Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #2561
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it sounds like the robo-call that Mandel was complaining about earlier today wasn’t Stephen Mandel, but Stephen Harper?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #2562
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Did you vote Alberta party both times you voted?
Do you have to be a jackass when posting?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #2563
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I don't see how pipelines, if built, are anything but kicking the can down the road.

Alberta was actually diversifying decently at the tail end of the 90s and all of it got undone by the escalation of costs caused by another oil boom.

It seems lazy and unimaginative to think the solution to our economic problems is just to find a way to make another oil boom happen.

Alberta is producing 40% of Canada's GHG emissions and we are seeing the economics of renewables become more and more attractive.

We know oil is not going to be the long term solution. What if all the pipeline effort and money had been put toward sound steps toward diversification? Where would we be today?
Old 04-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #2564
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I don't see how pipelines, if built, are anything but kicking the can down the road.

Alberta was actually diversifying decently at the tail end of the 90s and all of it got undone by the escalation of costs caused by another oil boom.

It seems lazy and unimaginative to think the solution to our economic problems is just to find a way to make another oil boom happen.

Alberta is producing 40% of Canada's GHG emissions and we are seeing the economics of renewables become more and more attractive.

We know oil is not going to be the long term solution. What if all the pipeline effort and money had been put toward sound steps toward diversification? Where would we be today?
But what does that actually mean? I’m not disagreeing with you, because it makes sense and I think most people would say we need to be less reliant on this industry. But what I find head is the government role in that. I don’t want them choosing which companies to give money to. I also wonder about you “just diversify” the economy. It’s really complicated and a lot of the heavy lifting is done in the market and not by the government and political will.

I think that most of the discussion at its base is more about a diversification of government income. We rely on energy royalties and taxation and the government needs other income. To me, that’s not so much a question of diversifying the economy, but diversifying the tax-base. That’s easier, because it basically means a consumption tax, but of course that’s also political suicide at this stage (still!).
Old 04-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #2565
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So it sounds like the robo-call that Mandel was complaining about earlier today wasn’t Stephen Mandel, but Stephen Harper?

Yeah, I'm completely having my doubts about that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 04-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #2566
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
That last sentence . . . Not a chance in the world, Kenney is going to use the NDP as a scapegoat for every misgiving and shortcoming he encounters as Premier

Kinda like Notley did, kinda like Justin does to this day.

The one consistent rule in politics.

"Don't blame me, its the last guys fault"

Old 04-14-2019, 08:20 PM   #2567
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Kinda like Notley did, kinda like Justin does to this day.

The one consistent rule in politics.

"Don't blame me, its the last guys fault"
It's a pay it forward situation
Old 04-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #2568
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Sure, go nuts. Nobody is stopping you from investing are they? What do you mean by economics of renewables being more attractive? Could you be more specific? Which ones types of alternatives?

Personally I think the carbon capture and storage / transition into alternate fuels or blending agents is the right idea / future.

Also I don’t think you’ll get many people or any people disagreeing on diversity in our economy. Houston diversified from oil and gas in the ‘90’s into health care / research successfully. It doesn’t mean oil and gas must die though. That’s the part I don’t get. Why do we have to absolutely obliterate one industry for another? It seems like that’s how people think.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #2569
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I'm completely having my doubts about that.
Which way? I think it was the recording of Harper and people got it mixed up to think it was Mandel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #2570
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

UCP member but voted Alberta Party for the first time in my life. Couldn't support Kenney. They could have had just about any other candidate and I would have voted UCP.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:58 PM   #2571
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Oil and gas industry is evolving, new technologies are emerging and some of that is being driven by Canadian Oil and Gas companies, which are amongst the most ethical and environmentally responsible Oil and Gas producers in the world.
If you truly care about human rights and the the environment, you'd much rater see Canadian companies succeed and continue to be able to fund and develop these technologies rather than watch as companies in Russia, South America, China, the Middle East and the USA continue to increase the amount of Oil and Gas they produce with much worse environmental records and much less accountability.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #2572
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish I could support the Alberta party but they couldn’t even be bothered to file their financial paperwork on time. A lot of their candidates, including mandel faced a 5 year ban from running for office. Probably not a good idea to hand them the reins to the province.

Also really hate the way they turfed Greg Clark. He wins the first seat in their history, they’ve got all the momentum, and they rip the carpet out from under him to satisfy all the former PC members jumping ship? Brutal.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #2573
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
A great example is the Carbon Tax. It was originally created to go towards green projects but now it goes into general revenue where she can spend it on whatever she wants. Some debt is fine but what she has done is ridiculous.
i generally enjoy your posts, but suggesting that one person can actually control government spending like this in today's governments is either incredibly lazy thinking or very naive on your part.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #2574
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Which way? I think it was the recording of Harper and people got it mixed up to think it was Mandel.

I have my doubts that it was Harper, has it been confirmed?

If it has, then I'm wrong, but the guy is way too busy to care, or create a backlash.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #2575
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
I wish I could support the Alberta party but they couldn’t even be bothered to file their financial paperwork on time. A lot of their candidates, including mandel faced a 5 year ban from running for office. Probably not a good idea to hand them the reins to the province.
There was a misunderstanding of the deadline submission, it included Mandel and 5 other AP candidates. All have been absolved of any wrongdoing. The situation and the resolution are all written down and documented now in the media. Will that really be your litmus test? What about platform and policies?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #2576
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have my doubts that it was Harper, has it been confirmed?

If it has, then I'm wrong, but the guy is way too busy to care, or create a backlash.
I heard from people (I didn't get the call), that Harper recorded a message in support of Kenney. This seems like a good idea for Kenney and the UCP. I think that someone thought it was Mandel though, and they were premature in asking the RCMP to investigate.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #2577
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:

I am 100% of the mindset that liquid hydrocarbon fuels are not Alberta's long term path to prosperity. We need to THOUGHTFULLY and URGENTLY diversify while still using our strengths.

That being said, even under the most optimistic green forecasts there will be a market for oil and Alberta should be chasing that market WHILE building on existing strengths for new markets, new uses for inputs etc. I mean if people need oil, why shouldn't it be Albertan oil (vs Saudi, Russian or Venezuelan).

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Old 04-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #2578
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Sure, go nuts. Nobody is stopping you from investing are they? What do you mean by economics of renewables being more attractive? Could you be more specific? Which ones types of alternatives?

Personally I think the carbon capture and storage / transition into alternate fuels or blending agents is the right idea / future.

Also I don’t think you’ll get many people or any people disagreeing on diversity in our economy. Houston diversified from oil and gas in the ‘90’s into health care / research successfully. It doesn’t mean oil and gas must die though. That’s the part I don’t get. Why do we have to absolutely obliterate one industry for another? It seems like that’s how people think.
We don't...that's why I love innovations like in-situ hydrogen generation from oilsands, or lithium from produced water, or seeing reservoir visualization algorithms repurposed into medical imaging.

You CAN'T replace the energy sector...you CAN stand on its shoulders and develop products and services that address other markets.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #2579
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
There was a misunderstanding of the deadline submission, it included Mandel and 5 other AP candidates. All have been absolved of any wrongdoing. The situation and the resolution are all written down and documented now in the media. Will that really be your litmus test? What about platform and policies?
Yes absolutely. Their excuse was the guy who was supposed to submit it was sick. Sick as he may have been, to me it shows incompetence that they couldn’t be bothered to have someone else step up in his absence. Except that they claim they did have others step in... and then still couldn’t meet the deadline? At that point, the platform (as much as I like it)is irrelevant to me because my faith in them to implement it is shot.

Last edited by shogged; 04-14-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #2580
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
We don't...that's why I love innovations like in-situ hydrogen generation from oilsands, or lithium from produced water, or seeing reservoir visualization algorithms repurposed into medical imaging.

You CAN'T replace the energy sector...you CAN stand on its shoulders and develop products and services that address other markets.
I don’t think lithium from produced water is happening. Concentrations I don’t think are high enough to be commercial I don’t think, but we’ll see.
Closed Thread