Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If the election were held today, which party/ candidate of a party would you be votin
Alberta Party 1 50.00%
United Conservative Party 0 0%
New Democratic Party 0 0%
Alberta Liberal Party 0 0%
Freedom Conservative Party 0 0%
Other 0 0%
I will not vote in this election 0 0%
Undecided 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #21
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am currently leaning towards UCP, because I don't think AP will actually have enough votes to make any noise. If Kenney was not leading UCP, I would have definitely been voting their way. Currently I'm a bit conflicted. Economically it makes sense, but socially they are off from my mindset.

I wish AP had a better support/platform/plan.

Have been relatively okay with NDP (though I had been initially very worried), so wouldn't be that disturbed if they win again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I am having a hard time grasping what’s behind the strong Alberta Party numbers here. Dissasfaction with other two main parties? Influence of vote compass showing alignment? It’s not as though there are any big AP cheerleaders on here influencing people. It doesn’t align much with scientific polling. Curious what’s driving this.
I would suspect that people paying attention are deciding whether or not Kenny being incompetent or complicit in a scheme to funnel illegal donations to an election campaign is disqualifying or not. Once it is if you don’t like the status quo you are left with the Alberta Party.

It also reflects CPs genral stance of fiscal conservativism and social liberalism. Kenny’s historical social stances are likely more disqualifying in the CP sample then the outside world.

So CP shares the same Not NDP stance as the rest of the province but their is less stomach for voting for Kenny.

Also we have had stronger historical 3rd party support then the general polling.

Last edited by GGG; 03-23-2019 at 11:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #23
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am not sure if the CEM is running a candidate in my riding...
Old 03-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #24
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Voted UCP but I’m actually in the fence between the AP and UCP

I do wonder though. Why does the AP poll so low (less than 7%) yet over 30% here at CP? Are we really that different of a demographic? Perhaps the AP needs to figure out why they have won over a Calgary based hockey community but hardly anyone else
Old 03-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #25
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
What? She totally changed her stance in the past couple years. She never gave 2 craps about a pipeline in 2015-2016.
Ok? Presumably the PC governments of the last 40 years were pretty pro pipelines and they couldn't get anything done either.

So what would Mr Kenney have done that would have made a perceptible difference?
Old 03-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #26
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post

I do wonder though. Why does the AP poll so low (less than 7%) yet over 30% here at CP? Are we really that different of a demographic? Perhaps the AP needs to figure out why they have won over a Calgary based hockey community but hardly anyone else
My theory is people who will vote UCP don’t want to admit it here. Or people did the vote compass which I think skews social issues a bit and gives them the AP idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #27
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post

CP typically is not an accurate reflection of any city wide (or provincial wide for this matter) poll.

If you visit the politics thread, you would be certain the NDP would win this upcoming election by a landslide.

One could also argue that such a thread is a more educated group of Calgarians (in general) when it comes to politics so it is likely to be spread out and not follow the hype. The hype train is why I see the UCP winning by a landslide. Between people wanting the NDP out because they want someone to blame, people wanting them out because they are not happy with their current situation under the NDP, people wanting them out because they are not a fan of the policy.... these are all IMO slightly less educated votes who aren't looking at the full picture.

I am voting UCP because I believe they are the most likely to get $h9t done. I found NDP policy ridiculous, the AP puts on a good show but it looks to be smoke and mirrors and despite the compass telling me I am in favor of the Freedom Party.... I see it as pretty much non-existent and a waste of a vote at this time.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #28
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Ok? Presumably the PC governments of the last 40 years were pretty pro pipelines and they couldn't get anything done either.

So what would Mr Kenney have done that would have made a perceptible difference?
No pipelines were built in the last 40 years? News to me.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #29
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So you're saying that the only time we could have possibly built a pipeline to get our oil off train tracks was in the first two years of the Notley administration?

Man, sucks that we missed that two year sweet spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #30
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you're saying that the only time we could have possibly built a pipeline to get our oil off train tracks was in the first two years of the Notley administration?

You insinuated the PCs didn’t build pipelines in 40 years. Care to elaborate on that?

Not sure where you read that comment by me though.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...ipeline-legacy

The big concern is that the combination of the Trudeau government, and the NDP government actions have pretty much reduced investment to zero in this province. Neither have done a good job of making businesses feel comfortable in investing their money here.

Its embarrassing that even the Canadian Pension Plan has stopped investing in this province and is investing in the US Energy industry.

https://www.jwnenergy.com/article/20...joint-venture/

https://ca.reuters.com/article/busin...BN19J1R4-OCABS

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 12:49 PM   #32
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You insinuated the PCs didn’t build pipelines in 40 years. Care to elaborate on that?

Not sure where you read that comment by me though.
I simply mean that I like the way Notley has run the province. I don't think slightly lower taxes are reason to get rid of her, especially for a man who's big idea is corporate tax breaks for oil companies.

The pipelines we need are not in place. That isn't Notley's fault. This isn't a new issue facing the province, and we couldn't solve it with a PC dynasty and a Harper majority. We fix the pipeline issue, the rest will fall into place, and the deficits will go down.

Notley doesn't espouse the regressive social policy of Kenney. She made the right call on legal weed, eschewing provincial management in favor of the private sector. Which is more than one can say of the Ford government in Toronto.

The carbon tax has changed absolutely nobody's life on an individual level.

They have been relatively scandal free. Some stupid Facebook posts from an immature MLA are not a reason to get rid of the government. Certainly not for Jason Kenney.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #33
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post

I wish AP had a better support/platform/plan.
This is exactly how I feel. However, I'm still voting AP.

I like the UCP for their fiscal policy, but I can't bring myself to vote for a party that has a scumbag like Kenney as leader.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #34
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Yep the current results are shocking to say the least.....

There is no way I would ever vote for the NDP
This is a good reminder that to curb partisanship, we would all do well to put our selves in the shoes of others.

It should be shocking that someone would vote NDP, just like it shouldn’t be shocking that they’d vote UCP, FP, or AP.

Like any population, we are made up of different people with different values and different viewpoints on the way we’d like the government to run. I’m certainly not voting NDP, but I’m in no way shocked that people are leaning that way.

The fact that there’s a lot not to like about almost every party probably adds to this.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #35
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is the election for the AP to gain some real traction. Unless something major happens, I see the UCP winning this election without much trouble. However, I think there is a large portion of the population out there that doesn't really agree with the UCP or the NDP on the whole, and the AP is good middle ground. If they can make a surge and steal a handful or more of seats now, they could be legit for the next election.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #36
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing with the AP is that they have a completely innocuous platform. Like they’re in favour of everything and against nothing it seems, and because they’re a non-factor they won’t get dragged into any discussion or things like that. Because of that they’re everyone’s second choice.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #37
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The thing with the AP is that they have a completely innocuous platform. Like they’re in favour of everything and against nothing it seems, and because they’re a non-factor they won’t get dragged into any discussion or things like that. Because of that they’re everyone’s second choice.

Yup. Very milquetoast.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #38
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Ironically there was a bit of a sweet spot. When Harper and the PCs got voted out in 2015 there were three domestic Canadian pipelines to tidewater that were close to being finalized. We've since seen two of those killed and one on life support. Would they have been built with the PCs and Harper in? More likely with Harper sure, less likely on the provincial level due to less influence and I think most people would acknowledge that. It's dumb though to say "Harper couldn't get pipelines built in 10 years" or "the PCs couldn't get pipelines built in 40 years" because

A: Pipelines were built under them, just not major coastal projects and
B: There isn't a static market for building pipelines, you have to have the market conditions, regulatory environment, and private corporation money willing to take the risk.

So the length of time someone was in power is irrelevant it depends on if there were projects on the table and both of those governments were voted out before they could see them to the end. Ironically it was probably the worst possible time in the last 60 years for the Province and Country to sinilatanelualy elect governments with radical environmental bents as three vital infrastructure projects are toast and no one will be proposing new ones anytime soon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #39
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay so help me out here as I am allergic to politics. How many of these new parties are factions of the bloated PC powerhouse pig before the NDP got voted in?

And who of the old faces would you associate with each party? Like which party is Ed Stelmach? Ralph Klein party?
Old 03-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #40
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Danielle Smith in no uncertain terms said Notley is from the Lougheed brand of politics and Kenney is from the Klein brand of politics.

AP is from the best brand of politics - the centre
Closed Thread