Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #41
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
All I know is that it’s pretty 50-50 among NHL teams to have a self-drafted goalie as their starter, and plenty acquired both of their present goalies from elsewhere.
This is true, but almost all cup-winning goalies are drafted and developed by the team they're on:

2020: Vasilevsky
2019: Binnington
2018: Holtby
2017: Murray
2016: Murray
2015: Crawford
2014: Quick
2013: Crawford
2012: Quick
2011: Thomas (the team that drafted him no longer existed. Boston was the only team he had ever played for)

In fact, most of of the goalies get to the finals in general were drafted and developed by the team they're still on.
I don't think any free agent signed goalies, who play as starters, have won a cup in over 50 years.
If the Flames can't manage to both draft and develop a goalie, they're probably not going to win a cup.

They've drafted many goalies who looked promising out of the gate (Gillies, Parsons, even Irving). They've drafted goalies who have gone on to have careers (Anderson, McElhinney). Undrafted guys like Rittich and Roloson have been signed. McElhinney is probably the closest thing to being both drafted and developed, since he was with the organization for 8 years.

It seems like development is the problem. The prospects either falter or they leave the organization and become NHL goalies somewhere else.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #42
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
This is true, but almost all cup-winning goalies are drafted and developed by the team they're on:

2011: Thomas (the team that drafted him no longer existed. Boston was the only team he had ever played for)

In fact, most of of the goalies get to the finals in general were drafted and developed by the team they're still on.
I don't think any free agent signed goalies, who play as starters, have won a cup in over 50 years.
If the Flames can't manage to both draft and develop a goalie, they're probably not going to win a cup.

They've drafted many goalies who looked promising out of the gate (Gillies, Parsons, even Irving). They've drafted goalies who have gone on to have careers (Anderson, McElhinney). Undrafted guys like Rittich and Roloson have been signed. McElhinney is probably the closest thing to being both drafted and developed, since he was with the organization for 8 years.

It seems like development is the problem. The prospects either falter or they leave the organization and become NHL goalies somewhere else.
I’ll give you all of those but Thomas because he was like 30 before he played in the NHL.

But, I disagree with your closing statement. Looking at this, and the other teams in the league, it seems like nailing this is a key to winning a cup. But the development ‘problem’ affects basically every other team in the league. It’s as much luck as it is skill.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #43
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
This is true, but almost all cup-winning goalies are drafted and developed by the team they're on...
I know you have made this point before, but I just don't see what can meaningfully be construed from it. Why would drafting your own goalie be significant to winning playoff rounds? What is the reasoning behind it?

I suspect this has more to do with the age of cup-winning goalies, but even this has to do with being in the right place and getting "hot" at the right time—Jordan Binnington is nothing special.

This reminds me of the 1990s, when it was widely believed that a European captain, or a European goalies could never win the Stanley Cup. It's a weird statistic that probably doesn't actually mean anything, because it doesn't make any sense that it would.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s fine to draft and develop your starter and win the cup. But was Murray really the key to the Pens, or could they have as easily traded for a guy just like him? They certainly didn’t think enough of him to keep him. Who gets credit for Rask? Toronto drafted him, he never played for them. Speaking of Toronto - they imported all 3 of their goalies right now and are leading the division.

And there was another team in each of those finals.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 01:54 PM   #45
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was another team in the finals...that didn't win. The leafs are leading the division but a few years ago, the Flames lead the whole western conference and got bounced first round. The pens could have just traded for a guy like Murray but by actually having him they didn't have to give up any assets from the team to win. As for Rask, he's a lot like Thomas who was drafted by the leafs but was never really a part of the organization, he was always a Bruin.

There are lots of little things you can point out that might have factored in to things or changed things but the bottom line is that having a quality goalie (be it a star to steal games or someone just good enough) in the team's system helps win the cup.

If the Flames are slotted to draft around 10 or so, Wallstead or whatever would really help the team out. They need to start to build a team and having a top notch goalie would help a lot. If they can't get the best D or F then get the best G.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
There was another team in the finals...that didn't win. The leafs are leading the division but a few years ago, the Flames lead the whole western conference and got bounced first round. The pens could have just traded for a guy like Murray but by actually having him they didn't have to give up any assets from the team to win. As for Rask, he's a lot like Thomas who was drafted by the leafs but was never really a part of the organization, he was always a Bruin.

There are lots of little things you can point out that might have factored in to things or changed things but the bottom line is that having a quality goalie (be it a star to steal games or someone just good enough) in the team's system helps win the cup.

If the Flames are slotted to draft around 10 or so, Wallstead or whatever would really help the team out. They need to start to build a team and having a top notch goalie would help a lot. If they can't get the best D or F then get the best G.
I’d rather do like Boston and grab a Rask, who you’ve seen for more than a couple years of junior. Sure you can draft a goalie high and get Price or Vasilevsky. You can also draft a goalie high and get Kidd, or Thibeault, or Chet Pickard, or Montoya...
Old 04-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #47
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I know you have made this point before, but I just don't see what can meaningfully be construed from it. Why would drafting your own goalie be significant to winning playoff rounds? What is the reasoning behind it?

I suspect this has more to do with the age of cup-winning goalies, but even this has to do with being in the right place and getting "hot" at the right time—Jordan Binnington is nothing special.

This reminds me of the 1990s, when it was widely believed that a European captain, or a European goalies could never win the Stanley Cup. It's a weird statistic that probably doesn't actually mean anything, because it doesn't make any sense that it would.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Yes, it's simply a noted correlation. And it's generally not wise to rely on past correlations, because there's no way of knowing whether those trends will continue.

But there are explanations that might explain bits of it. For an example, most goalies who win cups are under the age of 30. Most home-grown goalies are also under the age of 30. Most FA signed goalies are over 30. So one could argue that for winning cups, younger goalies are better. Though there are exceptions (Thomas tends to be an exception to everything. Crawford had just turned 30 in 2015).

Perhaps younger goalies are less prone to breaking down after long seasons + playoffs. Or maybe when they get hot, they get very hot. Or maybe they have better contracts, leaving room for more cap space for other parts of the roster. Maybe teams that are good at drafting + developing goalies are just good at drafting + developing in general, so they have strong teams.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:39 PM   #48
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the contract angle is important. I haven’t checked but I’d bet a lot of those Cup winning goalies weren’t on big contracts. And younger.

Like any position, spending big dollars on older players is going to hurt you.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #49
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I think the contract angle is important. I haven’t checked but I’d bet a lot of those Cup winning goalies weren’t on big contracts. And younger.

Like any position, spending big dollars on older players is going to hurt you.
Holtby was over $6M and Crawford was $6M when he won, I think.

But generally, probably right:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-stanley-cup/
Old 04-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #50
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Holtby was over $6M and Crawford was $6M when he won, I think.

But generally, probably right:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-stanley-cup/
Not to mention the Penguins were paying Fleury like a top number one during that time as well.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:41 AM   #51
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just picked up my copy yesterday. Can’t wait to read it.

I get two issues of THN every year.

This one and the draft preview.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #52
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Khabibulin says what's up?
Dienasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #53
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I just picked up my copy yesterday. Can’t wait to read it.

I get two issues of THN every year.

This one and the draft preview.
Hope I didn’t ruin anything for you.....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:51 PM   #54
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Hope I didn’t ruin anything for you.....
Nope. All good. Thanks for starting the thread! It reminded me that it was gonna be on sale soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 06:10 PM   #55
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Nope. All good. Thanks for starting the thread! It reminded me that it was gonna be on sale soon.
I have a subscription, but I'm like you-Draft Preview, and Future Watch are the ones I look forward to. Probably a little too much.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2021, 12:09 PM   #56
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that the Panthers 3rd and 4th round picks in 2020 are ranked as higher prospects than Emil Heineman who was their 2nd rounder in 2020
Old 04-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #57
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Hockey News Future Watch Issue is out! Highlights:

Flames rank 26th in the league with a grade of C, up from last year's rank of 29th.

1)Ottawa A
2)NYR A
3)LA A
4)Anaheim A-
5)Montreal A-
6)Colorado A-
7)Detroit B+
8)NJ B+
9)Buffalo B+
10)Florida B+
11)Chicago B+
12)Dallas B+
13)Carolina B
14)Vancouver B
15)Winnipeg B-
16)Vegas B-
17)Philly B-
18)Columbus B-
19)Toronto C+
20)Minny C+
21)E=NG C+
22)Nashville C+
23)Washington C+
24)St.Louis C+
25)NYI C
26) Calgary C
27)Boston C
28)Arizona C
29)TB C-
30)SJ C-
31)Pittsburgh D+

Top 5 Prospects were 1)Zegras (ANA) 2)Byfield (LA) 3)Drysdale (ANA) 4)Raymond (DET) 5)Seider (DET)

The only two Flames to make the top 100 were Zary(42) and Pelletier(43). Flames top 10 in order were: Zary, Pelletier, Mackey, Gawdin, Pettersen, Wolf, Zavgorodniy, Kuznetsov, Ruzicka, Poirier.
Heineman was 9th on the Panthers list.
So our ex Coyotes Mgmt team is performing to the level of the actual Coyotes. Looks about right.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2021, 12:44 PM   #58
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
So our ex Coyotes Mgmt team is performing to the level of the actual Coyotes. Looks about right.

You do know that the Coyotes have a better record than the Flames.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #59
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
You do know that the Coyotes have a better record than the Flames.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So even worse then ? Keeps getting better.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #60
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone ever check back on the team prospect rankings like, 3-5 years later, to see how accurate they were? We all comment on them as they come out, but they can only be as good as their track record as far as predictive tools right?