Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #41
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't disagree at all.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #42
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the story Minnie:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/St...112/story.html

and here's the passenger manifest:
http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/cont...20Manifest.pdf
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #43
RedCoffee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

maybe? I hope?

RedCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #44
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And this, apparently, is the oil slick.

JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #45
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very sad news. I hope they find the plane, in whatever state it's in, to give the families some closure.
DoubleK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #46
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
A friend said she just read that 2 stolen passports (one Australian, one Italian) were used to board the flight. I'm off to google to see if I can find anything about that.
I thought there was a system to notify all embassies of stolen and lost passports in order to prevent terrorists and drug dealers from using them
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #47
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
I was always told that the high majority (80%) of crashes happen within the first 3 or last 8 minutes of a flight.
I'm going out on a limb here to say I think it's 100% that all crashes happen in the last second of the flight.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #48
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
I'm going out on a limb here to say I think it's 100% that all crashes happen in the last second of the flight.
Horrific airline tragedy, hundreds dead, CP comedians show up with their weekend material...yay?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #49
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Two seemingly unrelated people had their passports lost or stolen while in Thailand a year+ ago, and then both passports, and whoever then possessed them, end up on an airplane that loses all communications out of the blue in the "safest" part of the flight at cruising altitude.

Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Edit: In related news, this image kind of disgusts me:

Old 03-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #50
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seriously, I understand it's their job, and it sells ... but jesus christ guys.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #51
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Horrific airline tragedy, hundreds dead, CP comedians show up with their weekend material...yay?
Take a freaking pill.

I wasn't trying to be funny. I was just commenting on how he should have worded it. Sheesh.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #52
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Take a freaking pill.

I wasn't trying to be funny. I was just commenting on how he should have worded it. Sheesh.
then you clearly missed the point of what Jonduke was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
I was always told that the high majority (80%) of crashes happen within the first 3 or last 8 minutes of a flight.
Meaning: crashes normally happen in first 3 minutes (takeoff) or crashes happen in last 8 minutes (landing) and usually the time in air between is the safest part
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan6 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #53
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Two seemingly unrelated people had their passports lost or stolen while in Thailand a year+ ago, and then both passports, and whoever then possessed them, end up on an airplane that loses all communications out of the blue in the "safest" part of the flight at cruising altitude.

Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Edit: In related news, this image kind of disgusts me:

Another possibility is a collision with a smaller aircraft at that altitude
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #54
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Take a freaking pill.

Well, if you weren't trying to be funny, then you missed his point. He was explaining when in the flight crashes typically happen, aka just after take off or just before landing.

Judging by how obvious his point is, though and how irrelevant it is that crashes technically happen at the last second, I'd imagine you went for a joke, realized it pissed everyone off and then tried to pretend it wasn't.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #55
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the one guy with the camcorder doing? Does he even work for the media, or is he just some dickhead filming her devastation for kicks?
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #56
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I was watching an episode of Mayday recently; I believe it was an Air France flight that had gone missing mid-flight as well. I seem to recall their sudden emergency also cut their power; so while the crew struggled to recover the aircraft they were also unable to use radio communications.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #57
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I was watching an episode of Mayday recently; I believe it was an Air France flight that had gone missing mid-flight as well. I seem to recall their sudden emergency also cut their power; so while the crew struggled to recover the aircraft they were also unable to use radio communications.
IF you're talking about AF447 (the one that disappeared in 2009), the issue was that they (the pilots) had no idea they were in a stall until about 35 seconds before impact. None of the pilots thought they were going to die, and everything seemed to be working in decent shape until it was too late.

They gently fell out of the sky over a 3 minute period with no thoughts as to their danger. That's why there wasn't any radio communication.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #58
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffman View Post
Another possibility is a collision with a smaller aircraft at that altitude
I don't think many non-commercial, non-military aircraft fly at 35,000 feet, and if it was a collision with a commercial or military aircraft, or even some swanky business jet, it'd be almost immediately noticed, I would imagine, but I'm no aviation pro, so maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I read an article about the capabilities of the 777-200, and there's backup power on the aircraft, so even if power was cut somehow, communications would still have been able to get out. Everything I read points to how bizarre it is that contact was lost all of the sudden. Even if the plane had some sort of electronic mishap, or the engines cut out, or anything, from 35,000 feet up, there'd be plenty of time to communicate with someone, according to the people that know what they're talking about.

Here it is. Interesting stuff: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/travel...iner-analysis/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
Greg Feith, a former investigator with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) in the United States, suggested the pilots should have been able to report in, even if power on the aircraft had failed.

"The airplane by certification has to have battery back-up power -- they still have to be able to utilize certain flight instruments and communication tools to complete the flight safely.

"So you could lose all the generators, you could have both engines out, but the battery back-up -- which will only work for a certain time -- is intended for emergency situations."

Feith also pointed to the possibility of an issue with the pressurization of the aircraft.

"If you have a high-altitude pressurization problem, catastrophic decompression, the time of useful consciousness (the time a pilot can operate with an insufficient oxygen supply) in the 30,000-40,000-feet range is a matter of seconds."
Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #59
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was funny Puxlut. Ignore these haters.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #60
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Couple of good places to follow for updates, in case you are not a general avgeek

www.avherald.com
www.airchive.com
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post: