Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #2341
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
. This deal SHOULD be a slam dunk
Mind supporting this statement on why it should be a slam dunk?

If its simply that people from Calgary don't hold hockey on such a high pillar that we would sign over a blank check to a for-profit organization no matter the cost, fine, Calgary is less blind than others when it comes to the fantasy of sports and the economy.

Is it something else?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #2342
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Defence of the CFL isn't really a hill I'd die on with Jordon though, it's objectively a pretty lame league (the football is good though).
I'm not really into football and never really gave the sport (and by extension, the CFL) a chance. Just not for me I guess.

With the CFL, the lack of teams just seems boring. It's too bad the American expansion failed years back, because that could have been a game changer. I know the NFL at one time propped up the CFL because it sometimes helped tweeners hone their skills until they were ready, but did they give up on the whole CFL as a an NFL development league idea?

Sorry, way OT I know.

I do think Jordan is right though that the tolerance to subsidize these things is a measure of affinity. I get that it is hard to swallow for a lot of people, but if Calgary doesn't do it, another city will. Eventually the arena needs to be replaced in order to host an NHL team. It either gets done or it doesn't, but I can all but guarantee it doesn't get done without some public money being used. Right or wrong, I don't see any way getting around it when the owners can just cash out rather than paying for the whole thing.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #2343
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Yeah, probably because it's the entertainment capital of the entire universe with god knows how many major sports leagues, places to visit, and things to do.

In Canada it's NHL and really little else sports wise. Sorry, Blue Jays and Raptors bandwagons don't count.

Don't get my started on the lameness that is the CFL.
That’s crazy, maybe the NBA but internationally the EPL and other Euro soccer competitions are the centre. The US is nothing globally, who cares about the NFL in Paris, Munich or Milan?
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #2344
puckbrain
Draft Pick

how is the arena in calgary doing?

are there any problems?

is the city refusing to fund for the project?

need to know...
puckbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #2345
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckbrain View Post
how is the arena in calgary doing?

are there any problems?

is the city refusing to fund for the project?

need to know...
Right now it appears to be going as well as your capitalization and sentence structure.

Both need improvement.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 03:08 PM   #2346
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
You asked a fair question of the poster, only to end it with an obvious predisposed bias that the responses must be contrived?

Why add that?
I add that because I'm pretty sure I am going to get the same recycled responses that everyone who hates the CFL says.

Not enough teams, bush league, small time, sub par talent, lame rules, etc. If anyone ever came up with something new, or heaven forbid, some actual ideas on improving the league I'd be all ears. We are so quick to dismiss our own product as being inferior (for whatever reasons people think make it inferior) but no one offers to step up and provide solutions to fix it. Do people want to see it die? Does it offend them that much? Anyways I talking to the wind on this one it seems.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:32 PM   #2347
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The CFL surviving this decade this a genuine question now; especially due to COVID. The league is only held up by the older demographic since the younger one that they need want nothing to do with it. In the three most major cities in the country - Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver - it's in the bottom of the league in attendance. So when people #### on the league, it's justified since it doesn't have much to stand on nowadays.

CFL has really failed in capture the youth demograph over the past couple of decades. It may be their death.
Quote:
The Sports Business Journal has performed research on the average age of sports fans in the United States. This is what the data shows.

SPORT AVG. AGE 2000 AVG. AGE 2006 AVG. AGE 2016
PGA Tour .........N/A ..................59 .....................64
LPGA .................N/A ..................59 .....................63
Horse racing..... ..51 ..................56 .....................63
ATP tennis .........51 ..................56 .....................61
NASCAR .........N/A................ ...49 .....................58
MLB .................52 ..................52 .....................57
WNBA ..........42 ..................49 .....................55
WTA Tennis ..58 ..................63 .....................55
Olympics ..........45 ..................50 .....................53
College football ..47 ..................48 .....................52
College basketball. 44 ..........48 .....................52
NFL ..................44 ..................46 .....................50
Boxing ..........45 ..................47 .....................49
NHL ..................33 ..................42 .....................49
NBA ..................40 ..................40 .....................42
MLS .................N/A...................39 .....................40
https://3downnation.com/2021/03/23/h...s-of-cfl-fans/

Aging demographic among fans is not a problem unique to the CFL. The NHL went from an average age of 33 in 2000 to 49 in 2016. That is a huge problem.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #2348
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

who knew charging hundreds of dollars per seat and blacking out games on TV wouldn't attract young fans
Old 04-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #2349
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
I add that because I'm pretty sure I am going to get the same recycled responses that everyone who hates the CFL says.

Not enough teams, bush league, small time, sub par talent, lame rules, etc. If anyone ever came up with something new, or heaven forbid, some actual ideas on improving the league I'd be all ears. We are so quick to dismiss our own product as being inferior (for whatever reasons people think make it inferior) but no one offers to step up and provide solutions to fix it. Do people want to see it die? Does it offend them that much? Anyways I talking to the wind on this one it seems.
It's an objectively podunk league, for the reasons you mentioned especially. Why does it have to be more than that? Do people really need to wow you with new and exciting reasons why it kinda sucks when the obvious is already there? People don't hate the CFL. It'd be great if they did! The CFL offends people? No, not that either. The problem is that people don't care about the CFL... because it's lame. And that's why no one provides solutions to fix it... because they don't care... they don't want to see it die, because they don't care... because it's the CFL.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #2350
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
https://3downnation.com/2021/03/23/h...s-of-cfl-fans/

Aging demographic among fans is not a problem unique to the CFL. The NHL went from an average age of 33 in 2000 to 49 in 2016. That is a huge problem.
As great as Bettman has been in making the NHL as big as it is... I can't help but think it's time to get someone new in charge with a vision for the future.

Feels like the NHL today is as Bettman intended it to be, vision achieved, hang your hat and go forth. Someone needs to come in and figure out how to appeal to people under 30, and their children.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:25 PM   #2351
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Feels like the NHL today is as Bettman intended it to be, vision achieved, hang your hat and go forth. Someone needs to come in and figure out how to appeal to people under 30, and their children.
You mean having the word "celly" in every tv ad is not enough?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #2352
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
You mean having the word "celly" in every tv ad is not enough?
Bar-downski Brah!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:34 PM   #2353
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that hockey could be a lot more popular in the US if college hockey gained more of a following.

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are probably the most followed and well-known hockey team in Indiana, despite the fact that the Fort Wayne Komets and Indy Fuel are professional teams.
Fans of NCAA teams tend to be young since they're in college.

But overall, I think that hockey's main problem is the players' lack of presented personality.
McDavid is pretty much a young Kessel at this point, except less likeable. Practically no one in the non-hockey markets within the Midwest has ever heard of McDavid.
Gretzky and Crosby are much more famous and I would argue that they were better at acting as faces of the sport. People here still talk about Gretzky's time on the Indianapolis Racers.

Modern NHL players, for the most part, are almost too professional. They never say anything interesting in interviews and it all comes across as being superficial. Even most CHL players are already very polished by the time they are drafted into the NHL.
Russian players used to be villainized because of the natural USSR and USA rivalry. Now Russian players are beloved by fans because they're more willing to actually show the quirkiness in their personalities.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #2354
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one has personality because you get punished in the media for it.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #2355
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
No one has personality because you get punished in the media for it.
Like when your fellow Oilers fans wanted to crucify David Rittich for his stick flip. The audacity!!!
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #2356
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like the NHL deliberately markets to older fans.

These must be the top six songs most commonly played in NHL arenas:

1. Queen - We Will Rock You
2. Motley Crue - Kick Start My Heart
3. AC/DC - Hells Bells
4. G'n'R - Welcome to the Jungel
5. Ramones - Blitzkreig
6. Ozzy Osborne - Crazy Train

Totally catering to that 50+ white metal head crowd. Don't get me wrong, all great songs IMO, but to people 25 and under, it's dinosaur music. I don't watch enough other sports to know if this is true with other leagues, so I am going out a limb and assuming not. And remember the time in 2008 they paid Def Leppard to go to the NHL awards? Or when they paid Snoop Doggy Dog to go to NHL games and promote the league? That was actually on the right track, but again, he was in his prime 20 years before that. It was a similar thing when they hired Green Day last year for the All-Star game. Great band and still putting out music, but are they relevant with the younger demographics?

I hate it, but celebrity promotion is a very effective marketing tool. Something the NBA, MLB, and NFL use much more effectively than the NHL.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #2357
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

3. AC/DC - Hells Bells
5. Ramones - Blitzkreig

Totally catering to that 50+ white metal head crowd. Don't get me wrong, all great songs IMO, but to people 25 and under, it's dinosaur music. I don't watch enough other sports to know if this is true with other leagues, so I am going out a limb and assuming not. And remember the time in 2008 they paid Def Leppard to go to the NHL awards? Or when they paid Snoop Doggy Dog to go to NHL games and promote the league? That was actually on the right track, but again, he was in his prime 20 years before that. It was a similar thing when they hired Green Day last year for the All-Star game. Great band and still putting out music, but are they relevant with the younger demographics?

I hate it, but celebrity promotion is a very effective marketing tool. Something the NBA, MLB, and NFL use much more effectively than the NHL.
Completely agree.

The Leafs barn does a decent job of this, they have a DJ spinning newer music. The problem is you have to make 6 figures to be there consistently, so everyone is older.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:20 PM   #2358
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:

3. AC/DC - Hells Bells
5. Ramones - Blitzkreig

The MLB is probably doing worse than hockey in promoting to young people.

Isn’t the average age of a baseball fan these days something like in the 50s?
Old 04-22-2021, 07:34 PM   #2359
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

3. AC/DC - Hells Bells
5. Ramones - Blitzkreig

Any list like this that excludes 'Cotton Eyed Joe' is a list not worth reading.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #2360
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I think that hockey could be a lot more popular in the US if college hockey gained more of a following.

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are probably the most followed and well-known hockey team in Indiana, despite the fact that the Fort Wayne Komets and Indy Fuel are professional teams.
Fans of NCAA teams tend to be young since they're in college.

But overall, I think that hockey's main problem is the players' lack of presented personality.
McDavid is pretty much a young Kessel at this point, except less likeable. Practically no one in the non-hockey markets within the Midwest has ever heard of McDavid.
Gretzky and Crosby are much more famous and I would argue that they were better at acting as faces of the sport. People here still talk about Gretzky's time on the Indianapolis Racers.

Modern NHL players, for the most part, are almost too professional. They never say anything interesting in interviews and it all comes across as being superficial. Even most CHL players are already very polished by the time they are drafted into the NHL.
Russian players used to be villainized because of the natural USSR and USA rivalry. Now Russian players are beloved by fans because they're more willing to actually show the quirkiness in their personalities.
FWIW I have gone to a lot of college hockey games and IMO it’s not that entertaining a product. It’s too bad because you have a built in audience. Same for college baseball which has extremely limited appeal as well.

Maybe that’s part of the reason neither sport has near the following of the NBA and the NFL.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote