Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-31-2020, 08:14 AM   #1601
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Reiner Knizia winning streak continues as another one of his designs - Babylonia - is a hit with the family. It's a combination of a bunch of his earlier designs - Through the Desert, Samurai, Tigris & Euphrates, Blue Lagoon - but it all hangs together really well.

My Christmas gift to myself this year was Struggle of Empires Deluxe, a handsome box of empire-building goodness. The game is always a hit when we can get the 6-7 players together, but the chintzy components - especially the tiny board - let it down. Now the components match the ambition of the design.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #1602
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got my copy of TI4 Prophecy of Kings... just starting to sleeve it. This thing is absolutely epic. Can't wait to try out a couple of the new races and see how the mech units affect things.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #1603
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Teotihuacan publisher cuts ties with designer over “racist remarks” and ‘failed’ apology

Tzolk’in co-creator Daniele Tascini faces criticism from the community, as well.

https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/te...board-and-dice
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:32 PM   #1604
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Mars is pretty fun. It was a bit intimidating to get started due to its high difficulty rating on BGG but it isn't too bad. I think there's a lot of strategy that will take time to master but getting into the game wasn't nearly as bad as my wife and I were expecting.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:48 AM   #1605
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Newest play is Dominant Species, and oh wow what a good game. It's so ruthless and viscous. Very fun.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #1606
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game Toppers is having their 3rd kickstarter - the previous 2 were successfully funded and delivered.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-game-you-play

Got one a long time ago and it's pretty darn sweet - way more practical and cheaper than crazy dedicated versions from places like Wyrmwood. Used more for poker than board games and it's been great and well reviewed. Playing anything is always better on a 3mm neoprene roll!

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:01 AM   #1607
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default What is your favorite board game?

So if I remember correctly some of you here have dealt with Wheatland woodwork for tables. Does anyone know if everything is ok with him? We designed and planned out a coffee/lego/board game table back in Jan/feb and sent him the deposit. Communication was never an issue until now. I was just hoping to get some sort of update on things but no answer. Also noticed his social media has went silent.

Last edited by spetch; 06-25-2021 at 11:04 AM.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:57 PM   #1608
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Magic is soon releasing a set that is based for the first time on a D&D theme, Forgotten Realms. The cards previewed so far look really cool, with some interesting new mechanics. I think this is a set I will collect:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...rgotten-realms
https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...lms-2021-07-02

Releases on MTGA digital platforms July 8th.

Last edited by troutman; 07-07-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:27 AM   #1609
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone feel like playing a game of TI4 this Saturday at the Sentry Box? We're setting up a game and it would be great if we could find another player.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #1610
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Anyone feel like playing a game of TI4 this Saturday at the Sentry Box? We're setting up a game and it would be great if we could find another player.
If this opportunity pops again, I'd love to have a go. I've never played the game and if you're willing to teach it, I'm in.

I would obviously prep by reading rules and watching walkthroughs first
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #1611
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, I'll shoot you a PM when it comes up... That said we've played it twice in two weeks and yesterday had a couple of new players which extends the game (yesterday was about 9 hours) so I think some people are a bit burned out on it for now. We'll probably do Here I Stand next.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 12:15 PM   #1612
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Sure, I'll shoot you a PM when it comes up... That said we've played it twice in two weeks and yesterday had a couple of new players which extends the game (yesterday was about 9 hours) so I think some people are a bit burned out on it for now. We'll probably do Here I Stand next.
re: TI - Totally fair.

If you ever have a seat you need to fill, I'd love to attend.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #1613
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found another great game - Trickerion. Tons of fun and very tight. My one issue with the game, is that while the theme is fantastic, it fails to deliver on the theme in a really satisfying way. It's about magic - learning new tricks and then ultimately performing them for money and victory points, but the actual performance is a let down. Leaves you wanting more. But my wife and I both enjoy it a lot.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #1614
monkey brewery
Farm Team Player

Exp:

My family has gotten into Tiny Towns. It's quite fun, requires a sort of spatial awareness and ability to keep track of strategies in your head (I'm making it sound confusing, but it really isn't).
monkey brewery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:59 AM   #1615
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got my copy of return to dark tower yesterday. Played it solo to try it out and it was quite fun. The app/tower/board felt great and went together quite well. Hopefully will get some 4 player playthroughs soon. Probably the main downside is that it takes up a ton of space on the table. That being said setup and take down is still quick.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:36 PM   #1616
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Friendly Local Game Store

https://www.calgaryundergroundfilm.o...cal-game-store

Quote:
In-person Q&A with director Garry Snow & Gordon Johansen following the screening!

The unlikely story of the world’s largest game store – The Sentry Box – located in Calgary.

Communities are not just bound by borders – they are often comprised of people with shared passions. A friendly local game store (FLGS) is a unique place where people can connect with each other, create memories, and build community. Celebrating over 40 years of operation, the Sentry Box in Calgary, Alberta has grown to become the world’s largest game store. It has achieved this incredible milestone by being an inviting and welcoming space for people of all backgrounds to enjoy table top games, such as Dungeons and Dragons. The documentary from CUFF alumnus and Calgarian Garry Snow shares the unique history of the Sentry Box by interviewing the owner, long-time customers, current and former employees, and local industry influencers who have all been connected by the friendly local game store.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2022, 05:54 PM   #1617
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see this bumped. I've started getting together with a couple friends lately to play more in-person games. We got our hands on a copy of Ark Nova and played Saturday night. It was awesome. Can't wait to play again.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:13 AM   #1618
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Nice to see this bumped. I've started getting together with a couple friends lately to play more in-person games. We got our hands on a copy of Ark Nova and played Saturday night. It was awesome. Can't wait to play again.
Ark Nova is at the top of my list of games to try. It looks really good
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:20 AM   #1619
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I really hope the filmmakers didn’t venture into the bathroom.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:48 PM   #1620
Flambé
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
My wife and I went crazy for Christmas and got each other a bunch of board games. We've tried one so far - Nemesis. And oh my god it's good. So much fun. We had an epic game where my wife died on the last turn and then with the very last card to be played I managed to hibernate and shoot off to earth. It was something out of a movie. Fantastic game.
I recently was introduced to Nemesis, and also fell in love with it. I just finished sleeving my copy yesterday! I have played three times: first game the ship blew up due to too many malfunctions (40 minutes in). Second game I was able to get into the hybernatorium and fulfill my objective, though I sadly was infected so ended up dead. 3rd game I won off of a dirty play where myself (Scout) and the pilot were rushing for the closest escape pod. I promised I would wait for him as the 1st pod had been ejected due to an Event. Sadly for him, I couldn't risk a noise roll after making mine, and jettisoned the second I strapped in. He died a few turns later.

Love the game, though sadly the stretch goal content is nigh impossible to find. I think I will pick up Carnomorphs, but really want the Aftermath expansion and the Medic to fill out the roster. The terrain pack would also be nice, mainly for the corpses of the player characters!

Last edited by Flambé; 05-01-2022 at 09:02 PM.
Flambé is offline   Reply With Quote