Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #81
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Can anyone comment on Tampa and Miami? I heard Tampa is a dump from one person. Not sure if true.
I have never been to Tampa, but one of my friends has only great things to say about the place. The beaches are supposed to be incredible.

I've been to Miami twice now and I absolutely love the place. Miami is more of a Latin American city than a US city. You won't really get it unless you go, but I've heard some refer to it as the cultural capital of Latin America.... And I totally believe them.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #82
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Tampa proper is not that exciting, but Clearwater Beach and St Pete are awesome. The beaches on the gulf side of Florida are much nicer IMO.

Miami is fun, but I prefer Ft Lauderdale for the restaurants/shopping/walking in the Los Olas canals. Plus it is fun to stare at the multi million dollar yachts and the italian sports cars.
yes totally agree

if the question is where would I rather live, or where would I rather take a family beach holiday then then answer would be the greater Tampa area/Gulf coast (although possibly not Tampa per se which doesn't do much for me)

if its where I would rather spend an urban holiday then Miami and surrounding areas
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #83
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post

I've been to Miami twice now and I absolutely love the place. Miami is more of a Latin American city than a US city. You won't really get it unless you go, but I've heard some refer to it as the cultural capital of Latin America.... And I totally believe them.
can confirm

was in Miami July 4, 2018. Very little evidence that it was actually July 4

However, that day there was a little soccer game known as the Colombia- Brazil world cup Quarterfinal being played. oh my what fun! we were out and about and took up a location between a pro-Brazil and pro-Colombia bar each with overflowing patios

it would have been hard to guess that one was in the US that day
Old 04-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #84
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Surprised (and glad) to see Boston listed so many times.

I was in this group thing a few weeks ago and an ice breaker was "what is a city you'd like to re-visit? When I said Boston among all the 'Berlins,' 'Londons,' and 'Romes' pretty much everybody's head turned with one eyebrow raised, casuing me to question how far i'd come in rehab. Granted, they all had brain issues too, so i figured it was possible they were the ones who were off kilter.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #85
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boston is awesome, especially when the trip is mostly tax deductible.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #86
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Boston is definitely an awesome city, unless you are driving. Good lord what a nightmare those roads are.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #87
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
Boston is definitely an awesome city, unless you are driving. Good lord what a nightmare those roads are.
I was t-boned by the wife of the Boston Police Chief just as I was driving out of the city.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:10 PM   #88
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Minneapolis, Nashville, San Diego, Phoenix, Orlando, basically every city in Texas, Washington DC, Honolulu, Boston.
I'd say San Diego is probably the best overall.

Definitely not St. Louis, Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit, any of the Ohio cities, Hartford. I don't live in the best part of the country...
Why definitely not Indianapolis? I thought the Children's Museum and Sports Legends Experience was truly world class. We had so much fun there and pretty much closed the place down. Saw a minor league baseball game at Victory Field, and thought that was a beautiful ballpark for a minor league team. The team gets great support from the city (the place was packed when we were there) and all the fans were very friendly even though it was pretty clear we were not from around there as we were the only non-white people in the stands as far as we could see. Got a tour of the Indy Motor Speedway and the museum was also pretty interesting. Monument Circle and the Downtown Canal makes for fun walks. Pretty diverse restaurant scene. And a very clean city to boot with friendly people everywhere and we never had a problem with traffic. That midwestern politeness is no joke. Also a very inexpensive city compared to Chicago three hours north.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:02 AM   #89
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Favourite places so far are New York, Boston, and Anaheim.

I think a really underrated place to go is Philadelphia. I only spent a day there but I loved it.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #90
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Favourite places so far are New York, Boston, and Anaheim.

I think a really underrated place to go is Philadelphia. I only spent a day there but I loved it.
yeah for random reasons, mostly work, have been to Philly several times and don't mind it. there is defintely stuff to do there. have not taken in a sporting even there yet- I think I'm brave enough to try!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #91
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
New Orleans is a giant open air sewer. I hate everything about that place. The food is severely over rated and the crime is third world levels of bad.
I'm from a third world country and I feel like this statement might not be true.

I've been to New Orleans and while it's not my favourite in the US, I'd go back for sure and certainly will be as my cousin now operates a music studio there.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:05 AM   #92
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Loved New Orleans! Had a blast there and found it super friendly and would go back in a heart beat. Been to half a dozen places, Boston, Chicago, LA, Seattle, Denver and Vegas and they are all great but New Orleans was my favourite. Will be in San Diego later in the year and I hear nothing but good things about it.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:09 AM   #93
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To each their own I guess...

I'm also originally from a third world country and lived in New Orleans for a year. The place is an absolute dump. Aside from a couple of streets in the French Quarter and Magazine Street, the place is a crime ridden hell hole that consistently smells like open sewage. Aside from that, it's dark, gloomy and muggy for half the year. The murder rate is in the top 30 world wide. Taxes are some of the highest in the US. The schools are worse than most third world countries (I'm not exaggerating, look it up). Shopping there sucks and the touristy stuff gets old pretty quick. Outside of the French Quarter, the city is mind numbingly boring.

The day I left was the best day of my life.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:22 AM   #94
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
yes totally agree

if the question is where would I rather live, or where would I rather take a family beach holiday then then answer would be the greater Tampa area/Gulf coast (although possibly not Tampa per se which doesn't do much for me)

if its where I would rather spend an urban holiday then Miami and surrounding areas
St Pete Beach wins hands down over Miami. Beach is white sand and beautiful full of laid back beach bars. Miami is more of an urban feel with upscale restaurants everything is expensive. I remember walking out of a heat playoff game and walking through downtown back to our condo about 45 min walk and we didn’t see a single person. We only found one pub open that was empty. It’s just a strange place.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:27 AM   #95
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

1. NYC - I wouldn’t particularly want to live there unless I was a billionaire, but there is nowhere else like it. It’s a crazy place. Really feels like you’re at the center of the world.

2. Boston - Just an awesome city in every way. Hilarious people, interesting history, beautiful place. I would live there in a heartbeat.

I also really like Detroit, Chicago, and DC. Detroit’s so interesting to visit these days. Chicago is a very cool place, and DC is a surprisingly liveable and nice place to visit.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #96
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
Typically, there’s a negative correlation between “great city to drive” and “great city”. There’s very few places on earth that are truly great, and an easy place to drive.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #97
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Typically, there’s a negative correlation between “great city to drive” and “great city”. There’s very few places on earth that are truly great, and an easy place to drive.
Great cities to drive:
- Houston
- Edmonton
- Wichita

Cities with terrible traffic:
- London
- Paris
- Boston
- New York

One list is not like the other.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #98
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
It's because cars are awful and infrastructure created to support them makes a city basically unlivable.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #99
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

My current city - Montreal - is a pretty good example of an interesting city with traffic nightmares. Part of it is just age - this city (like London, NYC, Boston) grew large long before cars were commonplace, so they never planned for it. But it also made it dense, and more modern cities just can't recreate the "interesting" level of a dense older city.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #100
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
My current city - Montreal - is a pretty good example of an interesting city with traffic nightmares. Part of it is just age - this city (like London, NYC, Boston) grew large long before cars were commonplace, so they never planned for it. But it also made it dense, and more modern cities just can't recreate the "interesting" level of a dense older city.
Sure, they can. Tons of examples all over Asia.