Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #121
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Inhumans were set up as a mutant alternative. I would think that they are no longer part of the long term plan going forward.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #122
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The Inhumans were set up as a mutant alternative. I would think that they are no longer part of the long term plan going forward.
They have a Ms. Marvel series going into production that will tie in to Captain Marvel 2. Has the Kamala Khan character always had an Inhumans backstory? I'm not familiar with the comics.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #123
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

That was a satisfying conclusion. Wish they'd have done something different with Sam's new suit (It's fine I just don't like the color scheme... I think more emphasis on Red then white would have been better) but it's true to the comic book.

Heckova great final action set piece, nice "twist" with the Power Broker (not really a twist since a lot of people figured it was the case), and Walker has a satisfying end to his part in the story (Need more Wyatt Russell in the MCU... that guy has breakout star written all over him) really liked the bit with him and Bucky at the end.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #124
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Ok, I figured out the reason for my confusion. I’ve been watching The Falcon and the Snowman.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #125
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The Winter Soldier is my favourite Marvel movie, and definitely up there as my favourite comic book and just movie of all time.

I felt like Sebastian Stan was a great actor in the first Captain America, really hit his stride in Winter Soldier, was incredible again in Civil War, then took a back seat for the two Avengers installments (understandably, trying to juggle all of those pieces). While I understood why, I was still disappointed. He went from a guy who can take on multiple Avengers members at once, to fighting cap 1v1, to just standing there shooting at things.

It was very nice and enjoyable to see him take the spot light again in this series. I always thought of him as a great actor, but we saw some incredible depth in certain scenes, particularly when he is over coming his 'programming' in the flash back.

I think they did just an incredible job with his arc, and brought some really good closure in a satisfactory, but realistic (comic book realistic) way.

I really look forward to seeing more from him in the MCU, and I would not be opposed to him picking up the mantle of Master Skywalker. I believe he really is worthy as a humble yet extremely talented actor.

I thought the finale was great, it served its purpose.. I liked seeing Walker come back out, literally give his head a shake and show some common sense trying to save those people. I also find it interesting how he is being manipulated, and am excited to see where that goes. You have to feel for the guy, he literally is just doing what he thinks is right. What he was trained to do.

I would rank it in terms of episodes:

I might be mixing up 2 and 3, whatever one where they break out Zemo is the worst by far. Like a different tier of quality. But 4 saved this series, and they were able to carry that momentum forward just well enough to make the series overall feel good.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 04-23-2021 at 10:23 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2021, 04:10 PM   #126
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Good series, cool to see a new Cap. I hope they take away the stretchy stuff around his head though, just use the glasses or do a full helmet than can retract.

Wanted to see some kind of scene where the government demands the shield back and he defies them.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #127
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Well that was ####ing awesome.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2021, 06:38 PM   #128
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That brought a genuine smile to my face.

This show knocked it out of the park.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #129
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a big fan of the finale but it did what had to do. I think Walker should have dropped the Van and left him more grey. Full on cheese in the Falcon speech at the end and it just kept going.

I was hoping Karli would make it as a character and wished she had been more of a unlawful good rather than the few moments of evil. She could have been a good Villian.

Why did Sharon as power broker kill the super solider scientist?

Overall an okay series, I think I liked the individual parts and episodes more than the series as a whole. I think it missed a bit in that it didn’t know what genre it wanted to be. Buddy cop, spy thriller, or social commentary. My favourites were the Zemo/Bucky/Falcon buddy cop and the social commentary but don’t think they worked together. The action spy thriller power broker part was a little flat. Episode four and five were top tier TV which for a 5-6hr show having two great episodes works.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #130
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought Ep5 was exceptional, and 6 was a little bit of a come down. This was definitely the more fast paced, action packed superhero story than Wandavision. I found both shows engaging, but liked the conclusion of Wandavision more. (and to me it seems little bit like they blew the production budget or this show early, there was some great action early on, and a lot of wide faceless shots in this one.)

From a far, I thought the series was a pretty nice ideal of a racial justice storyline, for a show where that's the secondary story (a far as a 30 something white Canadian guy). Sam trying to keep the blinders up, then trying to excuse it, then overcoming it, then owning it. Bucky not seeing it at first, but actually letting Sam choose how he would deal with it.

I really liked Buckys arc growing back into his own personality, after loosing so much time and control over his life, it lets you remember all of the trauma/growth we have watch this character go throw over the course of 9 years.

I guess Carly was a throw away, not the real villain character. So don't need to dwell too much on her, but all her side kicks were a bit underused, as they all had equal power to her.

I do think this shows ending could age well, if Sharon Carter is used properly going forward. I'm hoping we see her character across several of the Disney plus series for a couple of years, in half the episodes pulling some strings, but not the primary antagonist. Then we get the big S**T it was Sharon all along moment, and a climatic series all about her, where they have to pick up all the threads she has been pulling.

I would have liked a clear indication that we are going to get a future Torres in the old Falcon suit story, that would have been a fun Marvel ester egg. and I liked the acting we did get there.

I wonder, if Val is working for Ross?
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:34 PM   #131
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some episodes were better than others, but I thought eps 5 and 6 were outstanding and the conclusion was more than satisfying. Excellent series overall IMO.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:19 PM   #132
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Coolest Sam Wilson has ever looked. And it was a fun end, Zemo got one last shot in, Walker is, as I, said USAgent and the Sharon as the power broker seems totally "off reservation" so curious to see where that and Bucky will go.

Asked earlier, but yes Kamala has always been an inhuman.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 01:34 AM   #133
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://mcuexchange.com/falcon-winte...s-coronavirus/

There was some virus subplot that had to be cut and reshot which likely explains a bit of parts feeling rushed or production values feeling uneven. That being said I really enjoyed it and feel Marvel has done really well with both series this year and am looking forward to Loki.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:27 AM   #134
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh, I thought the finale was bad. A lot of pointless punching with such a confused relationship to the themes that I just didn't care.

Falcons new suit looks ridiculous. The speech was also kind of all over the place.

I appreciate the brave effort to say something about something, but I don't know whether the writers ultimately weren't brave enough, or they just couldn't figure out what to say, or possibly blocked from saying the thing they really wanted to say, but in any case, the end was IMO fairly hollow.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #135
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
They have a Ms. Marvel series going into production that will tie in to Captain Marvel 2. Has the Kamala Khan character always had an Inhumans backstory? I'm not familiar with the comics.
She has. Hard to say if that will stay the case when she makes it to the screen.

I'm not counting out Karli returning down the road. After all, Bucky was famously one of the characters who actually stayed dead for a long, long time...until he eventually got better.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #136
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not 100% convinced that Sharon Carter isn't superdeep undercover to try and take down Elaine. I don't know if they would do the Carter name dirty like that.

I mean she risked her life against Hydra being one of the few Steve could trust, she sacrificed her career and freedom to get Steve and Sam their shield and wings. Yeah she had to go on the run and I'm sure that could make her cynical against the government but she seemed to be a person driven to do the right thing. More importantly, you would think Fury or Steve could have pulled some strings otherwise they sort of dropped the ball for her.

Or she's a Skrull.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 05:43 PM   #137
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I'm not 100% convinced that Sharon Carter isn't superdeep undercover to try and take down Elaine. I don't know if they would do the Carter name dirty like that.

I mean she risked her life against Hydra being one of the few Steve could trust, she sacrificed her career and freedom to get Steve and Sam their shield and wings. Yeah she had to go on the run and I'm sure that could make her cynical against the government but she seemed to be a person driven to do the right thing. More importantly, you would think Fury or Steve could have pulled some strings otherwise they sort of dropped the ball for her.

Or she's a Skrull.
See you get it too, it is weird. Maybe your skrull idea has legs, as it kind of makes the most sense. She is very out of character(to us), but is also now in a very useful position to a hostile alien force. World building for a secret invasion story.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2021, 10:19 PM   #138
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

Or she's a Skrull.
After Carter was pardoned and had her position restored, she called her assistant to start lining up buyers for US govt secrets and prototype weapons

I think its safe to say, she's completed her full heel turn
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:24 PM   #139
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I put the spoilers tag on this, so fair warning not to read unless you've watched the latest episode.
Can we rename the thread "Captain America and the Winter Soldier"?
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:41 AM   #140
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Can we rename the thread "Captain America and the Winter Soldier"?
Spoilers dude! Spoilers!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote