparents did it during the Great Depression, the ####ty 80's and the fallout from the NEP, and we have to do it now.

I sympathize with your position - I really do. I have a couple of friends who are also struggling still. So let me make something clear - I don't want to see anyone lose their job, suffer, or fall on hard times. But when your situation is "backed into a corner" you have to fight your way out. I don't believe waiting for the government to fix your situation is a good strategy - even if Kenney's office sees a pipeline getting built, that is absolutely no guarantee that things immediately get better.

If moving is an option, you do it. If living more frugal or minimalist is an option, you do it. If re-training yourself to go into a new industry is a new option, you do it. If taking extra shifts or a lower-paying job with modest expectations is an option, you do it. One example is how people from the other Prairie provinces, Ontario and the East Coast left their homes and come to Alberta for opportunity in the Patch and this province. Its happened in Canada before and will continue to a thing as different regions of this country do well and other falter.

As I am in tech, right now it's probably better to be in the Lower mainland or the GTA - and I will do that if I have to.

I don't know what you personally, but humans are resilient - and if we have to change our behaviors and lifestyles to match extreme circumstances, then we do it. People leave ancestoral homes and countries because of opportunity (or lack thereof), oppression, or other reasons. They change their lives, uproot, and redefine themselves, often at great risk. This is just what we as a species do.

I understand your frustration, and if there's anything I can do to help I'm glad to listen. You're welcome to tear me apart if you want as well.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #2786
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
When it comes to the federal election, Andrew Scheer isn’t the Conservative party leader with whom people should be concerned.

Right or wrong, elections are won and lost in Ontario, and Doug Ford’s poll numbers are in the toilet less than a year into his stint as Premier. If he gets himself involved on behalf of the federal Tories in the fall, and he will, it won’t be good news for Scheer.
Trudeau's numbers in Ontario aren't much better.

They matter more than Fords.

A year ago the Liberals had a comfortable lead in Ontario...today it is a statistical tie overall but much worse news at the riding by riding level.

Again though...long long way to October.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #2787
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'm guessing the risk of the advance poll results getting leaked and influencing the election day voters is why they do not pre-count.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #2788
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
not sure how to imbed but in April 2 as part of discussion you followed up with -

"Human rights will always come before economic prosperity for me. It's the fundamental core of why we exist and do things freely, and why we are privileged to enjoy that. Even playing field for all. Worse comes to worse you just live minimalist, learn how to be frugal, or move elsewhere for economic opportunity, at least in my opinion."

thought things like this are easy for you to say as you've commented you're doing quite well for yourself.

not saying people should be denied human rights, that's not where I'm coming from.

also matters what human rights you're referring to. some people on this site have stated a decent living wage is a human right, as one example.

but I can't give any more than I already am. the loss of much income in my family and the increase in the cost of everything has my family at the end of a thin rope.

economic prosperity is at the forefront of my existence right now. I do believe in human rights but it's hard to rage against anyone when you worry every single day about losing your house or even putting healthy food on the table, or something as simple as your kid asking why the only stores we seem to go to are the dollar store or a thrift shop.

the answer to helping the disadvantaged can't be taking more from people who may not have more to give. doesn't help that you think the answer is to be more frugal or just move.

anyway, after all that I will say that I did NOT vote UCP.
800 million people in China have been pulled out of poverty through their countries economic prosperity.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #2789
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Because all it takes is one leak to dramatically alter the course of an election. And it doesn't even have to be an actual leak. Just someone who can convince enough people that the advance voting has given a lead to <party you hate> as a means of rallying their side.

Not even opening the boxes until the polls close prevents this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #2790
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1118198755805757440

https://twitter.com/user/status/1118199901039538181

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #2791
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1118160032875589632
Old 04-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #2792
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one should film themselves saying anything for the purpose of sharing it on the Internet. This must stop.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #2793
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What kind of idiot films themselves while driving?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #2794
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
No one should film themselves saying anything for the purpose of sharing it on the Internet. This must stop.
Amen to that.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #2795
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to be interesting in 4 years if we find ourselves in the exact same place. Will all the UCP voters still stand by the "only the UCP can fix this" or will the be willing to admit that outside circumstances play a much larger role in what we can achieve as a province than what we have control over?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #2796
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

... Or will the business climate improve slightly by virtue of a combination of UCP policies and "they had nowhere to go but up", and the UCP will take credit for 100% of any gains while overstating them, and say "don't change horses, we're heading in the right direction, our plan may be going slower than you hoped but it's working, give it time"?

That seems the most likely outcome, to me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #2797
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's going to be interesting in 4 years if we find ourselves in the exact same place. Will all the UCP voters still stand by the "only the UCP can fix this" or will the be willing to admit that outside circumstances play a much larger role in what we can achieve as a province than what we have control over?
The era of political dynasties in Alberta is likely over. I can't imagine the next party voted in will get more than four years unless some crazy unforeseen economic boom occurs.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #2798
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at an event with Minister Eby today in Vancouver. He reiterated his government's promise to fight any attempt to "turn off the taps" as unconstitutional. He's probably right. He didn't mention anything about bitumen permitting though...
Old 04-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #2799
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The era of political dynasties in Alberta is likely over. I can't imagine the next party voted in will get more than four years unless some crazy unforeseen economic boom occurs.
Never before has a party formed government only to be voted out after its first 4 years. (in Alberta)

That likely occurs for the first time today.

4 years is a long long way off and its hard to believe that things will be the same or worse in regards to the subjects that matter to people this election.

A lot of it will come down to the issues at the forefront of voters minds at that point, and who the hell knows what they will be this far out.

Last edited by transplant99; 04-16-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #2800
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I was at an event with Minister Eby today in Vancouver. He reiterated his government's promise to fight any attempt to "turn off the taps" as unconstitutional. He's probably right. He didn't mention anything about bitumen permitting though...
Like a lot of the UCP platform, they are going to do things much like Quebec in the past and do what they want and allow the courts to decide from there.

There could be a lot of pain for BC'ers by the time that is ever decided however.