Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #281
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
I think Bo gives it a shot, assuming he gets guaranteed $. He's likely got one shot at it, and even Dickenson did it for a few years holding a clip board. As t99 says though, the teams he tried out for a month ago have coaching changes, and in the NFL is a whole bunch of luck and circumstance to get noticed and then to stick in any regard, so any changes to the situation he thought were in those cities is out the window, for any try out players.

But yes, the dream is to get a spot as a backup and make a similar wage or a bit less as a CFL starter. Hope for the perfect set of circumstances (ie an injury or two) to be able to get into some games, and perform well enough on the big stage for other teams to see that you can play NFL football, and then your next gig in a city across the country may be easier to land. From there, as mentioned, you're the next Joe Webb at worst, getting paid more than a CFL wage as a legit backup somewhere else, and your then in the unofficial QB club that teams keep coming back to.

A longer shot has you moving into a starter role and really hit the jackpot, but my guess is Bo would be thrilled to be a backup in the NFL as he literally has nothing left to accomplish here. If he can have stability in his pay cheque and always be a chance twisted knee away from having a chance at playing in a NFL game and maybe that's his break getting more opportunities out of that. And, that is worth the risk to see through then going back here to do what he's done and win a couple Grey Cups and MOP's and finish out his playing career in playing in games like in front of 13500 on a cold windy October day in Montreal.

I think minimum wage in the NFL is at least 100K more than what he would get here.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #282
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if bringing on JC was a play to keep Bo here as well. IIRC they're pretty close friends and that could sway the decision in Huff's favor.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 12:05 PM   #283
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I wonder if bringing on JC was a play to keep Bo here as well. IIRC they're pretty close friends and that could sway the decision in Huff's favor.
I don't think that's the way Huff and Co. roll. There was a LB coach opening after Claybrooks moved to BC and Monson getting the promotion to DC. The timing just happened to be perfect and it sounds like DD was impressed with the player and his coaching prospects.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:16 PM   #284
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to have Bergman back (and under contract for two years).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1090672538437378050
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #285
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps O-line is rounding into form:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1091392854147125249
Old 02-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #286
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Stamps O-line is rounding into form:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1091392854147125249
Will be nice to see who they will be blocking for. Havent heard about Finch in sometime, is his career pretty much done now?
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #287
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how many free agents left on Huffs list?
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #288
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I think minimum wage in the NFL is at least 100K more than what he would get here.
THat's true if you're on a roster. Practice squad guys make $140K/year if they are kept all year.

The majority of teams still only carry 2 QB's on their roster.

I believe the odds are against Bo getting anything beyond a very small signing bonus and low guaranteed money. If any. If he tries the NFL, it will be because it's on a team where he legitimately thinks he can win the backup spot out of camp.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #289
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Will be nice to see who they will be blocking for. Havent heard about Finch in sometime, is his career pretty much done now?
DD and Huff are keeping in contact with Roy, but they're waiting for legal proceedings to be completed before moving forward.

“I’m not sure where it’s at in the legal system, but we haven’t forgotten about Roy,” Dickenson said. “We’ve had to step away and let the system down there (proceed) — it’s a slow-moving system — it’s not on our court so we just let that process play out.

“Roy has to be proactive. He’s texted with (running backs coach) Marc Mueller and he’s called him. I really enjoy talking to him. To me, he’s not a violent man at all. Hopefully, that gets resolved and we’ll see.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/footba...e-on-roy-finch
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #290
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's Rod Pedersen, so take it with a grain of salt (heck, the entire salt shaker).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1091746720642465794
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #291
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I was getting ready to write off the 2019 season but if Bo comes back that changes everything.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:41 PM   #292
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
It's Rod Pedersen, so take it with a grain of salt (heck, the entire salt shaker).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1091746720642465794
I can't believe that BLM would turn down a backup job - great salary and almost certainly gives him a good chance to play at least some football next year. He can't really expect to go from CFL starter to NFL starter right away. I call BS on this.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #293
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see any NFL squad gifting him a #2 spot. He would at best get a 3 and if that's what he is seeing he will be back. Better to make half a mill here guaranteed, play in a city that knows and loves you for at least another five years. I'll bet he is back or he would have signed by now.

Last edited by Cheese; 02-04-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2019, 11:38 PM   #294
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
I can't see any NFL squad gifting him a #2 spot. He would at best get a 3 and of that's what he is seeing he will be back. Better to make half a mill here guaranteed, play in a city that knows and loves you for at least another five years. I'll bet he is back or he would have signed by now.
I think if BLM was a single athlete as well, He'd probably take that chance at the 3rd spot and hoping it will become something better but with a kiddo and another one on the way. Stability and knowing he'll be around his family is probably a huge tipping point.

Last edited by Otto-matic; 02-04-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #295
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I think it BLM was a single athlete as well. He'd probably take that chance at the 3rd spot and hoping it will become something better but with a kiddo and another one on the way. Stability and knowing he'll be around his family is probably a huge tipping point.
Meh. Pretty sure he could skip a year and come back to the CFL next season and not really miss a step...if he can get an ok and stable gig as a third guy in the NFL, and again, hope for a very specific set of circumstances to get him up the depth chart and into a regular season game or few and show his talents, it’s worth the risk.

He’s got to give this the full shot and never have regrets about what if. I don’t think it is a total surprise to him or anyone, about what offers are being or not being thrown at him at this point. Unless he had some stronger feelings that something was more imminent, and then his workouts or staff changes at teams since have changed that, he had to know the odds of being much more than a 3rd clip board holder to start the next NFL season weren’t great when he started this. Nothing else he will do on the field in th CFL will improve his stock. Timing and circumstance and an NFL team situation is all that would change his luck, and for that, he has no control over.

If he really want to play in the NFL, he will suck it up, take a risk, take a year off from the CFL, be a third stinger and hope for the best.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #296
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meh. Pretty sure he could skip a year and come back to the CFL next season and not really miss a step...if he can get an ok and stable gig as a third guy in the NFL, and again, hope for a very specific set of circumstances to get him up the depth chart and into a regular season game or few and show his talents, it’s worth the risk.
Point is that 3rd strong QB is not a stable gig. You’ll be on the practice squad, not dressing for games, and in a week to week financial arrangement. And no guarantees that if one of the top 2 is hurt, the team won’t look elsewhere for a QB with NFL experience. Happens all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 12:23 AM   #297
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Point is that 3rd strong QB is not a stable gig. You’ll be on the practice squad, not dressing for games, and in a week to week financial arrangement. And no guarantees that if one of the top 2 is hurt, the team won’t look elsewhere for a QB with NFL experience. Happens all the time.
Sure, but my point is, did he plan and expect to be given a backup #2 role guaranteed, anywhere, when he decided to set out do this, this offseason?

I would say that would be very presumptuous thst he did. So, it means he knew he’d have an uphill battle and ideally be trying to find the best 3rd gig to give his dream any shot. He can’t do that after committing to the Stamps next year.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 AM   #298
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

He’s got to give this the full shot and never have regrets about what if. I don’t think it is a total surprise to him or anyone, about what offers are being or not being thrown at him at this point. Unless he had some stronger feelings that something was more imminent, and then his workouts or staff changes at teams since have changed that, he had to know the odds of being much more than a 3rd clip board holder to start the next NFL season weren’t great when he started this. Nothing else he will do on the field in th CFL will improve his stock. Timing and circumstance and an NFL team situation is all that would change his luck, and for that, he has no control over.

If he really want to play in the NFL, he will suck it up, take a risk, take a year off from the CFL, be a third stinger and hope for the best.
Exactly this. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't give it a shot. The guy in the mirror needs to seize the opportunity and try to land an NFL gig. Huff will sign a veteran CFL QB to a one year deal, and expect BLM back for the 2020 season. My bet is the advice he got from DD was give it an honest try, but don't spend more than one year with the clipboard. Sounded to me like Dave regrets spending as many years as he did on the sidelines in San Diego, but didn't regret giving it a shot.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #299
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Exactly this. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't give it a shot. The guy in the mirror needs to seize the opportunity and try to land an NFL gig. Huff will sign a veteran CFL QB to a one year deal, and expect BLM back for the 2020 season. My bet is the advice he got from DD was give it an honest try, but don't spend more than one year with the clipboard. Sounded to me like Dave regrets spending as many years as he did on the sidelines in San Diego, but didn't regret giving it a shot.
This is the scenario. I'm thinking that because it is taking this long, he is having serious reservations about being a practice roster player. Perhaps the feedback from the workouts isn't what he was hoping for. Or he had unrealistic reservations about being handed a backup job.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #300
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's the QB of the defensive secondary, great to have Brandon Smith back for 2019.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1093254511584411648
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post: