Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #161
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
God I hope not. That would be crushing, especially if Point was the difference maker. I spent most of the first 6 months of 2014 hoping that the Flames would draft the local kid and then we passed. Now he is on pace for 103 points.
Na, I would rather the Flames play Toronto and beat them in the final.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #162
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Still need a middle six centre in my estimation.

If you put Stastny or O'Reilly or Adam Henrique or Carter on this lineup, I'd say they were cup contenders for sure.

This Jeff Carter idea intrigues me for a cup run. Not sure what LA would want. He is getting up there in years though.

Second line of Tkachuck, Carter and Neal

Third line of Bennett Backlund and Frolik when ever they are healthy.

Last edited by Psytic; 12-10-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #163
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Could see a 2019 path run through Minnesota, San Jose, Avalanche then Lightning.

Which would be favorable to the Flames, at least until Tampa. Strangely enough though we play top eastern teams extremely well.

Honestly starting to feel like the 15 year rule is a thing. 89-->04-->18. Flames must make the Finals.

Nah. Oil sneak in on crappy trap wins and we annihilate them in the first round. Then steamroll the ducks in round 2 to get that monkey firmly off our backs. Beat the Jets for the conference, and beat TBL in game 6. Sam Bennett with game winning goal, not disallowed.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #164
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Nah. Oil sneak in on crappy trap wins and we annihilate them in the first round. Then steamroll the ducks in round 2 to get that monkey firmly off our backs. Beat the Jets for the conference, and beat TBL in game 6. Sam Bennett with game winning goal, not disallowed.
And Smith wins the Conn Smythe. What a timeline.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #165
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Usually I don't care for the NHL.com "Super 16 Power Rankings" ... and I still don't, but they have Calgary pegged at 6th.

And while I could put the rose colour glasses on and say "Are you ####ing stupid the Flames are easily top 3!!!!".... but I won't.

It's almost unreal to see them floating in the top 10 for that debate. I have to check the league standings every 15 minutes to make sure I'm not dreaming. The Flames have been sitting in the top 10 for points for the last 2 weeks now, and they are now putting space between them and other teams sitting rather comfortably at 3rd in the league.

I've felt this feeling in flashes over the last 4-5 years, but it hasn't ever lasted this long, and it has me so happy humbled to be a Flames fan considering where this team would finish in the standings for the last 4-5 years.

I'm not gonna be the one to jinx it, but this team really has me hoping April comes soon! Go Flames Go!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #166
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having a top line on pace for 291pts collectively and signed for multiple more years for a cap hit under $18m sure helps.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:50 PM   #167
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Right now, the only way you could not consider the Flames contenders is if you conceding the cup to Tampa.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #168
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Right now, the only way you could not consider the Flames contenders is if you conceding the cup to Tampa.
I don't know if my heart could take another Tampa/Calgary final. Losing the Cup to those arseholes twice would just be the worst feeling ever. But then again, beating them would be oh so sweet.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #169
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

No question they’re contenders.

Most eastern media will label them as a dark horse team, they won’t get a contender label until they prove they’re legit and force the easterners to actually watch a few games.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #170
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
after a long review with Gary looking for every possible angle that could show the puck not in
Old 12-16-2018, 11:14 PM   #171
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I guess the Flames are contenders, if you're sitting top 5, top 3, or whatever at Christmas you should be at least a contender. It got me wondering if the Flames don't go far this season how much longer can they keep this core together for another run or two or three. So this is how long the core players are signed through:

Gaudreau: '21-22
Monahan: 22-23
Backliund: 23-24
Lindholm: 23-24
Bennett & Tkachuk are RFAs after this season.

Gio: 21-22
Brodie: 19-20
Hamonic: 19-20
Hanifin: 23-24

Smith: UFA after this season
Rittich: RFA after this season

So.........a pretty huge chunk of the team is signed for at least another year or two after this one. Obviously Tkachuk is the biggest contract coming up, he'll cash in big time after this season. But Smith will almost certainly come off the books. Rittich should get a decent contract after this season. If the team wants to sign or trade for a decent goalie to tandem with Rittich he'll have to move some salary after getting Tkachuk signed. (Frolik, Stone?)

Anyways, just late night ramblings. The Flames are set up pretty well for the near future. Even if they are just contenders this year there's no reason they can't be at least contenders or better in the next 2 or 3 years. Future looks pretty damn bright.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 11:16 PM   #172
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
after a long review with Gary looking for every possible angle that could show the puck not in
Gary who?

If you mean Bettman, the war room is in Toronto, which is, last I heard, in Canada. Bettman doesn't even know what street Canada is on – so they tell me.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:32 AM   #173
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I don't know if my heart could take another Tampa/Calgary final. Losing the Cup to those arseholes twice would just be the worst feeling ever. But then again, beating them would be oh so sweet.
Many of us would have anxiety and nasty flashbacks if it is a TB-CGY final. Let's take another run at the Habs in the SC Final.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:34 AM   #174
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Could see a 2019 path run through Minnesota, San Jose, Avalanche then Lightning.

Which would be favorable to the Flames, at least until Tampa. Strangely enough though we play top eastern teams extremely well.

Honestly starting to feel like the 15 year rule is a thing. 89-->04-->18. Flames must make the Finals.
Don't forget about 86.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #175
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bennett can also get the GWG against the Ducks, not disallowed.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #176
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
...the war room is in Toronto, which is, last I heard, in Canada.

Despite the city’s best efforts to earn the label of American.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #177
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Good to see we're moving up in the power rankings

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...els-soordinary
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #178
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Good to see we're moving up in the power rankings

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...els-soordinary

Will save everyone the endless clicking....

Also they clearly have no idea WTF they're talking about. The only reason Rittich is back in the net is because Smith got hurt.

4. Calgary Flames

David Rittich for now seems to have taken control of the net in Calgary (.925 save percentage, 2.21 GAA, 11-3-1 record over Mike Smith's .888, 2.99, 11-7-1), but is he the long-term answer?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #179
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what's happening this season, but this is easily the best team in my adulthood and beyond.

When the season first started it was hoping we could make the playoffs, likely in a wildcard spot.

Then it was hoping we could win the division, finally get home ice.

Then we were leading the conference. Wait, we might win the conference? Ok, let's try for that.

Now we're in the tie for 2nd...overall. And only the Lightning ahead. Let's try and catch 'em!

This team can blow you out. They can win games where the lead changes. But most importantly, they can lock it down and win 1-0 or 2-1. I'm always weary of teams that have high powered offences, because usually they don't carry it over into the playoffs. But this version of the Flames seems to be able to win in every way possible.

And don't forget special teams. They are winning the special teams battle, which is winning them games.

This is still so surreal to me. Truthfully I'm still terrified the team might just drop off and have an epic collapse like other seasons. So I'll refrain from calling them true contenders for now. But there's just something special about this team. Even bad team's have a special season every now and then. Flames' haven't had one since really '04. They are due for one. Even when they won the division in '06, it was off the play of a Vezina/Hart caliber Kipper but still a terrible offence. Now we have both; strong D and strong O.

The real test will be after the all-star break. Will the rookies begin to tire out? Will injures disrupt chemistry in the top 6? Will Rittich still be the goalie he is now?

Lots of questions to answer before we can say if the Flames are true contenders or not. I've had my heart broken far too many times to label them this early. But...things looks good.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 12-17-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #180
vicarious
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

To echo the thoughts of others the 89 Flames were easily the best team in the NHL and steamrolled their way to the Stanley cup. It would have been a surprise if they had not won. Every time they got a powerplay you just knew they were going to score, they were that good. Still even then, people harped on guys like Vernon and Suter and then shortly after Gilmour was run out of town for asking to be paid 1 million per season.

The last time the Flames looked this good at this point in the season it was 08-09. They were first in the division and everyone called them the best Flames team in years. But Keenan didn't really believe in practicing or structure and then injuries piled up, we fell down the standings to finish with 98 points and ended up losing to Chicago in the first round.
vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vicarious For This Useful Post: