Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #61
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Even if that was the case, it was still terrible asset management. Part of being a good leader is you settle things down until things can work out better. Knowing that you have an asset worth something, you can't limit yourself by saying you have a week to trade him to make the present work out. He was a significant asset. Speak to all the parties you need to keep satisfied and say to hold on until they can figure things out a few weeks. Communication was never a great Sutter trait, but it was an unnecessary time limitation given who Phaneuf was. Then he could make calls to the teams with assets he'd want back and put a time constraint on getting back to him. Instead it was a trade that nobody heard a peep over because of how quick the team was to jump the gun. Sutter was also juggling coaching as well, no? Just a bad recipe.
No. Sutter relinquished coaching duties in the summer of 2006.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #62
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If the rumour was true, and I'm not getting in to that because I genuinely dont know, then you cut out the cancer. ASAP.

But then similarly one has to consider the value of Conroy staying, not just as a player, but a valued member of the organization and that totally tilts the value of the trade.

You basically have to add the value of Conroy's retention to our side of the ledger in regards to that trade.

In which case we absolutely killed it!

But again...I think thats conjecture.
This is some very creative accounting.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #63
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This is some very creative accounting.
I call it 'Mark to Market' and if you're interested I have some very informative literature...boxes and boxes of it....some if it may have been shredded.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #64
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If the rumour was true, and I'm not getting in to that because I genuinely dont know, then you cut out the cancer. ASAP.

But then similarly one has to consider the value of Conroy staying, not just as a player, but a valued member of the organization and that totally tilts the value of the trade.

You basically have to add the value of Conroy's retention to our side of the ledger in regards to that trade.

In which case we absolutely killed it!

But again...I think thats conjecture.
Iginla gave the ultimatum.
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #65
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matt Stajan's value has been highly underrated in this thread

While he never maintained the 50 point center, he was beginning to establish himself, as the No 1 center role in Toronto.

What he did become was a player that played 9 season and over 500 games for this organization. That is by far a greater return than any other team got for a guy that had a below acceptable hickey IQ
Old 06-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube View Post
Iginla gave the ultimatum.
You seem really confident of this. I dont know any of this, we're basically at tinfoil hat territory here and they're still checking my passport.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #67
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post

While he never maintained the 50 point center, he was beginning to establish himself, as the No 1 center role in Toronto.

What he did become was a player that played 9 season and over 500 games for this organization. That is by far a greater return than any other team got for a guy that had a below acceptable hickey IQ
Stajan was the same player for the Flames as he was Toronto. His upside was limited and so was his floor. He was just a solid player but a better human being and in that regard it turned out alright. But again, it was a bad decision to make that type of deal on Sutter’s part, but the outcome was decent due to Stajan working out on the Flames. As for if he was being groomed in Toronto for the top line, I don’t think even the leafs had that in mind long term. He had very limited upside but Toronto needed someone to fill in and he was the best they had. He wasn’t a true first line guy or even had that potential.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #68
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is he related to seven-of-9?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #69
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Is he related to seven-of-9?
Sixdeneuf?

Loose cousins I think.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:56 AM   #70
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think he is done
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #71
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #72
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

He’s my fav flame and pretty much responsible for me being a fan of the team. Such a solid dude. His worth to the franchise goes way beyond the stat sheet for sure.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #73
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

As dumb as it seems, the day Phaneuf was traded away I started to care less about the Flames. Of course when the Jets came back that was going to it for me and the Flames, but, I loved Dion. Probably my only ever "favourite player".

I'd love to see him sign in Winnipeg on a cheaper deal to help fill the Trouba void
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #74
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post

I'd love to see him sign in Winnipeg on a cheaper deal to help fill the Trouba void
As a Flames fan I totally agree.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #75
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see a team who is going nowhere, passive fans, and silly ownership take a stab at him. I'd guess Florida would fit that bill but it looks like they have some decent management there. So I'd take a wild stab at Anaheim.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:48 PM   #76
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You seem really confident of this. I dont know any of this, we're basically at tinfoil hat territory here and they're still checking my passport.
I can confirm this story. From the mouth of a former Flames player on the team during that time.

From what I was told, a trainer accidentally saw texts on Phaneufs phone during a game from Conroy's wife saying they had to end it. The trainer told Conroy, who told Iginla, who then beat Phaneuf in the locker room (you may recall Iginla having a black eye about a week or two before the trade (edit: the day before the trade. Jan 30th against the Oilers)). I can't remember if Conroy was involved in that last part but there was definitely an Iginla/Phaneuf confrontation.

Jarome goes to Darryl and says it's me or him. Darryl picks up the phone and starts the wheels moving to get Phaneuf out of town as quickly as possible. They did a really good job diffusing it with the media.

edit: this is still technically hearsay as I'm not saying I have definitive proof of it, but repeating what was told to me.

Last edited by Cole436; 06-18-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole436 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 12:25 AM   #77
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
I can confirm this story. From the mouth of a former Flames player on the team during that time.

From what I was told, a trainer accidentally saw texts on Phaneufs phone during a game from Conroy's wife saying they had to end it. The trainer told Conroy, who told Iginla, who then beat Phaneuf in the locker room (you may recall Iginla having a black eye about a week or two before the trade). I can't remember if Conroy was involved in that last part but there was definitely an Iginla/Phaneuf confrontation.

Jarome goes to Darryl and says it's me or him. Darryl picks up the phone and starts the wheels moving to get Phaneuf out of town as quickly as possible. They did a really good job diffusing it with the media.
:eek

Old 06-18-2019, 12:40 AM   #78
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
Nice ninja edit
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote