Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #2641
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
That's an odd take.

So you think voting in a hardline Conservative party with regressive social policies is going to win national favour and get some pipe in the ground?

If not, how do you get the pipelines in? It seems at the provincial level, a lot has been tried, with minimal success.

If this isn't something that can get solved at the provincial level, maybe it would be prudent to start planning like it can't be solved.
By Notely? Ha.

I live on the border of Sk/ab. I see a lot of new projects and expansion in Sk. I see a lot of wells being shut in on the Ab side. Whys Husky putting most there thermal projects in Saskatchewan?
Old 04-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #2642
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
By Notely? Ha.

I live on the border of Sk/ab. I see a lot of new projects and expansion in Sk. I see a lot of wells being shut in on the Ab side. Whys Husky putting most there thermal projects in Saskatchewan?
Care to expand what that has to do with pipelines? I am assuming they haven't built a bunch of pipelines to tidewater through other provinces that have flown under the radar.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #2643
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
By Notely? Ha.

Because it's outside the curtailment and downstream of the current pipeline bottleneck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #2644
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this is basically amazing! I have no idea how long it is, but it's "Kenneys Quest" which is basically Zelda for the election. I'm a couple minutes in and wish I could blow off the time to complete this...https://serene-cove-73665.herokuapp.com/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #2645
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Kim's Convenience star Andrew Phung with a new take on the Alberta Election and a call to action for the younger voters:

Opinion: Stop letting Albertans over 40 decide the future of our province

When polls open tomorrow, Albertans will collectively face one of the most important decisions in generations. The average Albertan is 37.9 years old. If you’re older than that, you’re probably already a voter. If you’re younger than that, ask yourself one question: do you trust older people to decide what direction Alberta will take?

“Young people don’t vote.” It’s about as much of a cliche as “millennials sure love avocado toast.” There are good reasons for that. Avocado toast is hella delicious. Young people live incredibly busy lives. And every election, older voters turn out in droves.

If you’ve been hearing anything at all about this campaign, you’ve probably heard radically different ideas about where Alberta needs to go. You might know about RCMP investigations. I ain’t saying anyone’s guilty. I’m just saying that’s a legit thing happening right now.

Whatever your political leanings, the differences come down to the most fundamental questions about who we are as Albertans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #2646
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Kim's Convenience star Andrew Phung with a new take on the Alberta Election and a call to action for the younger voters:

Opinion: Stop letting Albertans over 40 decide the future of our province

When polls open tomorrow, Albertans will collectively face one of the most important decisions in generations. The average Albertan is 37.9 years old. If you’re older than that, you’re probably already a voter. If you’re younger than that, ask yourself one question: do you trust older people to decide what direction Alberta will take?

“Young people don’t vote.” It’s about as much of a cliche as “millennials sure love avocado toast.” There are good reasons for that. Avocado toast is hella delicious. Young people live incredibly busy lives. And every election, older voters turn out in droves.

If you’ve been hearing anything at all about this campaign, you’ve probably heard radically different ideas about where Alberta needs to go. You might know about RCMP investigations. I ain’t saying anyone’s guilty. I’m just saying that’s a legit thing happening right now.

Whatever your political leanings, the differences come down to the most fundamental questions about who we are as Albertans.
nice enough opinion piece, but the whole young people are too busy thing is a crock of feces.

"Young people live incredibly busy lives." yeah so do those over 40.
we can find 15 minutes to vote. so can the kids.
he should be tell thing them to not be so lazy instead of giving them the excuse of being busy.

I instead say many of the younger people don't have the same sense of civic responsibility as those over 40 do. so they could not be bothered to vote as opposed to being too busy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #2647
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
nice enough opinion piece, but the whole young people are too busy thing is a crock of feces.

"Young people live incredibly busy lives." yeah so do those over 40.
we can find 15 minutes to vote. so can the kids.
he should be tell thing them to not be so lazy instead of giving them the excuse of being busy.

I instead say many of the younger people don't have the same sense of civic responsibility as those over 40 do. so they could not be bothered to vote as opposed to being too busy.
But as far as the balance goes, people between 18 and 40 are much, much busier on average than those over 40.

Personally, I don’t see a 35 year old as “a kid” nor do I see suggesting people under 40 are significantly busier in every way than retirees (which make up a decent portion of the “over 40” crowd) to be a controversial statement.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #2648
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Yeah I tend to agree, people under the age of 40 can live more busy - if not busier - lives trying to make ends meet than people well over 40. This is usually the age bracket of working longer hours, starting families and doing extra-curriculars.

That said, everyone can find 15 minutes to vote - this election made it incredibly easy to make one.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #2649
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well this is basically amazing! I have no idea how long it is, but it's "Kenneys Quest" which is basically Zelda for the election. I'm a couple minutes in and wish I could blow off the time to complete this...https://serene-cove-73665.herokuapp.com/
That's hilarious! I guess I know what I'm doing when I get home.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #2650
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
I got to Don Braid in the huts after Nenshi gave me the Rocky Mountain pass.

This is amazing.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #2651
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
But as far as the balance goes, people between 18 and 40 are much, much busier on average than those over 40.

Personally, I don’t see a 35 year old as “a kid” nor do I see suggesting people under 40 are significantly busier in every way than retirees (which make up a decent portion of the “over 40” crowd) to be a controversial statement.
he should have said retirees, then. he was pretty specific about over 40.
and not letting those "old" people decide the future.

guess I'm picturing everyone I know between 40 and 55, most of whom who lead extremely busy lives, no less than some 20 or 30 year old guy.

nit-picking on the intent of his piece, I know. but the young people too busy to vote thing bugged me.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #2652
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
That's an odd take.

So you think voting in a hardline Conservative party with regressive social policies is going to win national favour and get some pipe in the ground?

If not, how do you get the pipelines in? It seems at the provincial level, a lot has been tried, with minimal success.

If this isn't something that can get solved at the provincial level, maybe it would be prudent to start planning like it can't be solved.
Get the truth from our dunce PM.

Maybe there are no more pipeline going in. Is TM2 dead? Why don't you ask the goddamned PM?

Then we can move on with our lives. Don't pin hope where there's no hope.

How dare I expect politicians to be truthful. Is there any other job where lying and telling part of the truth profusely is so rewarded?
Old 04-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #2653
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

LOL. How old are you again?
Old 04-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #2654
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is probably zero per cent true. The difference is you are too young to know how much free time you actually have.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #2655
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So, this election has been terrible and I've been wishing it were over pretty much since the writ dropped, and even more over the past week... but this might actually make it worth it. Utterly amazing.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #2656
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think younger people don't actually realize what free time is.

Planning to watch a hockey game or TV or going for a drink with friends is still free time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #2657
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, I call bull####. Ask anyone in their 40s with kids and a full-time job if they have more free time than they did when they were in their 20s.

Younger people vote at lower rates because:

A) They're less likely to follow civic affairs altogether.
B) A lot of people don't feel they have a real stake in the game until they start paying significant taxes and/or they have kids.

Spoiler!

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-15-2019 at 01:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #2658
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think younger people don't actually realize what free time is.

Planning to watch a hockey game or TV or going for a drink with friends is still free time.
Those are obligations. Life is rough man.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #2659
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Of the 1,202 people polled — both online and by phone — UCP support is up three percentage points among the leaning and decided voters, reaching 50 per cent. Support for the NDP has also grown slightly, up one percentage point to 40 per cent.

Support for the Alberta Party dropped three points since the last Global News/Ipsos poll was conducted post-leaders debate, which had pegged support for the party at 10 per cent. The Alberta Liberal Party saw a one-point drop in support, to just one per cent.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5167276/a...ap-not-enough/
Old 04-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #2660
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

15 min of your time to have your say in choosing your Government for the next 2.1 Million minutes is a ####ing no-brainer.

Voter apathy is BS

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread