Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2018, 08:05 AM   #41
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The lumbering Pacific division is not a great fit for the Flames anyway. They are 5-2 against the Central while being only 5-4 vs the Pacific. Also last season the Flames were below .500 in the Pacific and 11-8-2 against the Central. IMO finishing 1st and not playing the Ducks or Sharks is probably a good thing for the Flames as they just don't match up well against those teams.
I agree about the Ducks, but the Flames match up just fine against the Sharks. Last season was an anomaly in their season series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:51 AM   #42
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Up to this point it really is no good. Edmonton is forcing their way into the top 3 and they are terrible.

If we finish top 2 in the division theres absolutely no reason to not like our chances in round 1. Go Flames Go.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:37 AM   #43
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
The NHL should eliminate these silly divisions and just go to 2 conferences.
I am wondering what would the benefit be.

Sorry, I am honestly curious and was trying to think of how to frame it without sounding contrary or blunt, but I suck at that sometimes...lol. I haven't thought about it that much and am used to there always being divisions. I am trying to imagine how 2 conferences would change things.

I am not for divisions necessarily, but they have their purpose. I think they try to promote rivalries and help with travel schedules. Is it because 2 conferences would help sort out the good teams from the weak teams?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #44
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Divisions create rivalries, which is great.

The downside is that, once in a while, you might get a really weak division, and thus an unworthy team sneaking into the playoffs.

But if you look at the numbers from year to year, that really doesn't happen much, if at all. Especially now, with 8 teams in each division, the chance of not getting at least 3 decent teams in each one is really low.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #45
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to believe that, after 27 games, San Jose still has a negative goal differential.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #46
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I've learned over the years to NEVER count out Anaheim. They often look terrible for the first half and then input some sort of cheat code into the system and become nearly unbeatable in the second half of the season. I'm betting they're one of the top 3 teams in the division by the end of the season.
Yup. I am guessing it'll be Calgary, Anaheim, San Jose and Vegas from the Pacific who are in at the end in no particular order.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #47
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Hard to believe that, after 27 games, San Jose still has a negative goal differential.
I guess, but honestly they have not been especially impressive for a while now. They had a dismal season in 2016–17, and even last year looked pretty pedestrian up to around the 50-game mark, and then the Kane trade gave them a short-term boost. They looked merely average in the playoffs, and while Karlsson was once one of the best players in the world, I do think his recent serious injuries have likely severely hampered his effectiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #48
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Up to this point it really is no good. Edmonton is forcing their way into the top 3 and they are terrible.

If we finish top 2 in the division theres absolutely no reason to not like our chances in round 1. Go Flames Go.
I might prefer they finish second and face a Pacific division rival than finish first and almost certainly play a Central division wild-card team.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do Dallas and Minnesota scare you that much? I would be more nervous against Anaheim.

I don't care who we play. Just keep getting better, finish as high as possible, and kick some ass in the playoffs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #50
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They are actually getting good production from Burns and a lot of their forwards but Jones and Karlsson have struggled mightily and Evander Kane is back to being Evander Kane after getting a big contract.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-02-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #51
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do Dallas and Minnesota scare you that much? I would be more nervous against Anaheim.

I don't care who we play. Just keep getting better, finish as high as possible, and kick some ass in the playoffs.
I would rather play the Preds in the playoffs than the Ducks. There's just too many things that can go wrong in a Flames vs Ducks series from officiating all the way down to bad luck and bounces going the Ducks way. Flames have matched up well against the Predators for a few seasons now.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #52
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ducks are 8-2 in their last 10... I hate them so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PlayfulGenius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #53
IGGYFORMVP
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hopefully the Caps whip the ducks good today. Up 2 - 0 in the first.
IGGYFORMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #54
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
No, they're 6-2-2

They won 2 of those games in OT and another in a SO. So 3 regulation wins in 10 games.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #55
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
Based on their games that I've seen, theiur underlying stats, etc, I think they are in an artificial bubble much like Vancouver was at the beginning of the season. Just like Vancouver, it's gonna pop.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #56
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Based on their games that I've seen, theiur underlying stats, etc, I think they are in an artificial bubble much like Vancouver was at the beginning of the season. Just like Vancouver, it's gonna pop.

I’d like to think so but historically they’ve always gotten better over the season so their underlying stats may catch up.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #57
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have great goaltending, good D overall, and strength at C.

They may not be great anymore, but they aren't going away this year.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I’d like to think so but historically they’ve always gotten better over the season so their underlying stats may catch up.
They are older, and have less talent than before. They are living off goaltending and have a good D.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #59
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Lots more hockey to be played.
Yes, but it's pretty obvious that even as teams figure their stuff out or fall off the map, the fact remains that the Pacific is the worst division in hockey. Which is fine; it spent a lot of time as the best division in hockey (particularly back when it was the NW division). It's someone else's turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I've learned over the years to NEVER count out Anaheim. They often look terrible for the first half and then input some sort of cheat code into the system and become nearly unbeatable in the second half of the season. I'm betting they're one of the top 3 teams in the division by the end of the season.
Nah. They went full Carlyle. You never go full Carlyle.

I know what you mean from the history of the team, but this year really is different. It's not just that they're an otherwise good team on paper that's banged up and their players don't have the skill to finish. They're actually abysmal, and the only reason they're not in the absolute basement is John Gibson. Goaltending's worth a lot. I would say the Sharks are the likely team to do an Anaheim impression this year - it's taking them a while to get any traction, but all of the signs are there of a good team. Once it clicks they should be at the top. If the Flames can get, to quote a great hockey mind, a god damn occasional save, they'll be up there as well. No one else is any good.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:44 AM   #60
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yes, but it's pretty obvious that even as teams figure their stuff out or fall off the map, the fact remains that the Pacific is the worst division in hockey. Which is fine; it spent a lot of time as the best division in hockey (particularly back when it was the NW division). It's someone else's turn.

Nah. They went full Carlyle. You never go full Carlyle.

I know what you mean from the history of the team, but this year really is different. It's not just that they're an otherwise good team on paper that's banged up and their players don't have the skill to finish. They're actually abysmal, and the only reason they're not in the absolute basement is John Gibson. Goaltending's worth a lot. I would say the Sharks are the likely team to do an Anaheim impression this year - it's taking them a while to get any traction, but all of the signs are there of a good team. Once it clicks they should be at the top. If the Flames can get, to quote a great hockey mind, a god damn occasional save, they'll be up there as well. No one else is any good.
Well this post didn't age very well!

Neither did this whole thread. Thanks for waking up the division OP.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post: