Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #41
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like it, a style that we haven't really seen in Calgary yet. The closest we have to the staggered window style would be the UofC's downtown campus building, and it is only 4 storeys and is easily lost in our core.

Plus I am all for some developments hitting the 10th avenue area, getting us closer and closer to ultimately bridging the gap across the CP tracks to 9th avenue, and the potential of all of those parking lots to really give us some great density and mixed uses.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #42
migsbenz
Draft Pick

Wow great summary of projects frinkprof.
Keep it coming!
migsbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #43
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
New traffic detours loom as Eighth Avenue Place starts work on second massive tower

‘It’s a good headache to have,’ says downtown association director

By Sherri Zickefoose, Calgary Herald March 3, 2012

Construction is to begin in mid-March on a second office tower for Eighth Avenue Place off 5th Street S.W.

Work on the 40-storey, 850,000-square-foot west tower is estimated to wrap by the summer of 2014.

The existing 49-storey tower, comprising 1.1 million square feet of office space, was completed in early 2011 on the site of the old Penny Lane complex.

[...]

Total office demand in Calgary’s downtown commercial real estate market hit a high level in 2011 — more than four times the 10-year historical average.

[...]
Link to the rest of the article

Note that the second tower will now actually be a little bit taller than the one pictured in this rendering:

Last edited by frinkprof; 03-04-2012 at 10:16 AM.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #44
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, I thought that would have been a Bankers Hall 2 type delay, not a couple years.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #45
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

More renderings of the Brad Lamb development at 6th Street and 10th Avenue SW discussed a few posts up. These are from their new website:

http://www.6thandtenth.com

Last edited by frinkprof; 03-19-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #46
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, some potentially big news about the Herald Square office development. Brookfield (the developer) has puchased the Bow Parkade which gives them complete ownership of the block. Looks like they could scrap their current plans (shown in the massive rendering posted earlier) and build either a one or two tower complex.

Quote:
Jan Sucharda, president & CEO of Brookfield Office Properties - Canadian Commercial Operations, says he has already launched a competition with a select group of local and global architects to provide a site plan that may include a single or multiple buildings. Brookfield had looked at ideas for the east portion of the block but the new acquisition opens a totally new opportunity to build an iconic development worthy of the site.

Having control of the whole block allows for an exciting environment in which it can offer great amenities and tenant experiences.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...458/story.html
Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #47
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's good news. I always thought that block was a dump; here's to something iconic and powerful on that important piece of property.

Wish my firm was involved on that.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #48
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apologies if this isn't the correct thread. I was wondering if anyone know's what's going up just to the East of the Sunnyside LRT station, where the former City warehouse is getting torn down?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #49
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Apologies if this isn't the correct thread. I was wondering if anyone know's what's going up just to the East of the Sunnyside LRT station, where the former City warehouse is getting torn down?
Unfortunately for now, that's basically all that's happening. The building is being torn down and I believe the intent is to sell the land. First though, it will be used for a short time as a staging area for the refurbishment of the LRT station (extending it to 4 car length). Hopefully something decent gets built there.
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #50
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks! Where but CP can you ask a slightly obscure question and get a knowledgeable answer in 2 minutes or less?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #51
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a Sunnyside resident I would love to see that warehouse site get a nice mid-rise condo project with some ground floor retail. It would complement Pixel by Battistella going up on the other side of the tracks too.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #52
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
thanks! Where but cp can you ask a slightly obscure question and get a knowledgeable answer in 2 minutes or less?
SkyscraperPage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #53
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
As a Sunnyside resident I would love to see that warehouse site get a nice mid-rise condo project with some ground floor retail. It would complement Pixel by Battistella going up on the other side of the tracks too.
I remember there was a property proposed for Sunnyside that was called Opera (or something like that)... it was about a 10-12 story building with a circular floorplate; not sure if that's still going on or not. I believe it was right on Memorial Drive.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #54
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I remember there was a property proposed for Sunnyside that was called Opera (or something like that)... it was about a 10-12 story building with a circular floorplate; not sure if that's still going on or not. I believe it was right on Memorial Drive.
I've never heard of that proposal, how long ago was it out there?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #55
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bow-to-Bluff corridor plans are being released later this week, I believe. Might be some information there about what's happening where the triangular warehouse building was (since it's right along the corridor). Last I heard, there were rumours about a mixed use property with retail on the main level and low income residential above it, but that was a very secondhand account.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #56
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
SkyscraperPage.
Skiyscraperpage can answer the questions, but usually doesn't answer them quite as quickly.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #57
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've never heard of that proposal, how long ago was it out there?
I remember seeing something about it about 7-8 years ago... For some reason it stands out in my mind, because it was the first skyscraper-type building going up east of the Sunnyside LRT. I have no idea if those plans are still valid anymore.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #58
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

That warehouse land has always been earmarked for some sort of affordable housing. Likely that's how it'll be developed, but with some public space facing the LRT corridor.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #59
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary City Centre development moving forward

36-storey office skyscraper planned

By Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary Herald April 4, 2012

CALGARY — Phase 1 of the Calgary City Centre development site in the downtown is moving forward with a planned 36-storey office skyscraper.

Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited said the first phase of the downtown project will include the tower comprising 853,032 square feet with a retail podium, and five levels of underground parking with 632 stalls.

The building will be complete for the first tenant occupancy by March 2016.

The Phase 1 office tower is part of a larger mixed-use development which incorporates office, retail, a five-star hotel and luxury condominium residences.

The development covers a full city block of 3.2 acres, located at 2nd Street S.W. and 3rd Avenue S.W. in the Eau Claire area.

[...]

Phase 1 highlights include: the second floor of the office tower will be connected to the Plus-15 walkway system via three bridge connections across 2nd (to Livingston Place) and 3rd Streets S.W. (to the Devon Tower) and 3rd Avenue S.W. (to Jamieson Place); an expansive two-storey office lobby will run along 2nd Street S.W. with a landscaped courtyard extending from the lobby to 3rd Street; the typical floor plate size is 26,782 square feet, providing for efficient office areas and the potential for eight corner offices per floor; and five levels of underground parking with 632 stalls will be available, including bicycle lockers and showers located at grade and on level P1.

[...]

Construction is scheduled to begin in May.

[...]
Link to the rest of the article.

For those not familiar, these are the some renderings of the project:

Last edited by frinkprof; 04-05-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #60
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

For reference the tower they have announced that they will build first is the one on the left (east side).

This is an excellent project, can't wait for them to break ground in May!