Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #841
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

And if you're not wanting to fuss when planting, get seeds in seed tape.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #842
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put down fresh sod last July, so would it be ok to power rake the grass this year or does it risk ripping up the sod because it's so new? It really took well last summer so my guess is it would be ok, but does anyone have any insight?
Old 04-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #843
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't have much experience with sod, but I grew some of my own grass from seed one year and then power raked it next year as I thought it had really taken hold. Huge mistake - pretty much wiped out my entire progress. Sod is likely way tougher than the seed I had put down, but maybe play it safe for a year.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #844
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dumb question - at this point in the year when everyones grass is still yellow what is the best way to prep it for the spring/summer? Does power raking actually do anything?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #845
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Levelling and grading of backyard + sod install ..... DIY or pay someone?
Just received a quote for over 10k for 40% of the remaining fence and sod and it has me considering a DIY on the sod but perhaps there is a reason it is so expensive and best left for a pro?

Edit, or suggestions for fence / sod company you were happy with after shopping some prices?

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #846
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Just received a quote for over 10k for 40% of the remaining fence and sod and it has me considering a DIY on the sod but perhaps there is a reason it is so expensive and best left for a pro?

Edit, or suggestions for fence / sod company you were happy with after shopping some prices?
When I was doing my front yard, I rented a bobcat from Home Depot and did it all myself. I had bobcat experience so I knew what I was doing but it really wasn't all that hard. I dug a ton of clay out, put down fresh soil, smoothed it all out and then laid the sod. I watched a ton of youtube videos about how to do it, and it wasn't hard at all. Time consuming, but not difficult. Just get your locates done!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #847
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
When I was doing my front yard, I rented a bobcat from Home Depot and did it all myself. I had bobcat experience so I knew what I was doing but it really wasn't all that hard. I dug a ton of clay out, put down fresh soil, smoothed it all out and then laid the sod. I watched a ton of youtube videos about how to do it, and it wasn't hard at all. Time consuming, but not difficult. Just get your locates done!
Username checks out.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #848
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

We did our large yard by ourselves.

Raked rocks out by hand. Wheel barreled a couple inches of fresh loam in. Spread it all and then laid the sod. Lots of work but its pretty much dead simple.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #849
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
We did our large yard by ourselves.

Raked rocks out by hand. Wheel barreled a couple inches of fresh loam in. Spread it all and then laid the sod. Lots of work but its pretty much dead simple.
Thank you..... it is heavilllly weeded as in very little loose dirt exists.
Would I be better off....

1) Rototiller and 5 guys raking
2) Hiring a guy with a bobcat to skim the lot clean

Both scenarios will involve fresh top soil being put down.

Also, in terms of disposing, the city website claims weeds have to be bagged? Is this true?
And if I go the bobcat route like metalilcat, I assume you had a dumpster to put all of the dirt into and I imagine the dopping cost wasn't cheap (but again wonder how to get around the citys claim of weeds needing to be bagged).

Thanks again!!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #850
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't worry about the weeds, they'll get so chopped up I can't imagine they will be visible. I was able to dump clean fill for free at the landfill, but you can call the city first, they don't always accept it at all landfills.

If you have weeds I'd recommend against doing it by hand. You will not get all the root unless you dig really deep, then they will just be there again.

Another option is to hire a kijiji guy to do that bit for you, then sod it yourself. I looked into doing some of that myself, and by the time you do all the disposal it ends up taking a lot of time and costing you almost as much. You could get a few of those sweet sweet free estimates first to decide.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #851
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I had my lawn ripped out last summer to put in artificial turf, and I found out that it was quite expensive to get the dirt/sod disposed of. There were places that had "a spot" to dump it, but you can't simply take it to the city landfill without paying a lot.

How much square footage do you have? Have you considered artificial turf? It's a higher up front cost, but super low maintenance (no mowing, watering, weeds) and it stays green year round

Quote:
Thank you..... it is heavilllly weeded as in very little loose dirt exists.
Would I be better off....

1) Rototiller and 5 guys raking
2) Hiring a guy with a bobcat to skim the lot clean

Both scenarios will involve fresh top soil being put down.

Also, in terms of disposing, the city website claims weeds have to be bagged? Is this true?
And if I go the bobcat route like metalilcat, I assume you had a dumpster to put all of the dirt into and I imagine the dopping cost wasn't cheap (but again wonder how to get around the citys claim of weeds needing to be bagged).

Thanks again!!
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #852
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too early to start watering? Just had the front power raked, aerated and fertilized, wondering if I should water since that just got done

Last edited by btimbit; 04-17-2019 at 04:15 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #853
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Would depend on the fertilizer. But its not like you would bring your lawn in if it started raining on it. April showers and all that. We havent reallyy had any rain and ive hand watered mine. More important is the guy a few houses down has watered his, and he has the nicest lawn ive ever seen.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #854
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah screw it, I'm going to throw some water down. I really want this lawn to look great this year. It took me all summer last year to just win my battle against the weeds, now I need to make the rest of it look good. I'm tempted to put up before and after pictures but I'm embarrassed. It looks like a rental house right now
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #855
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking for a gardener to do a clean up of my flower beds. Any recommendations?
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #856
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's the sod (grass attached to the dirt) that the city charges for, not sure why but they do. Clean fill, clean soil from your yard is free to dump. So if you try to dispose of the clean soil and sod at the same time you'll pay for the tonnage of everything. If you separate the sod from the soil you'll make 2 trips but it will be cheaper.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #857
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can throw sod in the green bin though, if you don't have to much and are OK disposing of it slowly. It's how I'm getting rid of some excess clay I happen to have.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #858
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You can throw sod in the green bin though, if you don't have to much and are OK disposing of it slowly. It's how I'm getting rid of some excess clay I happen to have.
You should try and offer that clay to people for free. Maybe they'll take it off your hands.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #859
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You should try and offer that clay to people for free. Maybe they'll take it off your hands.
That's a fantastic idea. Would you like some clay? It's free.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #860
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's a fantastic idea. Would you like some clay? It's free.
I’ll take it for free if you make it into bricks first. Can you deliver to Nanton?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies