Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #21
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
You are. I have purchased two samsung appliances. Microwave and Dryer. Both have had issues. I'd never buy Samsung again anything unless it's a TV or monitor.
The set I have has only basic controls not overly complicated electronics so I'm thinking that's why they've been reliable. I have heard horror stories about several brands so when I go to buy new I'll be lost.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #22
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I have heard horror stories about several brands so when I go to buy new I'll be lost.
Lol, yep. I'm going to be in the same boat.

I hear good things about Bosch but I think you have to be careful where it was made? Ones from Germany are OK but careful of the Chinese made ones.

They are a bit more expensive too.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #23
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
FYI, 9/10 times this is due to improper install where the fridge isn’t leveled properly such that the front is higher than the rear (fridges shouldn’t be perfectly level front to back, front needs to be higher). If you don’t do that, any moisture tends to pool and not drain to the back like it’s designed to do. Ice maker freezing on Samsung fridges is usually the first sign of this.
Well I no longer own this, but I do think it was totally level. That's interesting though because I searched for answers and we called Samsung and they were effectively ineffective. It was the most irritating issue though, with seemingly no solution. I moved everything out of the fridge/freezer and unplugged it and let it defrost for a few days, only to have the same thing take place over the next 2-3.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:00 AM   #24
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, was out fridge shopping on the weekend, and pretty much had our minds made up to get Whirlpool, pretty much the same one that Hockey15 linked to. there are some sales, like HD has 10% off if you use a HD card.

Turns out there is a matching stove that is last years model and marked down to $800 or so. Dont' need a new stove, even though existing is white and the fridge SS, but whatever, good idea to get it while we're at it.

Anyways, while looking at other models, got to thinking , that since I would have to run a water line to the fridge to supply the optional factory installed ice maker, why not get one with a water filter/dispenser too? Here's the weird thing, whirlpool does not make a 33" model that has that. 30" & 36" sure, but no 33".

So now the choice is go with different brand and not get the wicked deal on the oven.

Or live without the water dispenser. Right now we use a water cooler, and fill the 18l jugs.

So, has anyone gotten a new fridge with a water dispenser, and thought to themselves, how have I lived this long without this? that's kind of the hang up we're at now.

Last edited by DuffMan; 06-24-2019 at 07:08 AM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose it depends on your basement situation but running a water line to the fridge shouldn't be that hard. If you don't want to tackle it a plumber can do this quickly and easily. It's definitely worth it not only for the ice but the water dispenser.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #26
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I suppose it depends on your basement situation but running a water line to the fridge shouldn't be that hard. If you don't want to tackle it a plumber can do this quickly and easily. It's definitely worth it not only for the ice but the water dispenser.
No, that's not the question, I can run a water line, the problem was, cannot get fridge we want with water dispenser, in size we want in brand we want.

How important is a water dispenser for people that have them.

going to a different brand is going to add about $800 or more to the cost of a matching stove. so all in all probably $1,000 or so for water dispenser, is it worth it for me?

Last edited by DuffMan; 06-24-2019 at 07:33 AM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #27
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a water dispenser in my fridge that I’ve never used.

I have one at my sink; it’s called a faucet.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #28
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the water in my fridge. Instant cold water is awesome. I cube creation is also great. I don't think I would buy another fridge without it.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #29
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
So, was out fridge shopping on the weekend, and pretty much had our minds made up to get Whirlpool, pretty much the same one that Hockey15 linked to. there are some sales, like HD has 10% off if you use a HD card.

Turns out there is a matching stove that is last years model and marked down to $800 or so. Dont' need a new stove, even though existing is white and the fridge SS, but whatever, good idea to get it while we're at it.

Anyways, while looking at other models, got to thinking , that since I would have to run a water line to the fridge to supply the optional factory installed ice maker, why not get one with a water filter/dispenser too? Here's the weird thing, whirlpool does not make a 33" model that has that. 30" & 36" sure, but no 33".

So now the choice is go with different brand and not get the wicked deal on the oven.

Or live without the water dispenser. Right now we use a water cooler, and fill the 18l jugs.

So, has anyone gotten a new fridge with a water dispenser, and thought to themselves, how have I lived this long without this? that's kind of the hang up we're at now.
If you're going to get Whirlpool, buy from Ikea. It's even the kitchen sale right now where you get 20% back in Ikea gift cards. Ikea stuff is unbranded, but it's made by Whirlpool. You always want to buy Whirlpool there because they come automatically with a five-year warranty. I have their fridge (with water/ice), gas range, under-counter microwave and dishwasher. It has all been great. I bought during a kitchen event in 2016 and it's all still on warranty.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #30
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
If you're going to get Whirlpool, buy from Ikea. It's even the kitchen sale right now where you get 20% back in Ikea gift cards. Ikea stuff is unbranded, but it's made by Whirlpool. You always want to buy Whirlpool there because they come automatically with a five-year warranty. I have their fridge (with water/ice), gas range, under-counter microwave and dishwasher. It has all been great. I bought during a kitchen event in 2016 and it's all still on warranty.
Nutid?
they only have 4 fridges on their website, all Nutid
that's their oven brand too, looks like
Old 06-24-2019, 08:49 AM   #31
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yep, Nutid is Whirlpool.

Quote:
Are IKEA appliances made by Whirlpool?
"Ikea's appliances are made by Whirlpool, and they're sold only at Ikea," says Mark Allwood, the analyst who covers the appliance market for Consumer Reports. ... Ikea's reassuring warranty applies to all appliances except the Lagan and Tillreda lines. Oct 27, 2017
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #32
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

We recently had to replace our 2012 model year KitchenAid fridge after it decided to randomly stop cooling. Sometimes we'd come down to find the thing sitting at 58 degrees F. KitchenAid discontinued the jazz board that needed to be replaced and second hand / aftermarket parts were nowhere to be found.

We liked the design though, and ended up sticking with KitchenAid, getting the updated version here. I was tempted to get a Bosch to match our dishwasher, but wasn't keen on spending $4k on damn fridge. Plus we much preferred the layout of the KitchenAid model. Having an ice dispenser take up your fridge space sucks, the KitchenAid has an ice dispenser in the freezer where it belongs.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:46 AM   #33
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
We recently had to replace our 2012 model year KitchenAid fridge after it decided to randomly stop cooling.
That exact model, is my second choice, but the problem is matching a Kitchen Aid oven to it, is way more than the cheap Whirlpool one we found.

How do you like the internal water dispenser?
Old 06-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #34
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Duff I have the same question.

Have you seen the counter-depth model with the wood-look trim inside. It’s beautiful and better be for over 4K usd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2019, 07:20 PM   #35
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a frigidaire fridge and it's absolute garbage, I can't wait to get rid of it. To be fair it was on the low end for price (and apparently quality)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #36
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will second not buying a Samsung just finished de icing the entire fridge for the second time in 1.5 years only had it for 4 years now
Also as someone who repairs appliances kitchen aid has by far the most expensive parts to replace
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #37
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First off, why is the abbreviation for refrigerator, fridge?

What's with the "d"?
It looks better and matches other similar sounding words like "badge" and "bridge": https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...r-refrigerator

"frig" has been used as a variant spelling, but it's more-likely to be pronounced to rhyme with "big" and "rig". The addition of the "d" and "e" around the "g" just reads better.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:13 PM   #38
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Water and ice dispensers are the way to go. I get nice chilled and filtered water and I can never get enough ice. Besides, you use less water from the fridge because it's always cold instead of running a tap and waiting for colder water.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:10 AM   #39
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't have a lot to add here, but DO NOT buy a Samsung. They have a design issue with the ice maker and essentially it freezes solid and becomes completely useless in short order. They know of this, and as far as I know they've done nothing to solve that.
Have a Samsung, froze once in 6 years, defrosted the fridge, problem solved works fine. Not saying its a great fridge but a freezing ice maker is easy to fix
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #40
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That exact model, is my second choice, but the problem is matching a Kitchen Aid oven to it, is way more than the cheap Whirlpool one we found.

How do you like the internal water dispenser?
We have a matching KitchenAid oven and separate KitchenAid gas range, so the dishwasher is actually the odd-ball.

The internal water dispenser is quick and relatively quiet. Using it with a filter is optional (but really strongly recommended) and easy to access and change; one is included with the fridge. The only complaint I can see with the internal water dispenser is that sometimes the dispenser will drip a couple drops after you're done, and since it's internal without a tray, it just drips onto one of the vegetable crisper lids. However the placement is an advantage as you can fill virtually any container size unlike the external water dispensers.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: