Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #21
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Red mile was organic and amazing in 03-04. Every year after that it was just contrived, overmarketed and overhyped.

I'd love for somewhere new take that crown as the Red Mile. Be it Electric Ave, Stephen Ave or even 10th Ave. 17th Ave is no longer the "place to be".
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #22
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, the Red Mile is dead. Stop trying to revive what was a spontaneous 6 week celebration and just let it happen organically.

No matter what happens this spring, it will never be the same as it was in 2004. Part of that is the fact that those of us who were there in 2004 are in completely different stages of our lives. I'm no longer a 20 year old university student that could dedicate 2 months to school during the day and to 17th at night. Don't get me wrong, I'll be watching the games somewhere, but it's not the same.

Hope those who are of the same age this year do some spontaneous celebrating wherever they want.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #23
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Red mile was organic and amazing in 03-04. Every year after that it was just contrived, overmarketed and overhyped.

I'd love for somewhere new take that crown as the Red Mile. Be it Electric Ave, Stephen Ave or even 10th Ave. 17th Ave is no longer the "place to be".
That'll be Stampede Trail when the new arena gets built.

17th still will be fun for this year if the Flames make it deep.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #24
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Ugh, the Red Mile is dead. Stop trying to revive what was a spontaneous 6 week celebration and just let it happen organically.

No matter what happens this spring, it will never be the same as it was in 2004. Part of that is the fact that those of us who were there in 2004 are in completely different stages of our lives. I'm no longer a 20 year old university student that could dedicate 2 months to school during the day and to 17th at night. Don't get me wrong, I'll be watching the games somewhere, but it's not the same.

Hope those who are of the same age this year do some spontaneous celebrating wherever they want.
Why? What’s wrong with the red mile? I see no reason why it needs to be something new. Maybe all those kids who watched us celebrate want to be able to experience such a wonderful event. Of course it won’t be exactly the same. 2004 was a perfect storm. Playoff starved city, underdog team, great weather, proximity to dome. But it doesn’t mean future iterations can’t be amazing in their own way. Plus, 17th ave just makes sense.

The Red Mile is dead? Long live the Red Mile.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #25
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
So excited to see this thread, yet so terrified. My metabolism was barely up to the task of bar food and 1600 calories of beer 3 times a week in 04. Afraid of what a long run does today, especially since I can afford more than 1600 calories of beer now. F it. Yolo. GFG.
For me the part I'm worried about is I'm 15 years older than '04. So I can't be dangling off roofs snapping photos, getting into fights in alleys, or drink like I could in those days on a work night.

Still gonna be awesome though! If ever there was a year for the City to really market 17th Ave and take advantage of the new renovations, these playoffs are it. Put all that construction to good use and really embrace the spirit of it. The Flames have as good a chance as they have ever had to win it all, and the city could really use a shot in the arm.

Good opportunity for fans, businesses, the team and the entire City to showcase itself.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #26
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
It was.. but nothing close to 2004, it doesn't take off until 2nd round. Which makes sense.
if my memory serves me correctly, 17th was opened for the first 6 home games, and closed for the last 6 homes game. I can't remember what they did for road games in the 3rd round, pretty sure they were closed for for the road games too in the 4th round.

I seem to remember cars getting stuck in the mob after game 6 vs Detroit, then they said they couldn't have that anymore.

So I would say this is pretty much a none issue until they have one 6 or 7 games.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #27
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
For me the part I'm worried about is I'm 15 years older than '04. So I can't be dangling off roofs snapping photos, getting into fights in alleys, or drink like I could in those days on a work night.

Still gonna be awesome though! If ever there was a year for the City to really market 17th Ave and take advantage of the new renovations, these playoffs are it. Put all that construction to good use and really embrace the spirit of it. The Flames have as good a chance as they have ever had to win it all, and the city could really use a shot in the arm.

Good opportunity for fans, businesses, the team and the entire City to showcase itself.
Fights in alleys? Are you sure you're not talking about Edmonton in 06?

Did you light any phone booths on fire? If so, you're thinking of Edmonton.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #28
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea we were there ever home and away game and I don’t recall seeing a single fight. Definitely no fires.

Lots of public drinking, atleast 1000 high fives and a little skin but that’s about it.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #29
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

What's the 2019 equivalent of "Shirts Off for Kiprusoff?"
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #30
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Why? What’s wrong with the red mile? I see no reason why it needs to be something new. Maybe all those kids who watched us celebrate want to be able to experience such a wonderful event. Of course it won’t be exactly the same. 2004 was a perfect storm. Playoff starved city, underdog team, great weather, proximity to dome. But it doesn’t mean future iterations can’t be amazing in their own way. Plus, 17th ave just makes sense.

The Red Mile is dead? Long live the Red Mile.
Completely agree. It takes work and effort to build something special which is often overlooked when people think of the best arenas and atmospheres to watch sporting events. Recent examples are Nashville and the raptors who have built great atmospheres for non traditional hockey/basketball cities. It takes effort from hiring young employees to hype up the crowd, building events outside of the arena and in game celebrations.

I'm looking forward to the red mile and if something 'spontaneous" happens somewhere else all the better but I'm not knocking the frames/city for trying.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ST20 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #31
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
"I'd love to see your breasts if you'd allow me to see them, if not it's okay because that's your right too...for Foo!...?....!"
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #32
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Amazon had some car flags. Living in victoria it was nice to be able to get a couple! In 2 days flags will go on my ride. In 4 days they will probably be broken off and my car door will have a key mark... f'n canucks fans can hate me, but I'm flying my flag!!
I would recommend taking them down when you're not driving. I even do that here in Calgary, there is no sense in inviting a young punk to do something to your car.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:28 PM   #33
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
“Peel for Neal!”
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #34
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dicks out for Prout.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #35
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Dicks out for Prout.
Poonani for Mangiapane
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #36
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A tittie for Smittie
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #37
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
I would recommend taking them down when you're not driving. I even do that here in Calgary, there is no sense in inviting a young punk to do something to your car.
Prob a wise idea
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #38
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

"Smile and Wave for Big Save Dave"
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #39
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

“Don’t harass us for Rasmus”
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #40
IGGYFORMVP
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
"I'd love to see your breasts if you'd allow me to see them, if not it's okay because that's your right too...for Foo!...?....!"
Mad props, this is the funniest thing I have read on CP in weeks. Bravo.
IGGYFORMVP is offline   Reply With Quote