Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #2161
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Air Canada continues to change some flights in YYC due to the ongoing 737 MAX grounding.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...eing-1.5082594
  • Two daily flights between Toronto and Calgary have been consolidated onto one larger Airbus A330.
  • A new Calgary to Halifax service will now start July 1 instead of May 18.
Given that Air Canada previously said they were planning on the Max 8's to not return until July 1 at the earliest, I might take this as a sign they are confident this indeed will be the case and the grounding will be lifted by then.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #2162
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

They still don't know really; they just had to pick some day that they would pencil them back in to deal with the scheduling nightmare. Rouge might operate it if max is still down.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:20 AM   #2163
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All carryon bag scanners are down currently down at the US side of YYC. They are doing manual checks of everyone’s bag. If you got a flight today, maybe arrive a tad early.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:21 AM   #2164
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

The new security system at YEG is amazingly efficient. So much so that it causes chaos on the other side because everyone gets through so quickly.
Four people at a time fill trays that are ripped through the scanner as soon as they are put down. Just went through for the second time this week when it was busy and walked right through.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #2165
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

For a reasonably big YEG is the fastest airport to get through, hands-down. Sometimes even faster than the NEXUS line. I also like the terminal a bit better; more natural light, much higher ceilings, and a feeling of openness. The domestic terminal in YYC is . . . not that.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #2166
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
For a reasonably big YEG is the fastest airport to get through, hands-down. Sometimes even faster than the NEXUS line. I also like the terminal a bit better; more natural light, much higher ceilings, and a feeling of openness. The domestic terminal in YYC is . . . not that.
...but the international one is.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #2167
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Yes it is. Not the domestic one though.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #2168
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

YYC's international terminal is just okay. The design is decent (nothing special), but the distances one has to travel in order to get through the facility is atrocious. I feel sorry for anyone that has a disability in this regard.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #2169
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
YYC's international terminal is just okay. The design is decent (nothing special), but the distances one has to travel in order to get through the facility is atrocious. I feel sorry for anyone that has a disability in this regard.
This is the worst. I will avoid transferring from Domestic/International in YYC at all costs, it's bad. They basically need a mini Hyperloop going back and forth every minute. That would be nice!
Old 04-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #2170
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

You should fly to Chicago more often. That place makes you walk!!!
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #2171
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And the endless ramps.

For petes sake, build three levels and escalators. It's not rocket surgery.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #2172
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For a reasonably big YEG is the fastest airport to get through, hands-down.
I think maybe there is a misunderstanding of how much bigger YYC is than YEG. YYC's expansion that just opened itself has more gates than the entire YEG airport.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #2173
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I think maybe there is a misunderstanding of how much bigger YYC is than YEG. YYC's expansion that just opened itself has more gates than the entire YEG airport.
Nope. No misunderstanding at all actually. I've been to the biggest of the big, and the smallest of the small. YEG is right in the middle, and I would consider it one of Canada's biggest and busiest - but behind Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary. Well aware of that position.

And frankly, having a combined International/Domestic terminal is eons more efficient than YYC. You can literally be in the airport and the other side of security in about 60-90 seconds on low volume times.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 PM   #2174
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well aware of that position.
...okay? So would YEG be as good as it is with twice the pax, twice the number of gates, two big transborder pushes, and huge arrival banks from Europe and Mexico?

Quote:
You can literally be in the airport and the other side of security in about 60-90 seconds on low volume times.
There is no such thing as a high volume time at YEG.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #2175
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would it have killed them to put in a few more moving walkways to the international side at YYC? I am able bodied and it is a chore dragging all our bags and our kid from the parkade down there for a trip. And we tend to travel light.

The gates for the flights to Lethbridge, Med Hat, Cranbrook ect feel like they belong in a 3rd world county.

That airport is such a disappointment.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:27 AM   #2176
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Would it have killed them to put in a few more moving walkways to the international side at YYC? I am able bodied and it is a chore dragging all our bags and our kid from the parkade down there for a trip. And we tend to travel light.

The gates for the flights to Lethbridge, Med Hat, Cranbrook ect feel like they belong in a 3rd world county.

That airport is such a disappointment.
First world problems.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #2177
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a plane related question:

I’m flying with my golf clubs and I have a Mickey of fireball I want to bring for birdie juice. Is it going to be ok in my golf bag under the plane? It’s unopened.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #2178
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Here is a plane related question:

I’m flying with my golf clubs and I have a Mickey of fireball I want to bring for birdie juice. Is it going to be ok in my golf bag under the plane? It’s unopened.
Yup. Put it in a ziplock just in case.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #2179
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
First world problems.
I mean it's a thread on a sports dedicated internet forum discussing an international airport terminal. What would you expect to find here?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #2180
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And frankly, having a combined International/Domestic terminal is eons more efficient than YYC. You can literally be in the airport and the other side of security in about 60-90 seconds on low volume times.
I know nothing about airport design, but I imagine passenger convenience/experience is a lot less important than operational efficiency (for the core business, which is getting planes in and out). I've got nothing but time to kill before a flight, so I don't mind an extra 5-10 mins of walking around before being stuck in a chair, especially if it means the flight is more likely to leave on time, and takes bit less time taxiing, etc.

I'm sure my tune will change a bit when I'm towing around my little one(s), but even then, I'd prefer extra terminal sq footage to waiting amongst many busy/cramped gates
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc