Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #601
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Tampa, Calgary, Boston, Washington, San Jose, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and Winnipeg all go out in the first round, it'll mean 8 of the top 10 teams in the regular season will have been bounced in the first round. Has that ever happened before in NHL history?
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #602
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames should consider sitting Neal and Jankowski while bringing in Dube and Czarnik. They would add some speed to the lineup and Janko/Neal have been useless
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 11:31 PM   #603
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some problems aside, this season is still a success no matter what happens in this series. If we'd been told last September that the Flames would not only make the playoffs but have the second-best record in the league, probably a lot of fans would have been thrilled. It's doubtful anyone who works for or follows the team expected (that being the key word) a Cup in 2019, or even a Finals appearance.

Obviously the playoffs have not been anything to get thrilled about. Still, overall, this year's been a good step for the franchise.

What concerns me is the top forwards' play over the last couple of months (outside of a handful of games). And that's food for later on.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:51 AM   #604
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
Some problems aside, this season is still a success no matter what happens in this series. If we'd been told last September that the Flames would not only make the playoffs but have the second-best record in the league, probably a lot of fans would have been thrilled. It's doubtful anyone who works for or follows the team expected (that being the key word) a Cup in 2019, or even a Finals appearance.

Obviously the playoffs have not been anything to get thrilled about. Still, overall, this year's been a good step for the franchise.

What concerns me is the top forwards' play over the last couple of months (outside of a handful of games). And that's food for later on.
If we lose in 7 or even 6 id be fine with calling it a satisfactory season but if we lose in 5 id call it a failure. Losing in 5 to a team that wouldnt even make the playoffs with their points in most years while having home ice advantage is embarrassing anyway you spin it (i still think we win the series but if we lose tomorrow its bad).
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:04 AM   #605
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The regular season sorts things out by how much talent a team has.

It has nothing to do with how good a team is.

The Flames are a very talented team.

The Flames are not a "good" team.

Right now, what I see this team needing is a top 6 Center, a top 6 RW, and a goalie (Smith after his performance would be perfectly fine returning to split duties with Rittich, otherwise get someone equal or better)

Just like with Frolik, Backlund is not a good option as a 2nd line center. If either is above being on the 3rd line, you have certain issues. With Monahan not being great as a 1st line C, the Flames really need a high quality 2nd line C.

The Flames will need to go out and get those two things this offseason. Getting Zucker would accomplish task #1 of getting a top six RW. They would only need to get a decent quality C. With trading chips like Brodie available, the Flames have some options at their avail.

The Flames are immensely talented as a whole. Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Backlund Giordano, Hanifin, Hamonic, Andersson, Valimaki is a great group of players. Once again, they need a few other parts to make this team truly dangerous.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 04-19-2019 at 01:23 AM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:22 AM   #606
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I'd gladly exchange the teams regular season finish with 2,3, WC1 or WC2, if it meant post season success (assuming they indeed lose to Colorado).

Although the core is still young, they've been around for 4/5 years. The post season performances have seen no significant improvement, both individually or from a team perspective. When faced with adversity or pressure they have yet to deliver and seem to crumble, that is crucial in the development to get into the next tier, where they can truly be considered a cup threat.

Was hoping that this year they would show the moment isn't to big for them. Here is hoping they shock the world and turn it around.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 01:26 AM   #607
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think the Flames should consider sitting Neal and Jankowski while bringing in Dube and Czarnik. They would add some speed to the lineup and Janko/Neal have been useless
Add Monahan to the list as well, he is the number one drag to a line right now, Quine would be better, yes, I said it. an AHL'er would likely look better than Monahan
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:41 AM   #608
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I'd gladly exchange the teams regular season finish with 2,3, WC1 or WC2, if it meant post season success (assuming they indeed lose to Colorado).

Although the core is still young, they've been around for 4/5 years. The post season performances have seen no significant improvement, both individually or from a team perspective. When faced with adversity or pressure they have yet to deliver and seem to crumble, that is crucial in the development to get into the next tier, where they can truly be considered a cup threat.

Was hoping that this year they would show the moment isn't to big for them. Here is hoping they shock the world and turn it around.
Absolutely, postseason success means way more than regular season success. In the Flames' case this year, I don't know that a first-round defeat negates their fine regular season, though.

Things looked bleak as recently as 6-9 months ago. They'd come off a poor 17-18 season, had no picks in the first two rounds of the draft, goaltending was in serious doubt, etc.

Unless this past regular season was a serious aberration (possible but unlikely), this team looks primed to make the playoffs regularly, provided they find some stable goaltending if Rittich can't do it. Barring a comeback in this series, it's now time to mold it into a unit that gets it done in the playoffs. Easier said than done? Maybe, but at least we shouldn't be suffering through missing the playoffs by considerable margins.

Last edited by Spinach; 04-19-2019 at 01:44 AM. Reason: clarity
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:45 AM   #609
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post

The Flames will need to go out and get those two things this offseason. Getting Zucker would accomplish task #1 of getting a top six RW. They would only need to get a decent quality C. With trading chips like Brodie available, the Flames have some options at their avail.

Isn't Zucker a LW? The Flames do need to get faster up front, preferably with a RH shot.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:25 AM   #610
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't Zucker a LW? The Flames do need to get faster up front, preferably with a RH shot.
IIRC he can play both sides.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #611
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

Calgary has blown two LATE leads and lost in OT. This series could easily be 3-1 the other way. Funny thing is, we haven't seen the Flames are their best, not even close.
Neal looks like he is 48 years old.
Jankowski and Monahan look SO SLOW, and are both ineffective.

Colorado is skating circles around Calgary.

Flames are going to get fired up, and turn this thing around starting tonight.

My prediction : Flames 5-0
Neal, Monahan(2) , Jankowski, Gio

Flames are going to force a game 6, and then it gets interesting.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #612
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

From Darren Haynes' breakdown of the ot goal the other night on the athletic:

Look at all the space Hamonic gives Soderberg right after surrendering the blueline. What is he doing? Is he afraid of being burned by the all-mighty Soderberg?

I realize that Backlund and Neal also failed on that 3 on 3 rush, but that's beer league gap control from Hamonic. The second pairing has been getting eaten alive on zone entires and exits. Look at the gap Hanifin, following Mackinnon to the boards, gave Makar on his goal.

what is he doing??

Hamonic alone had 3 or 4 passes from his zone right to the tape of the avs forwards last game. Hanifin almost gave the game away in regulation by taking an obviously overwhelmed and panicky penalty right after Rantanen scored.

Give them less ice time ffs Peters. They're playing with much less composure and confidence than the all rookie pairing. Valimaki should have never sat so long for Fantenberg in the first place.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #613
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post
Calgary has blown two LATE leads and lost in OT. This series could easily be 3-1 the other way. Funny thing is, we haven't seen the Flames are their best, not even close.
Neal looks like he is 48 years old.
Jankowski and Monahan look SO SLOW, and are both ineffective.

Colorado is skating circles around Calgary.

Flames are going to get fired up, and turn this thing around starting tonight.

My prediction : Flames 5-0
Neal, Monahan(2) , Jankowski, Gio

Flames are going to force a game 6, and then it gets interesting.
Gonna be hard for Neal to score from the pressbox.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #614
canflip_101
Backup Goalie

Exp:

neal out czarnik in.... benzo goes up to the top line... go flames go
canflip_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #615
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck flames I wont be watching tonight I cant take the reffing and it is angering me too much I will be following the score though that way I wont be emotionally invested in the outcome as much. Anyways go flames go
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #616
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Good luck flames I wont be watching tonight I cant take the reffing and it is angering me too much I will be following the score though that way I wont be emotionally invested in the outcome as much. Anyways go flames go
It's just sports..
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #617
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Neal scratch story https://www.tsn.ca/flames-scratch-ne...me-5-1.1293251
Old 04-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #618
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
That's exactly how I feel. Being a fan for almost 40 years it's hard not to get emotionally invested.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #619
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post

I like those lines!
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #620
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
From Darren Haynes' breakdown of the ot goal the other night on the athletic:

Look at all the space Hamonic gives Soderberg right after surrendering the blueline. What is he doing? Is he afraid of being burned by the all-mighty Soderberg?

I realize that Backlund and Neal also failed on that 3 on 3 rush, but that's beer league gap control from Hamonic. The second pairing has been getting eaten alive on zone entires and exits. Look at the gap Hanifin, following Mackinnon to the boards, gave Makar on his goal.

what is he doing??

Hamonic alone had 3 or 4 passes from his zone right to the tape of the avs forwards last game. Hanifin almost gave the game away in regulation by taking an obviously overwhelmed and panicky penalty right after Rantanen scored.

Give them less ice time ffs Peters. They're playing with much less composure and confidence than the all rookie pairing. Valimaki should have never sat so long for Fantenberg in the first place.
Fans on this board have been noting the terrible gap control and lazy backcheck since after Game 2.

The coaches are either not recognizing it or they are and the players aren't listening.

It's basic hockey, things that most players learn in peewee. Seriously, why does Peters have to tell these players anyways? MOST of us posters can see it.

This team and it's players are playing scared. It's not just Gaudreau, they all are playing scared.

I don't know what it is about this team but any time there is a super star player on the other team with electrifying speed, they just get scared.

Thank god the Oilers didn't make it into that 8th speed, because McDavid would have done the same thing as Mackinnion has. If losing to the Avs is bad, can you imagine losing to the Oilers? That's my glass half full perspective.