Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #21
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
Can get life insurance if you haven't been vaccinated?

There should be some lever with the health system where you can get booted out of it if you don't do a few basic things - vaccines being one of them.
Yes, they don’t ask.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #22
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was released yesterday that the person with measles had been vaccinated, and it wasn't effective for them.

Another question would be : if you travel to an area where there has been a known outbreak, should there be mandatory screening as a part of return trip customs?
Old 03-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #23
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Every time this comes up I think if this.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #24
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I was being a smart a$$ sorry.
I did pick up on that,

But clearly the tactic worked on you, after only two rounds you have changed your approach to the conversation. I think most pro-virus individuals a tougher to crack, but asking questions is the best way to break down the rhetoric they spew
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
Every time this comes up I think if this.
Thats a really long and circuitous explanation of 'Herd Immunity' and erroneous decision making based on poor and erroneous anecdotal information.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #26
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Flu shots save us millions in healthcare costs, in lost productivity and heck even helps keep vulnerable from dying.

Neat.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #27
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Honestly there is very little reason not to hold climate deniers, natural/organic food advocates, religious people, flat earthers..... all in the same regard. But I think the best tact is to be charitable and ask questions.

Why do you think 10s of the thousands of doctors would lie to you?
How many people suffer vaccine injuries / what are injuries?
Did you know Wakefeilds papers and licenses were revoked?

The foundationless beliefs are routed in personal identity and virtue signalling to a perceived ingroup. Telling people they are idiots just flags you as being in the outgroup and not important to engage with. But if you listen to them and ask real questions, you might get them thinking, and thinking about any of these questions for a short period of time will chip away at their priors.
I dunno, I get that and all. Maybe calling them all stupid was kind of harsh. But really, what is there to discuss? Science, the study of structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment, has proven that these vaccines are effective. Just like the earth has been proven round. What is there to discuss with an anti-vaxxer, let alone a flat-earther? There is nothing to discuss. Listen to their argument, then throw it in the trash. It's wrong. It's the same thing with Trump supporters. Even when all the evidence is presented, it's just hands in their ears and la-la-la. At some point, you just have to call it like it is and hope the smart ones outnumber the dumb ones.

It's 2019 and vaccines have been proven safe beyond a shadow of a doubt. I'm sure on occasion it's caused damage. But you could say the same about say, seat belts causing injuries. You play the odds in life and do what's best for society as a whole. You take the risk that the 0.0001% (or whatever it is) harm it might cause you, to benefit society as a whole.

It's a bit personal for me because tragically I have a cousin and husband who are both anti-vaxxers, and no amount of science or stats that are presented to them in a reasonable manner are enough to convince them. Now their 2 wonderful innocent kids are at higher risk.

I have no problem saying they are both idiots. Wonderful people, but idiots.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 03-16-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #28
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I dunno, I get that and all. Maybe calling them all stupid was kind of harsh. But really, what is there to discuss? Science, the study of structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment, has proven that these vaccines are effective. Just like the earth has been proven round. What is there to discuss with an anti-vaxxer, let alone a flat-earther? There is nothing to discuss. Listen to their argument, then throw it in the trash. It's wrong. It's the same thing with Trump supporters. Even when all the evidence is presented, it's just hands in their ears and la-la-la. At some point, you just have to call it like it is and hope the smart ones outnumber the dumb ones.

It's 2019 and vaccines have been proven safe beyond a shadow of a doubt. I'm sure on occasion it's caused damage. But you could say the same about say, seat belts causing injuries. You play the odds in life and do what's best for society as a whole. You take the risk that the 0.0001% (or whatever it is) harm it might cause you, to benefit society as a whole.

It's a bit personal for me because tragically I have a cousin and husband who are both anti-vaxxers, and no amount of science or stats that are presented to them in a reasonable manner are enough to convince them. Now their 2 wonderful innocent kids are at higher risk.

I have no problem saying they are both idiots. Wonderful people, but idiots.
I completely agree there is not a good reason for their beliefs.

Does it seem like the numbers of these people are growing?

Why do you think they believe this stuff? Clearly they have trusted intuition too much and have been to ready to reject expert evidence, but why?
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

When are we reintroducing Polio and smallpox? Maybe its time Lupus made a comeback?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote