Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #341
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I place a lot of blame on Dave Grossman (who has done talks with CPS...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 01:46 PM   #342
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nancy Pelosi performative? No way.

Old 04-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #343
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

A politician trying to have a positive public image? what a hypocrit!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #344
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
There are a couple of sources I saw that put the % of ex-military in the US police forces as 19%-20%. So that tells me it isn't ex-military alone that is driving the militarization of the US police.

Although, the US Military selling "used" equipment to them ain't helping.
The military equipment was given to police agencies under the condition that it had to be used in police operations or be returned to the United States Military. Basically it was free as long as they used the equipment on Americans at least once.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:36 PM   #345
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine actually giving a sh-t about this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Nancy Pelosi performative? No way.
Spoiler!
I sure can't.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 02:46 PM   #346
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

nm redundant

Last edited by Mull; 04-21-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #347
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's such a split second decision. As he ran towards her, he yelled for her to drop the knife. Does she understand? Does she compute? Is she mentally ill? We don't know. But she's got another girl pinned against the car, and the original call for police to arrive was because someone got stabbed, right? What information is he getting from dispatch? He is getting information and getting prepared in his head while driving there. This is very important.

So could the police have de-escalated? Could he have charged the girl with the knife, risking more stabs to both the pinned girl and himself? Is it even fair to analyze like this?
11 seconds. I watched the video. It was 11 seconds from when the police officer closed his door after arriving on scene to the kid with the knife getting shot.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:34 PM   #348
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

And it looked like the girl in pink was 0.1 second away from being stabbed. So perfect timing. I can't fault the officer on this one. You don't mess around with knives.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 07:30 PM   #349
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I'm not sure if this has already been posted. Bill Maher had an interesting guest who pointed out how little firearms training the police officers actually receive. This is a short clip of a longer interview that was quite eye opening. She basically says the job isn't that dangerous in reality but it is driven into every cop that danger lurks around every corner. Combine that fear with poor training and you get these types of killings.

Yeah I watched this on Friday night, and I can vouch for the fact police officers here and in the U.S. get very little firearms training.

I compete in pistol action shooting sports, and we take a training course for a full 3 days just to be allowed to compete (after our licensing, etc.), and we're already more trained than a CPS or EPS cop.... and this is from our trainers that train them, as well as CPS that compete with us.

In fact, a lof the cops that compete alongside us do so in order to sharpen up their skills so that they're better at their jobs... Go figure.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:33 PM   #350
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Yeah I watched this on Friday night, and I can vouch for the fact police officers here and in the U.S. get very little firearms training.

I compete in pistol action shooting sports, and we take a training course for a full 3 days just to be allowed to compete (after our licensing, etc.), and we're already more trained than a CPS or EPS cop.... and this is from our trainers that train them, as well as CPS that compete with us.

In fact, a lof the cops that compete alongside us do so in order to sharpen up their skills so that they're better at their jobs... Go figure.

In the state of Pennsylvania, in order to complete my licensing to become a cosmetologist, I had to complete 1250 hours of training.

A Pennsylvania state police officer needs 820.

I feel like that sums up the problem pretty well.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #351
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
In the state of Pennsylvania, in order to complete my licensing to become a cosmetologist, I had to complete 1250 hours of training.

A Pennsylvania state police officer needs 820.

I feel like that sums up the problem pretty well.

You had 1250 hours of firearms training to be a cosmetologist? That would be cool

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 10:50 PM   #352
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some of the talons I've seen on the hands of women after a mani/pedi ought to qualify as dangerous weapons... Better be packin' heat for your own safety.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:52 PM   #353
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

This is completely untrue of CPS and EPS. Nonsense. Further, the CPS doesn't outsource firearms training.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:19 AM   #354
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
This is completely untrue of CPS and EPS. Nonsense. Further, the CPS doesn't outsource firearms training.
I wager it's completely untrue for all police forces in Canada.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #355
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i don't think he's saying the CPS outsources. But the training is so lacking that police officers on their own are signing up for competitions to get more training and practice.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #356
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
i don't think he's saying the CPS outsources. But the training is so lacking that police officers on their own are signing up for competitions to get more training and practice.
Not sure what he meant. But it's still nonsense.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #357
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
I'm not saying all training is outsourced, just saying that guys that do CPS and RCMP training courses and/or annual checks also train us competitive shooters. This is what they tell us, and my home range is sometimes closed for police training sessions, so I don't know what else to tell you.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #358
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

nm
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #359
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
I'm not saying all training is outsourced, just saying that guys that do CPS and RCMP training courses and/or annual checks also train us competitive shooters. This is what they tell us, and my home range is sometimes closed for police training sessions, so I don't know what else to tell you.

How much firearm training does EPS/CPS receive then? Less than 3?..

That guest in the Bill Maher segment, stated 2 weeks, and that drew the ire from the panel and guests.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:11 PM   #360
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Approximately 120 hours during recruit training for firearms, and then ongoing training throughout the year when required, and then whenever one can go on their own for either self-directed training or one-on-one training if possible. Are police awesome gun fighters like Marines or something? No, not likely. But they also don't have to be.