Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 11-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #61
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I don't want to out 1%er Caniehdianman here but I have two kids in daycare at about that cost (as do many of our friends). It is an absolute gong show and as he said, I'm 100% this day care is not aimed at me and my peers and I'm somehow going to end up getting screwed.
Us 1%ers need to stick together.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #62
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
amusing numbers. I pay over $1500 a month for my 2.5 year old daughter to go to daycare 5 days a week.

that average must include kids that are only in for 1-2 days a week.

As an aside, I'm sure the fact that I have a good job will exempt me from any savings. and there will be a "daycare premium" added onto my fees. Thanks Notley.
I did quite a bit of shopping around before I put my kids in daycare. I think you could go from about $650/month dayhome to $1900 for full time pre school.

Prices actually follow property values allot, so you go to one of the bigger chains, they might charge $1500+ for a spot in their downtown location and ~$1000 for the same package in Cochran.

About $800 / month as a average doesn't surprise me that much, there are probably allot of people find creative ways to reduce their cost, because realistically putting two children under 5 in full time daycare could easily cost most families over half of their income after taxes.

I no people who do 2-3 days a week and work different schedules to get around it. I know people who have staggered shifts and only pay for 4-6 hours a day. people who lean on retired grand parents allot to reduce the hours they are paying for.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #63
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Our daycare bill was $38,000 last year for 2 kids. Due to the design of the city and the suburbs who want yheir kids at arms reach all day, inner city/downtown daycare is extremely expensive. I was lucky to get us a spot at a good one downtown only because my company paid for the privilege of sponsoring their employees for exclusive spots. Otherwise we woild have been on the wait list forever.

That is more than the most expensive private school in Calgary. I can't even say it is amazing either. They are good, but really the workers are such a small piece of the cost, the lease is a huge cost as is the demand. Their the same ladies from any other daycare for better or worse. So I struggle with the mysterious bumps and cuts when we pick them up just like people at cheap dayhomes get. It is just I have to sign a fancy report.

I agree the gov't should cap daycare charges for everyone, but also mandate that space must be alloted at a reasonable rate in high demand centres and subsidize that too. That way the landlord and the business wins and so do parents who want to be with their kids.

Sounds expensive but honestly wouldn't imagine it would cost more than some of the other pet projects we rarely hear about.

Last edited by OldDutch; 11-15-2016 at 09:24 PM.
OldDutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #64
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think they should just relax the regulations around staff to kid ratios, and some of the requirements around what spaces are allowed to be used for daycares. The problem is artificial barriers to entry which are restricting the supply.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #65
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always love the "be responsible and pay for your own goddamn kids or don't have 'em" griping, as if all of us didn't have 13 years of subsidized daycare/schooling when we were kids. And then subsidized post-secondary available to us after that.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #66
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Is it even remotely possibly to run a daycare on $25/day/kid?

If it isn't why should it be subsidized to that point?
Because affordable day care is how you get more women in the work force and create a better economy. Because day care shouldn't drive families to poverty. I could go on but why?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #67
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

What grinds me is that the feds insist you can write off 7 grand per kid under 6 off the lowest income.

We pay 1540 a month for before and after school care for a 6 year old in grade 1 and an 18 month old. Back in June it was 1800.

At that price even at $30 an hour for the second income it's not worth working.

Problem is in today's work place you becone a dinosaur if you miss one year of work let alone 5. It's 6 more years of being broke and hoping we both still have jobs on the other side.

I doubt this $25 a day thing will work as is intended. They need to increase the number of qualified people whIle slashing costs and attempting to price fix the market that is day homes?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #68
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I think they should just relax the regulations around staff to kid ratios, and some of the requirements around what spaces are allowed to be used for daycares. The problem is artificial barriers to entry which are restricting the supply.
For older kids perhaps, but those ratios seem about right for the infant/toddler years.

What sort of space requirements are there? As in type of space/zoning? Or a kid to sq foot ratio?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #69
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I don't want to out 1%er Caniehdianman here but I have two kids in daycare at about that cost (as do many of our friends). It is an absolute gong show and as he said, I'm 100% this day care is not aimed at me and my peers and I'm somehow going to end up getting screwed.
Rachel wouldnt have it any other way.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:16 PM   #70
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I teach elementary school. I wish I got $25 per day per kid!!!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:17 PM   #71
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I teach elementary school. I wish I got $25 per day per kid!!!
Sure, we could do it just like a barber-shop, you rent the classroom and pay the utilities from the Government, provide the supplies and get the kids through the door and you can have your $25/day.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #72
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sure, we could do it just like a barber-shop, you rent the classroom and pay the utilities from the Government, provide the supplies and get the kids through the door and you can have your $25/day.
On second thought, I'm good!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:25 PM   #73
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Rachel wouldnt have it any other way.
That's Madam Premier to you.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:25 PM   #74
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
On second thought, I'm good!
Yeah, yeah, its all fun and games until you have to find your own customers, you'd be amazed at how many people would just let their kids grow up stupid. Especially when they could still just get jobs as NDP MLAs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2016, 06:47 AM   #75
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'm not sure what it would take to convince you that the cost of raising kids has an impact on the birth rate. Anecdotally, parents I know have cited cost as the reason not to have a 2nd or 3rd child.
I'll give you a hint: the plural of anecdote is not data.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:58 AM   #76
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Our daycare bill was $38,000 last year for 2 kids. Due to the design of the city and the suburbs who want yheir kids at arms reach all day, inner city/downtown daycare is extremely expensive. I was lucky to get us a spot at a good one downtown only because my company paid for the privilege of sponsoring their employees for exclusive spots. Otherwise we woild have been on the wait list forever.

That is more than the most expensive private school in Calgary. I can't even say it is amazing either. They are good, but really the workers are such a small piece of the cost, the lease is a huge cost as is the demand. Their the same ladies from any other daycare for better or worse. So I struggle with the mysterious bumps and cuts when we pick them up just like people at cheap dayhomes get. It is just I have to sign a fancy report.

I agree the gov't should cap daycare charges for everyone, but also mandate that space must be alloted at a reasonable rate in high demand centres and subsidize that too. That way the landlord and the business wins and so do parents who want to be with their kids.

Sounds expensive but honestly wouldn't imagine it would cost more than some of the other pet projects we rarely hear about.
Get a nanny if you are out of pocket almost $40k per year.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #77
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Yeah that's crazy. I had a full time Phillipino nanny I paid $2k a month, and she cleaned the house and did all the laundry in addition to childcare. She showed up at 730am, fed the kids, got one ready for school (other 2 were toddlers) and started cleaning. When I came home the kids were all bathed, fed and ready for bed. It was amazing.

Although that was before the minimum wage increase so I thinks it's gone up a bit.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #78
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look forward to 2031, when a new Alberta NDP government will retroactively claim that the $25/day fee was in fact $2,500/day and come after all these families for the difference and interest.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #79
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just a heads up for those with kids turning 5: If you think your childcare expenses are going to be halved when half-day kindergarten starts, think again. After school care from someone who is willing to feed/tutor your kid can be 2/3 to 3/4 the cost of full day.

As much of a raging capitalist that I am, I think this is a step in the right direction. More supply to meet the demand is good.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #80
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:

As people have been pointing out, childcare costs depend on a lot of variables. Considering these people are taking care of your child all day, you have to balance the quality of the place with cost, as well as what works for your family. So it's not really crazy to me that a range of maybe $700-$1800 exists for full time care.
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote