Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #101
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Blues make much more sense as a trading partner for Tkachuk than the Sens. The Blues are in win now mode, so a deal would likely centre around one of their blue chip younger players, so Thomas or Kyrou.

Tkachuk
Flames 2nd 2021 (from Florida)

for

Thomas
Blais
St Louis 1st 2021
St Louis 3rd 2021
The only 2021 second rounder we own is our own. We have the Panthers' 2022 second rounder
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #102
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Calgary tries to retool, there will be a serious rebuild right around the corner.

You can retool when you have older assets that are still productive that teams covet.

Calgary doesn’t have that. Their core is largely declining in value, with large cap hits and terms getting shorter and shorter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 11:49 AM   #103
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of debbie downers around these days- Sentiment in the team seems at one of the all time lows I can recall. The Sutter tonic was brief.

If we trade Tkachuk he'll still have plenty of value. I personally believe Monahan will have much more value than some predict as well.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #104
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure Tkachuk, and the Flames in general, will rebound next year. So a lot of these discussions might be moot.
The Sutter effect doesn't usually occur until the first full season.

For Tkachuk, it's also a contract year, so he'll probably up his play quite a bit. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get at least 70 points.

I'm more concerned about the contract that follows next season and how the QO requirement affects Tkachuk's trade value.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 01:39 PM   #105
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If Calgary tries to retool, there will be a serious rebuild right around the corner.

You can retool when you have older assets that are still productive that teams covet.

Calgary doesn’t have that. Their core is largely declining in value, with large cap hits and terms getting shorter and shorter.

We don’t have a core.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #106
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Lots of debbie downers around these days- Sentiment in the team seems at one of the all time lows I can recall. The Sutter tonic was brief.

If we trade Tkachuk he'll still have plenty of value. I personally believe Monahan will have much more value than some predict as well.
My opinion of Monny trade value (or lack thereof) is based on (a) a relatively large cap hit in a stagnant cap world with little revenue; (b) two years left on his contract; and (3) his relative lack of offensive production which continues to decrease seemingly weekly.

I expect he could be traded for a flawed player with cap, such as Risto. But the days of him also bringing in a premium prospect are gone at this stage. It why I would gamble on him getting better, as I don't like that return. Is it a likely gamble? Probably not, but not much to lose.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #107
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

I don’t think your wrong but I think they need to try because I don’t think it makes sense going down the tank route after a bad season playing only 6 teams without fans being stuck at home/hotel.

I think the Flames will be looking to sell Gaudreau, Monahan, and while they are not crazy high value they will be 27/28 and not the typical 30+ aging asset you describe above.

With Sutter and Markstrom locked up for the next few years I think this team will attempt a retool and get back to the identity that all Sutter teams are known for. Flames will be top 5-10 in goals against average and bottom 5-10 in goals scored. They will likely get heavier and harder to play against and have players committed to that style.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:41 PM   #108
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t think your wrong but I think they need to try because I don’t think it makes sense going down the tank route after a bad season playing only 6 teams without fans being stuck at home/hotel.

I think the Flames will be looking to sell Gaudreau, Monahan, and while they are not crazy high value they will be 27/28 and not the typical 30+ aging asset you describe above.

With Sutter and Markstrom locked up for the next few years I think this team will attempt a retool and get back to the identity that all Sutter teams are known for. Flames will be top 5-10 in goals against average and bottom 5-10 in goals scored. They will likely get heavier and harder to play against and have players committed to that style.
It helps they are younger for sure, but the shortness of their contract control and the fact they keep getting worse doesn't help.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:26 AM   #109
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the remaining games it would be nice to see some evidence that Tkachuk wants to be part of the team and the solutions. Otherwise I look forward to seeing who comes over in a trade.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #110
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Plus, a deal for a Tarasenko is for Tkachuk +, not the other way around.
LMAO. Yes, an also struggling almost 30 year old Tarasenko coming off a major injury that does not guarantee he returns to form is worth more than a 23 year old Tkachuk having an off year amidst a crapstorm of attributing factors with his team. Utterly laughable.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 08:59 AM   #111
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
In the remaining games it would be nice to see some evidence that Tkachuk wants to be part of the team and the solutions. Otherwise I look forward to seeing who comes over in a trade.
I think we need to be hesitant to put much stock in anything this team does before the end of the season. With the last lost and the Habs win the Flames are absolutely done and now just playing out the string.

I am more interested to hear what he has to say at the end of the season to see if he owns up for the bad year and remains committed to the organization.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #112
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
LMAO. Yes, an also struggling almost 30 year old Tarasenko coming off a major injury that does not guarantee he returns to form is worth more than a 23 year old Tkachuk having an off year amidst a crapstorm of attributing factors with his team. Utterly laughable.
Count the 35-40 goal seasons. St. Louis is (a) not getting rid of Taransenko and (b) doing better than Tkachuk if they even decided to. Plus $7.5M v. $9M is pretty big.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #113
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I'm pretty sure Tkachuk, and the Flames in general, will rebound next year. So a lot of these discussions might be moot.
The Sutter effect doesn't usually occur until the first full season.

For Tkachuk, it's also a contract year, so he'll probably up his play quite a bit. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get at least 70 points.

I'm more concerned about the contract that follows next season and how the QO requirement affects Tkachuk's trade value.
Except when in LA they went 11-2-6 when Sutter stepped in and then won the SC in 20 games 16-4 in the playoffs
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #114
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man, I love Tkachuk (or used to), he's on my jersey, I'm not in the trade him camp and could see him rebound next year but I will say that he's really starting to piss me off with his uninspired and bonehead plays

It's like if he's not being a #### disturber or tipping pucks he's otherwise pretty useless...at least this year
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #115
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thus team is so cursed. We always wind up with the wrong brother. Tkachuk, Stone, Bure, Niedermeyer.

Although I do like Michael Stone.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #116
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Wayne Primeau

Tarasenko discussion is silly. Full NTC; he's not waiving for CGY.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:46 PM   #117
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We probably have the better Tanev...

we had both Hamilton's, which means we did have the worse one...

Brett Ritchie < Nick.

TIL Buddy Robinson has a better brother (Eric Robinson)
Old 04-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #118
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We also had both Drury, Regehr, Shore brothers.

Max played 13 fewer games than Griffin Reinhart...probably fair to call them tied for worst compared to Sam.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #119
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Except when in LA they went 11-2-6 when Sutter stepped in and then won the SC in 20 games 16-4 in the playoffs
Yeah, well they were much better than this group.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #120
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Thus team is so cursed. We always wind up with the wrong brother. Tkachuk, Stone, Bure, Niedermeyer.

Although I do like Michael Stone.

I chuckled.

Burke somehow got the Niedermayers to play together elsewhere, also the Sedins.

Too bad all they could get here was Freddie Hamilton
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote