Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #201
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found a pretty good shot of Andersson in action tonight

Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 10:52 PM   #202
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a little too excited when Jankowski started to muck it up. Loved the edge in his game tonight.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #203
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Stockton wins 6-0 over the Sharks farm team.

Shinkaruk, Wotherspoon, Foo, Foo, Hrivik, Foo!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #204
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flames should have won but Anderson was a wall tonight. More efforts like this would be nice to see. 4th line playing with a minute to go in the 3rd was something the coach should stop.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #205
calbow
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Let's hope they have the legs and jump tomorrow..
calbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #206
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just managed to catch the tail end of the shootout: Nylander scores, Backlund misses (blech).

Glad to hear they've tightened things up defensively. Obviously missing Versteeg in the shootout; I was a little surprised that Backlund was picked (only one attempt in 2016/17 -- did not score; prior to that you have to go back to 2013/14 when he had two attempts, did not score on either). Janko might have been a better pick; it's too bad Johnny doesn't do all that well in shootouts (only 3 for 15 in his career including tonight).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 PM   #207
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Like I said i didnt watch, i was just commenting on the result.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #208
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Size wise jankowski looks huge compared to most players. Def like seeing some snarl from him.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:16 PM   #209
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Generally liked the Flames game. Thought the D was tight and quite liked, especially, Kulak and Hamonic - both held their positions well and made smart plays.

Can't believe how often Flames players were right in front of the Leaf net, facing it, and the puck ended up behind them - a couple of times it stopped dead. No one could swing around fast enough to swat it in.

Entertaining and relatively fast paced - a few sloppy plays, but both goalies were excellent and stopped very good close-in chances. Not much to complain about at all.

Thought the call on Johnny was made up b/c they missed the hold on the breakaway, so just called something that looked kind of similar. Oh well. On to Montreal with a point in the pockets.

Last edited by taxbuster; 12-06-2017 at 11:21 PM.
taxbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:25 PM   #210
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Size wise jankowski looks huge compared to most players. Def like seeing some snarl from him.
He looked like he wanted to skin and eat Polak.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:46 PM   #211
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Leafs looked a little bit slow tonight, and we punished them for it. That's IMO one of the big strengths of our current systems and playstyle: if the other team is a little off their game, we force a ton of turnovers and own the puck all game. Our offensive execution was still pretty iffy though. Lots of bobbled passes and a pretty slow counterattack. Felt like there was only a handful of clean scoring chances. Most of our dangerous chances were broken plays and bouncing pucks that landed in a dangerous area, which is the result of having the puck a lot but not necessarily a result of good execution.

Definitely something to build off of. A strong game by Brodie and Hamonic in particular should do wonders for their confidence. Also some of our best work all season on the PK. But some of the flaws I worry about are still there: we still struggled to exit our zone with speed, especially against a forecheck, and our execution with the puck wasn't great.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 PM   #212
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anderson 's best save was when he intentionally knocked the net off its posts. I love how the ref reviews it and says net was off so no goal. The NHL must consider it a good hockey play - all goalies should do it.

Last edited by Phaneuf_Phan; 12-07-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phaneuf_Phan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 12:04 AM   #213
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I got a little too excited when Jankowski started to muck it up. Loved the edge in his game tonight.
Agreed - He needs to do more of that. We don't need any more passive big bodies.
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #214
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really great game by the Flames. Defence was great. No turnovers. Quick outs. Craig Button just said if not for Andersen this game would have been a blowout.

As far as GG, might be just me but in the third he looked like a different coach. Kept coming back with the top line when the face offs were in the Leafs end. Used Janko and Co. well. More of this please Glenn.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #215
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
At some point, the bounces have to go this team's way. They're playing really good hockey again. No luck again tonight.
Ahahahahaha you're ridiculous, honestly. Did the Flames play a great game? Yes. Was it GG's fault we lost this one? Definitely not.

But to say 'we're playing great hockey again' after one good game is asinine. Especially after w got our asses whooped by the Leafs, Oilers and Flyers at home.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:23 AM   #216
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
Ahahahahaha you're ridiculous, honestly. Did the Flames play a great game? Yes. Was it GG's fault we lost this one? Definitely not.

But to say 'we're playing great hockey again' after one good game is asinine. Especially after w got our asses whooped by the Leafs, Oilers and Flyers at home.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
Oh please. Move the goal posts where ever you’d like. In the last 5, we shutout a team 3-0 with shots 30-11. We got caved in twice by two canadian teams yet nearly fought back in one, chincy goals going both ways. Then back breaks costs us a great effort against a team due for a win. Oh then bad breaks again cost us a point against a “juggernaut” we dominated all night. A couple break our way and a few more point for and this slump looks like a streak. Flames are basically .500 last 5 games the way I see it. Be hyperbolic if you want but they are likely a lot closer to being “great again” than being poverty mode.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #217
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Just managed to catch the tail end of the shootout: Nylander scores, Backlund misses (blech).

Glad to hear they've tightened things up defensively. Obviously missing Versteeg in the shootout; I was a little surprised that Backlund was picked (only one attempt in 2016/17 -- did not score; prior to that you have to go back to 2013/14 when he had two attempts, did not score on either). Janko might have been a better pick; it's too bad Johnny doesn't do all that well in shootouts (only 3 for 15 in his career including tonight).
To me it did look like Johnny had Andersen beat 5-hole though, if he only hadn't bobbled the puck on his attempt.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #218
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did think Jankowski had a great game. Was hoping he would be picked for the shootout.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:28 AM   #219
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Oh please. Move the goal posts where ever you’d like. In the last 5, we shutout a team 3-0 with shots 30-11. We got caved in twice by two canadian teams yet nearly fought back in one, chincy goals going both ways. Then back breaks costs us a great effort against a team due for a win. Oh then bad breaks again cost us a point against a “juggernaut” we dominated all night. A couple break our way and a few more point for and this slump looks like a streak. Flames are basically .500 last 5 games the way I see it. Be hyperbolic if you want but they are likely a lot closer to being “great again” than being poverty mode.

Talk about moving goalposts....

You can see it anyway you like but the FACT is that they are not .500. They are 1-3-1 with 18GA in that time span. They got blown out by the Leafs, they got blown out by the Oilers (anyone other than Broissoit in net, Flames don't score those flukey goals.) and they got blown out by the Flyers. Yeah, all signs of greatness...

The Flames played fantastic tonight. There is absolutely no doubt about that. However, one great game doesn't suddenly make them play "great hockey". A bad team can play great and win a single game, a great team can play a bad game and lose. What separates them is consistency. A great team will play great more often than not. Can you HONESTLY say that the Flames played great more often than not under Gulutzan?

Last edited by nemanja2306; 12-07-2017 at 12:35 AM.
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:35 AM   #220
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Stockton wins 6-0 over the Sharks farm team.

Shinkaruk, Wotherspoon, Foo, Foo, Hrivik, Foo!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post: